Close

Default Coil selection/ understanding coils

Hey guys, I could use some help with ignition coils.

I have an accel coil that fits the stock duraspark horseshoe and its ran fine, but alas after sitting off the motor it is leaking so I figured I should replace it. Problem is that this particular one is no longer made, so I need to select a new one. I do not know whether I should stick with connectors made for the duraspark horseshoe, or whether I would need to add a ballast resistor.

I found one from Taylor https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-718205 , looks good but the description is contradictory about whether it needs the ballast resistor. One customer said it is not needed, as fords have a "resistor wire" I went without a ballast resistor with my old one and I never noted an issue.

How hard is it to use a TFI coil? I was looking at an MSD coil https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8227 It looks like a pigtail is available that could work https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pco-5712pt

My third option is to wire in a universal cannister like the MSD blaster 3. I am considering the accel 140001 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-140001. Would have to get a much longer coil to distributor wire as it looks like it would be best mounted to the shocktowers or inner fenders. Comes with a ballast resistor but the instructions say that anther resistor must be used if it installed into a system which does not use an in line resistor.
    Tony

FEP Senior Member

if the motor is stock , a stock coil will work fine. the farther away from stock the more the coil/ ignition needs to be changed. i like a metal coil for the transfer of heat.

all the stock cars i have owned have a ballast resistor bypass for starting and then goes to the ballast for running.

if you have trouble sleeping at night. pick up an old book of The Doctors step by step guide to optimizing your ignition by christopher a jacobs. after reading this book. i decided to run a stock ignition for a stock motor. has worked for me for 35 years 335 thousand miles.

I have a duralast horseshoe on my TFI and it creates a scary strong spark. Not sure what else you need... but I am sure there is a reason why people spend tons of money on ignition.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

The stock Duraspark system is actually a good system and unless you are going to the crazy pony side, I'd stick with it...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride