Close

Default replacing standard front brakes

I'm replacing my standard 85 front disc brakes with a new set of stock front rotors, seals and bearings, hoses and calipers and pads. I had ordered a replacement set of everything from lmr. After removing the old parts, I went to install the new bearings and seals in the new standard replacement rotors. I began to have trouble when installing the inside bearings and seals, they would not install all the way into the back of the rotor.... compared to the original ones , the new bearings and seals stuck above the inside edge of the hub compared to the originals....as I compared the two side by side it looked to me like the new rotors had a built in bearing race that wasn't set into the hub as deeply as the original equipment. I've looked at some of the you tube videos that didn't help as much as I hoped. It been several years ago since I've done a front wheel bearing change. Does the built in wheel bearing race need to come out and replace or ?....any help will be greatly appreciated !

FEP Senior Member

if you had 85 gt stock brakes, they had a different size bearing than the other mustangs. when my rotors finely got to thin i replaced them with the 4 cyl rotors. same same rotor diameter as the GT but a slightly smaller bearing. done with history. i bought a new set of bearings, removed the bearing race from the new rotors and put the bearing race from the set i bought. i remember they were tight but did go in.

FEP Power Member

New rotors often come with bearing races installed. The problem is trying to find just the bearing without the race these days.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Original 85-86 rotors are long since discontinued. Not sure if the seals are right as I gave up on mine in the 90’s. In my experience the 87-93 4cyl rotors work far better anyway when you start introducing hard braking. The don’t seem to retain heat as much

Thanks for the information.........so my decision now is whats the best cost effective route to go? It seems that the new rotors I purchased from lmr are the newer 4cyl 4lug with the raised built in inner race but will not work with the new inner bearing and seals because of the race in the hub that is higher than the existing factory hub that I was going to replace. I'm not sure what bearings and seals I need to fit the new lmr rotors......also I have a set of 87-93 spindles that I could install and upgrade to 87-93 rotors and calipers........I'm leaning towards trying to use these lmr rotors just not sure what bearings and seals to use...again any help/experience will be much appreciated

If the 87-93 spindles are from a V8 you can run the 11" brakes. Keep in mind the mounting points for the strut is thinner (3/4") than the 4-cyl spindles so you'll need 87-93 struts or spacers for the mount bolts.

Going cheap? Use the spindles and order stock parts for an '89 5.0 (rotors, calipers, bearings, ...) and space the struts for now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Maybe you can return the current parts to LMR?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"