Close

Default Changing TBI to carb

I have an 85 with TBI and am thinking of changing it to a carb. What if anything would I have to change to do this?

See my build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...e-build-thread

... beginning with page 3, post # 63 - getting a DuraSpark II distributor for what you're doing...

Back then, it's all about the 3.8L V6 that was in it (VERY happily now sporting a 306 with carburetor), but it makes no difference, the things that you'll need to get rid of that BS...

Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Mine is 5.0 that I should have mentioned in the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Dentman View Post
    I have an 85 with TBI and am thinking of changing it to a carb. What if anything would I have to change to do this?
    I've always wondered for those of you with this setup, if it would be easier to buy a FiTech unit as a direct replacement, and with their interface maybe you could have something more tuneable and reliable over stock...and you don't have to buy fuel pumps like you would if you were going Carb to Fitech/Holley Sniper EFI.

Yeah, if you go sniper or fitech you may not have to mess with your ignition. Which is pretty good stuff. I know sniper has direct interface with TFI. You go with a carb and you will have to get a distributor+ignition and the carb which puts you close to the cost of the new fitech or sniper. I am assuming you would replace the intake manifold for either job since it is a really bad iron two barrel manifold that is on there right now.

If you are just going to pop a two barrel carb on it... ewww. ALthough they make nice fuel injected twobarrels too.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Oh and I forgot. The other bigger problem (not expensive) is the transmission. You will have to replace the rod with a cable or you will destroy your AOD.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Thanks guys, the Fitech stuff looks interesting but with the Canadian dollar so low it's far too expensive.