Close

Default Sppedometer cable gear.

I have a 1978 Fairmont with 8.8, 4:10 gears, c4 trans, and 25 inch tall tire. Does anyone know what speedometer gear count I would need to get the speedometer close and will a speedometer gear made for a t-5 work in a c4. I am talking about the gear on the end of the speedometer cable, not inside the trans. Thanks in advance.

if you're on Instagram, I could point you towards a Fairmont guy who'd probably love to help!

I took Mikes advice and contacted LMR. They told me that the c4 transmission took the AOD speedometer gear. They told me that a c4 transmission has a 7 or 8 groove gear inside the transmission. I don't really know which one I have. So what I think I am going to do is get a phone app to see how fast I am going then check the speedometer and see what it reads. Then I am going to pull the speedometer cable gear out and count the number of teeth on it. From there I think I can mathematically figure out which speedometer gear I would need and hopefully find one that is a match or close. Thanks for your help,