Close

New User

Default blinkers and blower motor dead out of nowhere

The blinkers and blower motor stopped working on my 83 Capri RS all of a sudden. They were working in January when I put it up for the winter, and now they've stopped working. The hazards work so it isn't the bulbs. I checked the fuses and noticed they were on the same 20 amp fuse so I replaced that even though it looked fine. Nothing. My next guess was the ignition switch as mine was original with those stupid tamper proof rivet like things. I managed to get those off with some vice grips, and my local NAPA luckily had a switch in stock. My interior and exterior lights are brighter, and no longer dim in unison with my cam lope. Throttle response is also greatly improved. Still no blinkers or blower fan though. What should I chase next? I have a dmm, but don't really know much about using it. My whole interior aside from the dash is apart right now as I'm installing new sound deadening mat this week so getting at things should be easy. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I still need new tires to get her back on the road so I can't afford to just throw money at it.

New User

I've read that there is a relay up in the dash by the glove box, but this has all been in reference to aero cars. Being that the dashes are different is this still accurate? Trying to shoot for the cheapest parts first. Could it be the multi function switch on the column?

Personally I would address each item separately. Not saying that they can't be a single issue, but right now I can't think of how they would be. It's been awhile, but I think there are two flashers, one for hazard and one for turn signals. Make sure both are good. If that checks out, then next would be do the turn signals light up, but don't flash or no light at all? Check the simple stuff such as the grounds on the core support just above the headlights on both sides. Remove the 7mm bolt, clean to bare metal on both the connector and the core support and reattach. If still nothing, then the Multi-function switch would be my next guess.

As for the blower motor, is there power to the actual blower motor itself? Is the ground good. Power comes from the HVAC panel and the blower switch, so is there power at the switch? Could the switch be bad?

I always go through the simple stuff first, I can't tell you how many times it has been a simple ground wire, fuse, or even just a corroded connector that was the issue. I always check for power and back trace from there. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

^^^ good advice right here
    There are indeed 2 flashers, 1 for blinkers 1 for hazards.
    My blower motor did not work either, ended up being a bad switch, and the resistor was also corroded. This was found out using a volt meter and power probe.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

New User

Thanks wraith, your order was correct! I found the hazard flasher when I pulled the carpet out hanging out of the passenger side of the dash. Strangely with a blue rubber cover on it. It's the same part "wagner 552" as the one for the blinkers that is in the fuse box. Both cylindrical 2 prong. I swapped them, and my blinkers work now, but hazards don't obviously. Going to just replace both as they are old, and only $4.49 a piece at NAPA. Now on to the blower motor!

New User

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    ^^^ good advice right here
    There are indeed 2 flashers, 1 for blinkers 1 for hazards.
    My blower motor did not work either, ended up being a bad switch, and the resistor was also corroded. This was found out using a volt meter and power probe.
    My hazard resistor was corroded, but strangely the one of the 2 that worked. I unhooked the - terminal on the battery and sprayed the connector with electrical cleaner. My HVAC controls have been messes with at some point as they have red backlighting while the rest of my dash is green. It had dealer AC installed so it could have been then, but still. Going to check that out.

New User

just testing how/if I can post pics, but this being my interior apart it seems relevant
    Attached Images Attached Images