Close

Default Carb intake opinions

Hi folks. I bought an 85 GT 5sp a few months ago with 62k miles, mostly stock,original except for a few goodies under the hood. I did get all the original stuff with it. It has trickflow 170 heads, stage 1 cam, Edelbrock performer 302 intake, demon 625 carb, and full dual exhaust.
    Now my question is, is the Edelbrock performer 302 intake ok with this setup, or am I leaving some on the table with it? I had it off to replace the intake gaskets, and the intake looks barely any better than stock. I know I could open the ports to match the Trick Flow heads, and I will if this intake is fine, but I'm wondering if a Edelbrock RPM or Weiland Stealth intake would be better? I don't want to buy one if it won't make a difference, so does anyone have any experience with this setup and the best intake to go with?
    Also, I've been thinking about trying a Holley Sniper EFI. Anyone have experience with one of these on our 85 and older 5.0s?

Thanks a lot!

FEP Supporter

Not speaking from direct experience but I'd think the Performer would be a huge restriction. Either of the intakes you mentioned would free up plenty. I'd guess 30+ ponies if the Performer is out of the box stock and you're speaking of the Trick Flow Stage 1 cam.

Those heads could benefit from more cam too.

Welcome to the site! Any pics of the Mustang in question?
    '85 GT

Thanks! By looking at the Performer 302 intake, it looks marginally better than the stock intake. But I don't have any experience with the carb intakes. I've had several foxbody Mustangs through the years, but they were all 87+ EFIs.Name:  20200523_125426.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  298.7 KB

FEP Supporter

Really nice looking car!

As it sits I'm sure those 15" tires stand no chance of hooking up! Probably makes a ton of low end tq right now.
    '85 GT

Thanks! It's not too bad right now. Still has the stock 3:08s... when I pick up a 8.8" I'll put 3:55 or 3:73s in it.

FEP Supporter

That alone will wake it up a bunch! Good call!
    '85 GT

Hood clearance could be your biggest issue with another intake. I ended up using the Weiand Street Warrior on my '85 convertible because I wanted to keep my hood pad insulation and didn't want it rubbing the 4V decal off the top of my air cleaner. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wnd-8124wnd. I also can only use a 1/2in carb spacer because of the clearance problem. And, my convertible motor mounts are supposed to let the engine sit lower than non-convertible mounts.

This is how I measured my air cleaner to hood pad clearance: Cut (2) .75in x 3in strips of cardboard from a cereal box. Bend each into a "V". Cut a vertical slit in each piece about 90% all the way through. Assemble the pieces like this: Lay one "V" on it's edge with the open part of the vertical slit facing up. Take the other"V" with the vertical slat facing down and push it down onto the "V" laying on the table. Each of the vertical slits slides onto the other piece of cardboard. Take the stacked "V"'s and place them on top of the air cleaner and close the hood. The top cardboard "V" piece will slide down on top of the other and you'll be able to measure the final height. Try it at different positions.
    '85 Mustang convertible GT, 5 speed, 4V
    Stock bottom end, Comp Cams XE264HR-14, GT-40P heads w/ Alex's springs, Weiand 8124 Street Warrior,
    Summit Racing 600CFM carb, 8.8 Turbo Coupe rear end w/ 3.55 gears, '94/'95 Cobra brakes, '85 Town Car M/C, '93 Cobra booster, MM Panhard Bar, MM Strut Tower Brace, MM 4 point K-member Brace

'68 Mercury Cougar, w/ '88 5.0L, 4V
    My photo website:
    http://www.twilightphoto.com/

I run the Ford Racing high rise dual plane intake manifold on my 85 GT vert and have no hood (with insulation) to air cleaner issues, and I think there's a 1" spacer in the mix. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...f302/make/ford It has the stock factory mount location for the coil...which I like. I have a similar setup...though your heads probably flow a bit more...and have been really happy with it. I will be fattening up the secondaries shortly and can finally see where the tell tale will fall...it pulls hard to just above 6,000 rpm when I get out of it... Very nice looking buggy you have there!
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by 854vragtop View Post
    Hood clearance could be your biggest issue with another intake. I ended up using the Weiand Street Warrior on my '85 convertible because I wanted to keep my hood pad insulation and didn't want it rubbing the 4V decal off the top of my air cleaner. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wnd-8124wnd. I also can only use a 1/2in carb spacer because of the clearance problem. And, my convertible motor mounts are supposed to let the engine sit lower than non-convertible mounts.

This is how I measured my air cleaner to hood pad clearance: Cut (2) .75in x 3in strips of cardboard from a cereal box. Bend each into a "V". Cut a vertical slit in each piece about 90% all the way through. Assemble the pieces like this: Lay one "V" on it's edge with the open part of the vertical slit facing up. Take the other"V" with the vertical slat facing down and push it down onto the "V" laying on the table. Each of the vertical slits slides onto the other piece of cardboard. Take the stacked "V"'s and place them on top of the air cleaner and close the hood. The top cardboard "V" piece will slide down on top of the other and you'll be able to measure the final height. Try it at different positions.
    Thanks! That's a good idea on checking clearance. Definitely want to keep the stock hood.

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    I run the Ford Racing high rise dual plane intake manifold on my 85 GT vert and have no hood (with insulation) to air cleaner issues, and I think there's a 1" spacer in the mix. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...f302/make/ford It has the stock factory mount location for the coil...which I like. I have a similar setup...though your heads probably flow a bit more...and have been really happy with it. I will be fattening up the secondaries shortly and can finally see where the tell tale will fall...it pulls hard to just above 6,000 rpm when I get out of it... Very nice looking buggy you have there!
    Thanks! That give me hope on hood clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Skind View Post
    Thanks! That give me hope on hood clearance.
    Keep in mind 854vragtop and I both have convertibles, and the vert motor mounts sit the engine down a little lower in the engine bay.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

True, I'll have to see how much clearance I have first.

Check out that recent episode of engine masters where they try several ford small block manifolds. Very interesting.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

What is the reason for different motor mounts in Vert's from the factory?
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

FEP Member

Verts have lower center of gravity because of the lack of steel roof, so they mount th motor lower to prevent balance issues

New User

I'm running the same carb, but my heads are FMS SVO GT40's which obviously don't flow as well as yours. I have a Victor Jr. on mine with a more aggressive cam in the higher rev range. It's almost v-tech-ish. I can't say I'd recommend going with a single plane, but you are definitely leaving some horses on the table with that intake. A performer rpm or something similar would be better with your head/cam combo. It will be a huge difference when you get rid of those 3:08's as well. I switched over to an 8.8 with 4:10's, and have had 3:73's in a previous car. It makes a world of difference.

Do the 86 verts have lower motor mounts as well? My brother has one, and he's running trick flow heads with an explorer intake.

Thanks. I think I'll go for a rpm or a stealth. I think they are pretty similar to each other.

I like the Professional Products Typhoon. Bigger runners than an RPM and the rear coolant crossover to help keep the intake temp from running away. Tried the Performer RPM Airgap, and went back to the Typhoon. I don't like buying Chinese stuff either, but of the two I tried it's the better intake.

Cale

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Beautiful car

I'm using ported stealth no insulation I had performer rpm I don't think a rpm air gap would fit but that would be my next purchase but want to keep stock hood and trying to locate factory hood insulation not the reman flat insulation.

Stock gearset in trans with 410 is almost not enough gear my opinion I'm thinking 430 would be perfect
    With 245 50 16 at 50mph in fourth im at 2300rpm when im in fifth it's near 1400 rpm
    It idles at 900-950rpm

245-60-15 to knock the 430down some if needed

First mod should be gear my opinion

FEP Senior Member

You’re leaving power on the table. I have a 306/AFR165/stock cam/Edelbrock performer 302 combo in an 85. Hood clearance and emission equipment are a deal here, so that’s what drove the equipment. I made 280/320 to the tire on a Mustang dyno. I use vert mounts also.

If you like what you feel while driving, I’d just start with the gears and see how much you like that before swapping intakes.

The aftermarket efi is pretty cool as well. I’ve got a FiTech on a 67. It’s like an efi Fox drivability wise.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Put 3:73's in my '83. Highly recommended!