Close

Hybrid View

Default What to use to bypass a heater core on fuel injected Mustang

I have a 1990 Mustang 5.0 LX convertible with 16,000 original miles, and radiator started leaking, had redone. Due to age deciding to bypass heater core, before it leaks, while apart, everything about bypassing it looks the same as if I do it on my 86 Gt. I understand you probably can probably only bypass it at the back of the intake manifold and use something to make the inlet pipe go back though outlet pipe, but what have you used as the new heater hoses i have one is 5/8" and one is 3/4" inside diameter and the heater pipes behind intake are so close together. I don't want to do anything to permantlly alter car, but i don't want a heater core leak, and don't ever run car when heat is needed. Any help would be very appreciated, unfortunatly the heater core repacement and bypassing of them isn't nearly as easy as my 67 Mustangs are. Thanks Keith

FEP Power Member

I plan to put a plug in the heater hose on my wife’s car. I will be ordering some temperature compatible plastic stock. Using a plug inside the hose allows it to be hidden.

My wife’s car is a trailered show car so no rush to fix it. Looks like I have 3 heater cores on my to do list. I’m in no rush to do them. I have 2 replacement Ford heater cores on hand.
    Last edited by KevinK; 06-01-2020 at 03:10 PM.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

So you are just putting plug in inlet and outlet hoses going to heater core at firewall. If you can tell me what you get and where from when you get it from when you get it. I am assuming as long its a real tight fit, no coolant would get through. Thanks.

They make hose adapters / connectors that are two barbed ends. You can get them in multiple sizes and either for matching hose sizes or reducing/enlarging.

I had to find them when I put the SEFI 5.0 in my 1981 F150. My heater core used 5/8 in 5/8 out hose and the 5.0 was 1/2 / 3/4.

I believe they were from NAPA but could have been the local hydraulic hose company.

Kenny

I've always found larger Ace Hardware stores to be well stocked for fittings which you'll find in their plumbing section. The bigger ones have about 6 barn door style panels that are 4x8 with tons of variations. Their staff is really helpful. Any exposed part can always be painted block or covered with a piece of black corrugated electrical wiring wrap. Worst case check out. Summit
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT
    Popular Hot Rodding Project Car '83/84

1983 Capri 331 ci, TKO600

Great info
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I believe this is what you want and need to by-pass the heater hoses on the engine. This should be 5/8" on one end and 3/4" on the other. You will need to trim to fit, but this should look the heater lines. Double check my information, but that is what I show. I might be wrong, but hopefully not!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dac-87629

You may be able to get your local auto parts store to order or cross the Dayco number. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thank you very much for the info. Am I correct about bypassing it at the end of the heater pipes at the back of the intake manifold where the inlet and outlet hoses going to heater core would hook up? I cross referenced number and apparently Gates # 18473 is the same, I ordered through local auto parts store which only has locations in the county I live in. Hopefully it will work out. Thanks.

I did this to my 86 today due to my heater core springing a leak a couple days ago. I removed the heater tube entirely, plugged the lower outlet on the water pump and used a 1/2" to 3/8" NPT reducer to install the ECT directly into the intake. Looks clean and frees up some space.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

I have had 2 of the plastic connectors fail. Advance has this one in stock(At least they did at my store):
    https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...archTerm=80424

I used a 90 degree elbow to bypass mine.

All I can say is I put the restrictor in too late — again

CJ Pony parts has owed me a flow restrictor for months now
    i hope it gets here soon lol
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    CJ Pony parts has owed me a flow restrictor for months now
    i hope it gets here soon lol
    Use a properly sized socket.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Thank you WraithRacing as I used the Gates #18743 which is the same as the Dayco and it worked great, just cut to length needed. Thanks again for all the help.

Napa has the correct U shaped hose with the correct hose diameters at each end.The part # is 10743.
    Attached Images Attached Images