Close

Thread: Air shocks

84cvt

Default Air shocks

My 84 convert looks good with the lowered look that the previous owner did. But when i have people in the back it bottoms out. Has anyone ever put air shocks on to control ride height????

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I've never used air shocks, but I'm in the process of installing air bags in the rearend of my mustang to help out with this problem. They're made by Air Lift, and you can buy them from Summit, Jeg's, or any other supplier. My brother has this system in his '85 GT, and it works well.

I wish that I could help you with the air shocks.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

FEP Senior Member

A Friend and I installed air shocks on his '88 Coupe to help offset the weight of his stereo system. They worked fine. the ride was a bit harsh, but not really much more harsh than a set of performance shocks.
    --John

One Owner '86 GT - Exhaust, Gears, Basics, otherwise stock.
    NOS - It's an abbrevation, not a word.

84cvt

Do you know what the shock name was??

fastcoupe

I have the Air Lift Draggin Bags in my springs and Competition Engineering 3 way adj. drag shocks and they work really well. I wouldnt recomend air shocks though ive just never had any luck with them.

No offense to anyone, but air shocks are kind of "ghetto". Go for the air bags, or a stiffer rear suspension. Also, air shocks tend to put 100% of the cars weight on the rear shock towers, and take the weight off the springs, the car wasn't designed for this, and will effect more things than it is worth. Air shocks work best on pickups, and that type of use
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by v8only
    No offense to anyone, but air shocks are kind of "ghetto". Go for the air bags, or a stiffer rear suspension.
    None taken, but this WAS 11 years ago. Air shocks was our only other option at the time. Air bags weren't readily available. We put stiffer lowering springs under it and it was still bottoming out over bumps. 350 lbs of stereo equipment and 2 batteries in the trunk will do that.

It was a nice system though. Actuators for the amp racks and trunklid, blacklights, and a fully re-upolstered trunkspace.
    --John

One Owner '86 GT - Exhaust, Gears, Basics, otherwise stock.
    NOS - It's an abbrevation, not a word.

Ha ha, I formed my opinion because of myself.

When I was 16, I had an 89 four banger notch. I didn't know SQUAT about cars, and NOTHING about mustangs!! I do mean NOTHING, man I was stupid.

Anyhow, back then all the hotrods always had some kind of rake to them, high in the back, low in the front, so.....

I bought some air shocks for the 89 four banger notch, installed them on the rear, pumped them up to near max, so that the rear was literally 4-5 inches above the front, retained the stock 195/75/14's, and drove around like that, for a long while.

Man I hate myself. I must have looked so stupid!
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

84cvt

Do you need to remove the springs to install air bags or is it much simpler??

Matt K

Yes you'd have to remove the springs to put in airbags. I have run air shocks for tire clearance before & it KILLS the handling-literally, almost killed me one night racing a Porche! The best way I think is to get either adjustable coil over rear shocks (a bit expensive, but you get to say how high the car sits) OR replace the lower control arms with some of the adjustable ones (I think Maximum Motorsport sells them) that the spring perch can be raised or lowered-even while on the car! It's cheaper than converting to coilovers & will also help out the handling. Good luck!