Close

Default EFI Question for the efi gurus

This is a good one for the efi gurus. Imagine you took the efi setup from an 88-91 ford crown vic i.e. 15426378 firing order, 14lb injectors,etc. What would be the result of changing the injectors to the 19lb and used the larger mustang TB and MAF (assuming you are running maf) but still use the non-ho ecm from the crown vic?
    Greg
    Gaze upon the light and see that it is blue.

This wouldn't work on a Mustang. The results wouldn't be pretty or worth it. For starters the firing order (which affects the injectors as well) would be incorrect on an HO motor.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

I meant on the non-ho crown vic engine not on the ho engine. Hypothetically speaking, how would the non-ho engine react to the larger injectors and TB? All other variables being equal.
    Greg

Ask this question on http://www.grandmarq.net/

You will get an answer.

The injectors wont help any but the TB and a proper HO upper intake would help. Did it myself to my crown vic before going all out on the car.

Maf would do nothing as they were never maf equipped unless 90/91 cali cars.

Also many pins on the ecm are in the wrong location.

It's pretty simple to do a full h.o. swap.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

If there is no additional demand for fuel, larger injectors just make tuning harder. The whole idea of a 19 pounder being a large injector shows how far we've come in 30+ years....

computer expecting 14lb and using 19lb = horribly rich bad running car.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    The computer doesn't know what size injectors it's firing. If the air intake is increased along with the fuel and that mixture is correct for the engine, then why wouldn't it work? I haven't done this, of course...just brainstorming like oldiron.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    The computer doesn't know what size injectors it's firing. If the air intake is increased along with the fuel and that mixture is correct for the engine, then why wouldn't it work? I haven't done this, of course...just brainstorming like oldiron.
    Pretty sure that small increase in TB size alone is NOT going to get you enough airflow to "lean" the mixture out.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Ask this question on http://www.grandmarq.net/

You will get an answer.

The injectors wont help any but the TB and a proper HO upper intake would help. Did it myself to my crown vic before going all out on the car.

Maf would do nothing as they were never maf equipped unless 90/91 cali cars.

Also many pins on the ecm are in the wrong location.
    You did this? 19lb inj., HO upper and TB? Only? How did the stock SD ecm behave? Codes, drive-ability,any issues. I'm super curious about this. For years we've been told that the SD systems don't respond well to changes that affect airflow. A contact I have at FRPP states that while that may be partially true, the part that affects the SD only happens if you alter VE i.e. cam changes or forced induction. I believe that the SD ecm's are a lot more adaptable than have previously been given credit. Now I know it's not MAF adaptable, but it's not an "all or nothing" type scenario either.
    Please let me know how it worked out.
    Thanks
    Greg

I have drastically affected airflow in my SD cfi and it was able to compensate with no issues at all. Conservatively a 60 hp increase over stock.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Just the egr spacer bored out larger (63mm or so) matching mustang throttle body and a ho upper intake. No issues at all. More power on the butt dyno. Also added headers.

Car is no where near stock now.

Quote Originally Posted by oldiron View Post
    You did this? 19lb inj., HO upper and TB? Only? How did the stock SD ecm behave? Codes, drive-ability,any issues. I'm super curious about this. For years we've been told that the SD systems don't respond well to changes that affect airflow. A contact I have at FRPP states that while that may be partially true, the part that affects the SD only happens if you alter VE i.e. cam changes or forced induction. I believe that the SD ecm's are a lot more adaptable than have previously been given credit. Now I know it's not MAF adaptable, but it's not an "all or nothing" type scenario either.
    Please let me know how it worked out.
    Thanks
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Just the egr spacer bored out larger (63mm or so) matching mustang throttle body and a ho upper intake. No issues at all. More power on the butt dyno. Also added headers.

Car is no where near stock now.
    O.K. then. I've seen a lot mentioned about enlarging the egr to the larger 63mm. Could you not use the egr from the HO donor, or are there dimensional differences that would make that un-doable? I'm starting to get excited about this.
    Can't wait to try it and see what happens. In the interest of full disclosure, and maybe eliminate some confusion, here's the plan. And please feel free to offer suggestions/warnings if they come to mind.
    I used an '86 HO engine and efi to swap into my '77 Bronco. Easy enough, it's really apples to apples keeping everything close to stock as possible.
    This started the thought process about doing this same-ish thing on my '72 Bronco, but using the '68 engine that's already in it. The only efi/ecm that was designed for the old 15426378 firing order came in the crown vics/town cars/grandmarquis/etc. So why not? This will give me rock solid reliable sequential injection, that should make this engine run smoother, stronger, longer. The ford SD efi systems are practically bulletproof, and that's what I'm going for.
    Thanks for all the great information
    Greg

I had to the bore out the egr spacer because of the throttle cable mounts. Mustang egr spacers do not have the proper mounts on the egr spacer for mounting up the throttle cable bracket in panther chassis vehicles.

Lightning egr spacers have the proper mount for both foxes and panther cars. They are 65 from the get go.