Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pace Car / 82 GT / RS lower connection to upper?

I have a 1983 Mercury Capri that I am putting the RS lower bumper cover on. I purchased the Dennis carpenter reproduction lower and have a stock 83 Capri upper for a GS. I know I need to cut away some of that lower portion of the Gs bumper cover but I’m hoping someone can give some pictorial guidelines for how It should look. I also have purchased the side panels that go over the lower fenders So that part makes sense, I just cannot see exactly how the upper and lower bumper covers are connected to each other. Am I missing something?

I should add I’m spraying primer tomorrow for a key part of this several year restoration!

The upper part is a totally unique item from the standard one. I dont know if there is a way to make the lower work with it.

https://youtu.be/kdItx54QPlg

this video At about the 2 min mark has a clue pointing to a Thin brace but it’s so fast I can’t get much.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    The upper part is a totally unique item from the standard one. I dont know if there is a way to make the lower work with it.
    I know it isn’t the same but I was under the impression people have done this before??.

Here is a break down of the parts and pieces of the PC/GT/RS lower

Name:  20udedz.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  168.1 KB

Without most of the parts and pieces you are going to have to fabricate a lot to make it work. In regards to the upper, they are specific when using the lower air dam because they have tabs that are molded in that hold the upper and lower together when assembled.

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  7.3 KB

Not show in the picture above is the High Density Foam strip that helps to attach the upper and lower together and then attach them to the front bumper reinforcement.

Bottom line is that you can make anything work, but it will take some creative solutions on your behalf to sort it out. Often the better or simpler option is the Xenon lower air dam that will attach over the stock Capri front cover and not need all the extra parts and pieces. Obviously not your first choice since you have already bought the lower, but it's an option for many to consider.

I would suggest that you also buy the fog light bracket if you don't have one already and as many of the attaching pieces as you can. Without the bracket the front lower air dam will not have much structure or strength and most likely will not hold up long term, nor fit very well. Obviously again you can fabricate something similar to help attach the air dam, but the fog light bracket will make things much easier. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thank you Trey as always you're very helpful! I do have the lower fog light bracket tree and clips. The only piece that I think I'm missing is the High Density Foam strip that helps to attach the upper and lower together and then attach them to the front bumper reinforcement.

That doesn't appear in the diagram that I can see. Does anyone have a picture of that component?

Do you know if it is available in the aftermarket has remade or does a guy have to find an original? Has anyone else tried to reproduce it before? Is it something which is best made of square small tubing?

Another question... Do you know what the purpose of the little notches are in the top edge of the lower air damn? I can't see where they engage in the correct upper but I assume somehow they do? Does anyone have a close up of where the two connect in the area of these notches?

Quote Originally Posted by foot2floor View Post
    Thank you Trey as always you're very helpful! I do have the lower fog light bracket tree and clips. The only piece that I think I'm missing is the High Density Foam strip that helps to attach the upper and lower together and then attach them to the front bumper reinforcement.

That doesn't appear in the diagram that I can see. Does anyone have a picture of that component?

Do you know if it is available in the aftermarket has remade or does a guy have to find an original? Has anyone else tried to reproduce it before? Is it something which is best made of square small tubing?
    Another question... Do you know what the purpose of the little notches are in the top edge of the lower air damn? I can't see where they engage in the correct upper but I assume somehow they do? Does anyone have a close up of where the two connect in the area of these notches?
    I have a foam strip that I should be able to take pictures of today if I can remember. I will try and show also how the upper and lower bolt together in regards to the notches, etc. I just have to not get distracted working on my Bronco today.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Thanks Trey! This is a big help!

I just went through this a year or so ago. Trey helped me figure it out. Wish I had taken pictures! I didn't have any of the parts, including the foam strip. It was like working on a very awkward puzzle, but once I figured everything out, it wasn't too bad.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

There is a groove in the bottom of the upper section that those tabs on the lower piece slip into. The foam strip has studs in it that fit through holes in the bumper support and get nuts on the back side to hold the two parts together and onto the support. It is a bit of a bear to get it all fitted together especially if your doing it after paint.

Ok Here we go!

Foam reinforcement strip that sits behind the lower air to keep it push out against the upper cover. The metal studs bolt through the metal front bumper.

Name:  IMG-7085.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  352.4 KB

Name:  IMG-7086.jpg
Size:  349.3 KB

Name:  IMG-7087.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  362.3 KB

This is the upper cover that shows the lower tabs that attach to the front bumper metal reinforcement.

Name:  IMG-7089.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  590.8 KB

This picture shows how the notches in the lower air dam match up with the tabs of the upper cover when installed.

Name:  IMG-7092.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  546.6 KB
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

These are the metal brackets that are riveted to the upper bumper cover that the lower air dam attaches to.

Name:  IMG-7090.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  491.9 KB

Name:  IMG-7091.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  502.1 KB

This is the lower air dam shown attaching to the brackets when installed.

Name:  IMG-7093.jpg
Size:  310.5 KB

Name:  IMG-7096.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  371.7 KB

Close up view of the notches and the tabs when installed.

Name:  IMG-7094.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  246.2 KB

Hope that helps to explain some of the assembly and parts of the PC/GT/RS front end. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    These are the metal brackets that are riveted to the upper bumper cover that the lower air dam attaches to.

Name:  IMG-7090.jpg
Size:  491.9 KB

Name:  IMG-7091.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  502.1 KB

This is the lower air dam shown attaching to the brackets when installed.

Name:  IMG-7093.jpg
Size:  310.5 KB

Name:  IMG-7096.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  371.7 KB

Close up view of the notches and the tabs when installed.

Name:  IMG-7094.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  246.2 KB

Hope that helps to explain some of the assembly and parts of the PC/GT/RS front end. Good Luck!
    YOU SIR ARE AMAZING! THANKS ISN'T A STRONG ENOUGH WORD BECAUSE THIS ISN'T THE FIRST TIME! I don't know many people who would take time to do what you have done for me and I don't even known you! I think I can fab some of this up but we'll see

I shot primer on the whole car except the front bumper since I'm still sorting this out. Its amazing how a fairly rust free car without many notable body work has SO MUCH little nit picky body work to do... I took all of last week off work to paint this car and successfully only got it in primer. Overall I feel pretty good about it but do wish I would have gotten farther. Highlight was working with my kids! They sanded jams and masked off jams, etc. Today my 15 year old son and 12 year old daughter shot primer on the underside of the fenders and hood. Good memories!

Happy to help!

Congrats on getting the kids involved. My daughters don't have much interest in my hobby of choice. I did get them to help me carry the top for my Bronco and set it back on the Bronco so that is good!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Ok Here we go!

Foam reinforcement strip that sits behind the lower air to keep it push out against the upper cover. The metal studs bolt through the metal front bumper.

Name:  IMG-7085.jpg
Size:  352.4 KB

Name:  IMG-7086.jpg
Size:  349.3 KB

Name:  IMG-7087.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  362.3 KB

This is the upper cover that shows the lower tabs that attach to the front bumper metal reinforcement.
    Hi Trey - another favor to ask - Can you measure the dimensions of this from the standpoint of cross section (not overall length)?

Hi Trey - another favor to ask - Can you measure the dimensions of this from the standpoint of cross section (not overall length)?
    Luckily I haven't put it up yet, so I should be able to do that tomorrow . . . If I remember.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Is it made of foam (somewhere I read this)... and foam alone? Or is there metal strips somewhere in this? Also do the wide slot-ish holes in the front serve any purpose that you can see? Or is everything held together with bolts/nuts/screws?

I walked by the piece multiple times over the weekend and yet still never stopped to measure it. Sorry!

As for construction, the piece is a hard foam makeup. Has some give, but overall very firm. The slots/wide openings as shown above are where the metal bracket and studs sit. The bracket is a U channel piece with a stud attached. The stud goes through the foam into the front metal bumper and the U channel spreads the load across the foam so it doesn't pull through. The two longest slots in the last picture are just open slots most likely to either save foam and $$ or to add some structure and strength to the design. I will try and get a measurement and take some closer pictures for you this evening after work.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Trey I’m a beggar and a chooser and I was always taught not to be either... any luck? The Capri paint job attempt #2 is tomorrow so hoping to assemble soon

Sorry for the delay. Haven't been in the garage much this week.

Thickness (Front to Rear on the car) is @ 1" - 1.25" Thinnest where it bolts to the front bumper reinforcement, most likely due to compression.

Height (Ground to Sky) is @ 1.75" across the entire length or width of the piece.

Hope that helps and sorry again for the delays. If you need more specifications let me know and I should be able to get them tomorrow for you. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller