Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default What has our world come to? Sorry - bit of a rant :)

Last night 'protesters' destroyed several businesses in Eugene and totally blocked traffic as well as menaced innocent people driving by (or trying to).

This is not a political post! I have no issue with folks protesting a wrong in a peaceful manner. My issue is the group of thugs, felons, opportunistic criminals that use the protest as an excuse to steal, loot, destroy other people's property and often times injure them. This post is NOT about whether the current protest topic is legitimate.

When I watched video clips I was looking at the folks destroying stuff. Oddly enough I recognized quite a few due to their felonious past. I have had conversations with many of them in which they brag about stealing thousands of dollars worth of items from people, but then turn around and assault a dorm mate because that person stole their piece of cake off the table. The hypocritical idiocy drives me nuts. The willingness of this segment of our society to whimsically create victims for their own gain because they are too lazy to do it in an acceptable manner is ridiculous.

Maybe I am an idealist. Maybe that is why I understand when I hear folks say they want a home away from others with tall walls. I am not like that. I just want to be left alone and enjoy the freedoms I am supposed to have. I shouldn't have to check a news/protest schedule if I want to go to town for a meal or to shop.

Hopefully it will be better when I head to work 3 blocks from all this Monday morning. I just want to work, earn a living, and support my family.

OK. Done for now. If the Mods pull it I understand and don't worry - I won't complain.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I don't approve of the actions of some of the protesters, but after 400 years of racism, you got expect rage and revenge to be a part of the reaction to another cop killing yet another unarmed black man. Combine that with the political atmosphere, and the quarantine stress, and here we are...

Is it even "slightly" possible that the cop was just a regular sociopath and not a racist one?

Media and politicians perpetuate racism. Here's how it goes. Cop kills suspect. Media/politicians look up the details and check to see whether it was a white cop and black suspect. If it doesn't fit the bill, it's tossed aside. If it does fit the bill, it becomes headline news.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Appreciate the comments, folks, but I am trying to stay non-political in line with the forum.

My comment is on the wanton destruction of innocent and uninvolved parties and the motivation of those folks.

So, not talking about the current incident, but about the actions of the unruly mobs. And their use of a very wrong event to justify creating their own new victims. I have been in a couple of these riots (not as a rioter) and the mood is indescribable. Unfocused rage is bad and worse when focused on the wrong target.

Too many people use an event like this to justify totally wrong behavior as a response.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

And I agree with you,Broncojunkie (BTW- I have a '90 bricknose. Are you on the FSB site?).

Rustyboquet- I would argue 6000 years of varied racism, so yes, I see your point too.

One can review any incident and choose which facts to take from it, or make assumptions based on 'observation' that may or may not be accurate. So much depends on the source, the bias of that source, the bias of the person taking 'facts' from that report, etc...
    Last edited by richpet; 05-30-2020 at 12:27 PM.

What I have seen in the news makes the act perpetrated 100% wrong. But NOBODY at this point (except the perpetrator) knows the WHY behind it, and even then we have to believe the source (that person may or may not admit the real why). We do not have a way to read actual brains and intentions.

But NOTHING justifies the actions of the mobs in numerous cities around our nation.

I agree with all the comments, but they say that people are coming from other states to burn and attack and a certain person (trying not to make this political) but he said "there are great people on both sides".....REALLY?
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Agree Navycat! I appreciate trying to stay on focus and respect the forum.

When I see wanton destruction and new innocent victims, how can ANYONE call those folks 'great people'? Does not compute.

Funny thing - we had a peaceful protest at my work recently demanding the release of all our 'guests' because WE were risking THEIR health due to COVID. (BTW- Zero cases present). Somehow I doubt any victims were part of that protest. Imagine that.

BUT, it was a great protest and an appropriate one. They were peaceful. They didn't trample the rights of others to express themselves, they did not create any new innocent victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    Is it even "slightly" possible that the cop was just a regular sociopath and not a racist one?

Media and politicians perpetuate racism. Here's how it goes. Cop kills suspect. Media/politicians look up the details and check to see whether it was a white cop and black suspect. If it doesn't fit the bill, it's tossed aside. If it does fit the bill, it becomes headline news.
    It's as possible as any other reason. However, the past does cast a shadow on the present. And with the statistics of black men killed by police, compared to population ratios, I don't blame anyone for thinking it is a race issue, whether or not it actually was in this case. In Portland, the police were choking out so many black folks, in the 70's, that the city made some sort of law about that. When they did, 2 police officer had T-shirts made that said "If you cant choke them, smoke them!". After being confronted for making those shirts, they were barely even disciplined, let alone removed from their positions. I've personally seen instances of police racism here. I'm glad that people have been videoing these types of things lately, and getting these issues the attention they deserve.

But again, there are a lot of assumptions being made. Things have changed since the '70's, though work still needs done obviously. Had those shirts been done now and not then I would argue there may well have been a different response/result. But again, this makes the issue assumption based and not fact based.

My focus is not on racism or perceived racism - it is about criminals (the looters, burners, window smashers, etc) acting out improperly using racism or any other issue as an excuse to loot, victimize, or trample the rights of innocent folks. If someone else acted improperly how is it right to victimize me (or anyone else) for another's actions?

Sounds like another Ferguson, Missouri.

Humans.....

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

How many of these looters do you think really care about the victim? They're just taking advantage of the situation to score some free stuff. That's just lack of basic humanity. We have entire neighborhoods in this country where nearly all of its residents will never have personal responsibility. The thought of getting a job and paying taxes and earning their way in life will never cross their minds. From birth, through their entire adult lives and passed on to their many kids, the thought of getting a job will never be part of their way of thinking. They live off of the system. Welfare, EBT cards, theft and hustling/drugs to make ends meet. They'll drive around all day in their hoopty cars looking for victims to steal from. When they have kids, they'll pass on this way of life to them and the cycle will continue.

So the real question is, how do we break the cycle? Prisons don't work. Maybe prison should be a little tougher. Chain gangs and whatnot. Would that deter their way of life?
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    And I agree with you,Broncojunkie (BTW- I have a '90 bricknose. Are you on the FSB site?).

Rustyboquet- I would argue 6000 years of varied racism, so yes, I see your point too.

One can review any incident and choose which facts to take from it, or make assumptions based on 'observation' that may or may not be accurate. So much depends on the source, the bias of that source, the bias of the person taking 'facts' from that report, etc...
    I no longer have broncos, but I've owned quite a few. Gave my 91 to a buddy last year. I have been on FSB forum, but not for a while. I was also on the F150 forum quite a bit!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

FEP Power Member

We had 2 separate protests yesterday within 25 miles of my house. Both shut dow the major freeways. I’m certainly sympathetic to the Reported original problem where this started but it quickly looses my support when the long distance protesters threaten traffic, safety and personal property of those not involved. I’m very surprised by how much restraint local law enforcement used. This just shows both sides have not evolved to the level of today’s expectations.

About 5 pm yesterday, I heard a lot of car horns and saw slow traffic at the end of my street. I live 1.5 blocks from the freeway. I told my wife to stay home.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Lets keep our cars far away from this stuff.

Detroit's Fox2 news ran well past 11:30 pm with a live cam and reporter downtown.
    No commercials the whole time. They were walking the streets at the hot spot of the night.
    Excellent coverage from the crowd side and police side.
    The other local channels aired serious news or regular programming then stupid content commercials.

Finally they said the camera batteries were getting low about 1am and that was that.
    The buzz, drama, and personal energy was wearing off and people were leaving the scene.
    Have not seen the streets of downtown Detroit that crowded for a long time.

Every now and then bang of teargas, individual arrests. No fires. No big clashes.
    The reporter apologized for the oh s--- blurt after a couple loud bangs that sounded like guns.

Was said police were handing out masks at one point. Then it got dark.
    Cars were stuck in place for a long time because the streets were blocked.
    During part of the live feed, a car suddenly came flying by.
    This driver just wanted to get the h out of there once able to turn the now clear corner.
    The news reported this as an attempt to run someone down. Na.

So watched protesting last night and more of that nationally and the space launch today.
    Am curious but certainly not enough to go into harm's way.
    Big memorable events good and bad. What a contrast.
    Prefer watching the 'live' NASA coverage. The utube live NASA feed was 10 minutes behind the actual launch.
    Have 3 monitors on my pc. Left monitor- tv protest coverage, middle monitor- typing this, right monitor- NASA live.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouqet View Post
    I don't approve of the actions of some of the protesters, but after 400 years of racism, you got expect rage and revenge to be a part of the reaction to another cop killing yet another unarmed black man. Combine that with the political atmosphere, and the quarantine stress, and here we are...
    Those cops killed that poor guy and I feel just as bad for his family and am just as horrified no matter what race he was. They should all go to jail imho.
    If 4 black cops killed a white dude, or 4 asian cops killed an Indian dude, etc. it would be just as tragic to me.

I believe in the human race. We are all human beings

Rioting and Looting solves nothing though, and that is a completely different thing imho
    Last edited by massacre; 05-30-2020 at 05:40 PM.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I'm from the Twin Cities area. I've lived here all my life. I can't believe what's happening in my city. I avoid the news like the plague because it's all just people being total sh** to each other. Being told just for good ratings. That's what the people want to see. I don't need that in my life. But I've been following this a bit more for obvious reasons. My wife works at Target and is sent all over town. 1 of the stores she was supposed to work at this weekend has been destroyed and another is closed just in case.

I haven't seen anything for myself, but I'm hearing all kinds of crap. A car cruise the next suburb over was canceled because they'd heard a riot was being planned there. REALLY? There are people who PLAN riots?! You can plan a protest, sure, but not a riot. F***. I guess they destroyed the local post office, and I don't know what else.

The St. Paul mayor said "everyone who was arrested" last night was from out of town. Conspiracy theories. Someone is bringing in thugs to discredit the protesters' cause. Man, if that's true, I hope they're caught and they BURN.

I know you can't blame the entertainment industry completely for something like this, but it can't help that this kind of thing is glorified on cop shows, and reality TV is nothing but people being complete attention whores stepping on whomever they have to to get famous.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

No, they do not care about anything except themselves and how to try and use any situation for self gain.

As for prisons not working, well, you're right. It is the best system we have at the moment. Problem is, it can only work if the one incarcerated wants it to work, wants to do something different.

The issue isn't the system really - it is the fact that society as a whole has been on average going down. Think of it this way: We learned to drive from our parents, we learned many other skills from different folks. Unless we work to improve on those, there is always a net loss because we can not learn everything they have to teach. I learned lot more about driving later in life for example. Family values have plummeted. You have a drug addled parent raising a child. That child only teaches some of what they learn value wise (someone previously posted similar) from that addled parent. Or they learn how to try and take the easy, selfish road and model the criminal behavior. So we started out ok, but you have marginal instruction being passed on, and only portions of that get passed on further. It's a net loss. That is the root. Unless that changes I do not see genuine improvement.

I have spent most of my entire adult life in law enforcement. And yes, I condemn the original act that started all this of course! I hate to see innocent bystanders pay the price for criminal thinking. I hate to see power and position abused. It is morally wrong. Race should never be part of the equation. Human life is human life.
    I have also listened to the majority of felons I know (and there have been many in my close to 30 years and counting career) not really want to change. Yes some want to, and that is where I have had to hang my hope. If no hope all we have is despair. But to listen to the majority (not talking one time mistakes, etc) simply talk about their next hustle, about how they plan to get something for nothing, well this idiotic rioting should come as no surprise. Can our system work? Only if those in it want it to. It does not help that in many ways they have more rights than those on the outside.
    Last edited by richpet; 05-30-2020 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    My wife works at Target and is sent all over town. 1 of the stores she was supposed to work at this weekend has been destroyed and another is closed just in case.
    That's what I mean - your wife is an innocent whose rights are being trampled just for being at a certain location at a certain time. How does destroying a store advance the fight against brutality? It doesn't. How does putting genuine fear/concern in both of your lives advance the fight against brutality? It doesn't and in fact it works against it as the rioters are essentially doing the same thing to a lesser degree.

It is the selfish self propagating. Angry people are not being taught how to act properly (diminishing returns) so they create more victims out of their self interest.

I think it eventually devolves into “mob rules”
    Which is sad and disappointing
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

richpet , my workmate is from Portland. We talk about this stuff.

I wanna say thanks for walking the line and keeping us on the non R, non P and non M (malcontents) margins of what is always a difficult discussion.

Peace and vegetable rights people. Stay together. We can all get along.

Straight out of jail, this is for the 5 in every 4 and those who wont amount to much because society decrees. I hope there is something positive in here for everyone.

As one person said, Frank Zappa had more intelligence in his toe nails than most talking heads today. This song still applies , as with most masterpieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZBhHtJkZE0

I am a huge fan of FZ

haha which I just realized could stand for Fairmont/Zephyr lmao

Lol!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

So, the unruly mob has succeeded in having the mayor declare emergency so a 12-odd block section of downtown Eugene is on curfew. No voluntary traffic after 9pm tonight (they of course have a lot of exceptions - sheltering in place, emergency, to/from employment, etc). I bet it gives them an 'excuse' to again protest their rights. Oh wait - they trampled on many other's rights last night. Hopefully tonight is peaceful and non-eventful!

Sigh.

I just want people to get along, live and let live. Thank goodness I don't live in 'real' town!

Default So far Detroit, the D is not like the others this time.

Peaceful 'afternoon shift' protests out here 4pm to 11:30p.
    A few anxious minutes late but its over for the night in Detroit.
    Two female Fox2 live cam team reporters covered tonight. No news hype.
    Again JD had another 'oh s---' moment. Some kind of gas cleared her and the cops quickly.

One of the downtown Detroit freeways was blocked early to allow the protesters to march on the roadway.
    Marched few miles to the riverfront plaza. Then headed toward police hq. as it got dark out.
    Different area than last night. Chief said "sensed heightened tension" and went to higher level of alert.

No National Guard presence. Detroit city cops were cool and patient. r-e-s-p-e-c-t.
    Until bricks and fireworks were aimed at them. The behavior line was clearly known and got crossed by a few.
    Less people but more violent. Brought small bricks in coolers. Possible M-80's too. No reported injuries.
    Estimated crowd of 250 then got gassed good for 1/2 hour. Windy night. No curfew. The end.
    No fires. A dozen or so arrests or detentions. No vintage P71's or SUV lost. Couple portajohns got tipped over.
    No looting. Not much retail downtown anymore anyway. 1967 riots took care of that.
    Last edited by gr79; 05-30-2020 at 11:54 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast