Close

New User

Default LED bulbs for cluster swap

I've got my dash apart, and a few of my bulbs are out in my cluster. What are a good choice for replacement, and where can I get them? I'm looking to do all the bulbs in the cluster of my 83 capri rs. I've heard that 194's are the size? I don't want anything blue as I had a pioneer headunit with blue lighting in a previous car, and I always thought the cops were behind me due to the reflection on the back glass.

Someone had a recent thread on here with pics and info, try and find that. It was a great help.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Yes 194 is the size. I bought these on Amazon ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried the usual kits from the usual suspects, but these were much better.

The kit bulbs were polar, meaning you had a 50/50 chance of putting them in the right way. Not only that, but the AMP light and the brake light simply wouldn't work reliably, meaning my alternator wouldn't charge and my brake lights wouldn't work.

These will work both ways, they don't electrolyze and corrode with the bronze in the sockets, and are a third the cost of the kit. Rock auto has the sockets really cheap if you want to replace them at the same time (cheap enough that I recommend it).

New User

What color did you get? Being that it's a 10 pack I assume you just used existing bulbs for blinkers? My capri is green, but has red hvac lighting because it had dealer AC. I'd like to switch to red or amber as my sony headunit can match pretty much anything. I heard about the polarity issue, and it sounded like hooking up speakers without labels. I'd rather not deal with that trial and error. Especially if I need to pay MORE to do so. Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to give these a shot over the $48 + ship I was going to spend on diode dynamics.

I got the red ones. And that was enough for the four warning lights, and the five dash backlights, and some left over.

I did wind up using the lights from the previous kit for the turn signals and high beams, since they are already colored and used very infrequently (and not critical). Though I wish I had just bought some white bulbs of this kind to use in those slots. Also, if you keep checking on Amazon you'll see two-packs that are very cheap as well, and come in blue and green to finish out the colors if you want.

New User

I ordered the red as well, and plan to re use the blinkers/high beam. Should be here tomorrow. I've got it all apart anyway so for 14 bucks I have nothing to lose but time. I'll spray the sockets with electrical cleaner, and hope for the best. Amazon is shipping the LED's so fast that I would be waiting a while for the sockets.

Good idea. I also do a 20 minute soak in vinegar to remove the corrosion, and let them air dry.