Close

Default cruise control problem

Greetings, all:

I decided to try to hook up the dealer added cruise I removed a few years back when I had to replace the speedometer. The system consists of a speed sensor, some electronics and buttons, and a second speedometer cable. The second cable connects the speedometer to the speed sensor. For odd reasons, the end of the second cable ends in just the cable- no plastic clip. I don't think it reaches into the speed sensor far enough. Why? Because the speedometer doesn't work now. Here are some pics.
    Name:  cruise prob 004.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  108.8 KB
    The end of the outer cable ends in a screw nut type of fastener. Not sure the technical name. I ran it down as tight as possible but the cable isn't going into the receptacle far enough. I know its hard to see. Name:  cruise prob 003.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  97.9 KB
    This is the other end. The main speedometer cable just slides over it. I did manage to break the clip but these two ends join up nicely. I also tested the speed sensor and it does move alright. And yes the cable is properly connected to the trans and works. Used the drill trick on that one. Name:  cruise prob 009.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  224.8 KB
    This is the screw end of the short cable. Hard to see inside but that's my point. Shouldn't the cable end have the plastic pointy end on it? It would connect inside the sensor better I think.
    Any ideas are welcome.
    I have a spare cluster with working speedometer in it. If I could secure it to the outside of the car and use the regular cable... well maybe not.
    Thanks all.

FEP Member

There used to be metal crimp-on gizmos that you would put onto speedo cables. They had a square metal end and a hollow end. Haven't looked for one in years.

In an incredible stroke of luck, I managed to find a NOS speed sensor and the short speedometer cable online for not much $$$. Should be here by the weekend if my luck holds out. If all goes well I'll post more pix and take the car for a real 'cruise'. Ughh. Couldn't resist.

FEP Member

Good news. It's always nice to stumble across something you need when you need it!

Turns out the speed sensor was missing an internal sleeve that grips the cables. Managed to find another- it even came in the Ford box. Put it all back together yesterday and after five years or better I now have functioning dealer added cruise control. Sweet.
    Now if I could just fix the AC compressor summer would be much more enjoyable.

Excellent! I love to hear about these old cars getting some of their features back.