Close

FEP Power Member

Default Small rant about bad facts in books, non-car guys shouldn't try to write about cars.

So I'm about halfway through this quasi-detective novel called The Quick by David Vining and just keep running into cringe worthy car "facts".

The author wants to portray the protagonist detective as a big car nut, yet should've done some research.

So far he's had the character driving around Southern California in a 1964 Porsche 356 convertible, a 1968 Mustang GT 390 and a 1970 Challenger. All decent enough cars. Then he'll add something cringeworthy like have the guy open the HATCHBACK on the 68 Mustang If it's not that, it's talking about the 454 Hemi in the Challenger.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH HHHHHH!!!!!

If you don't know cars, don't try to write about them. Just when I get back into the story he says something else stupid that ruins it for me.

I just wish people would stop telling me...."You know the Mustang was named after the P-51 airplane".

NO IT WAS NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Joe Oreos and Gale Halderman told me face to face that is was never named after he plane.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Lazy writing.
    You're never too old!