Close

Default 1986 Capri with 1988 2.3T Restart Issue after 6 Years

Hi guys, I hope yall can help point me in the right direction. As the title states, I have a 1986 Capri with a 1988 Thunderbird 2.3T Engine and as it was my daily driver, I had transmission problem and I let it sit for approx. 6 years. Well, I want to get it back on the road and this is what I have done. The transmission problem is not related to the new problem because it was a mechanical issue that I was able to fix.

*Replaced - fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel level sender, plugs, wires and distributor cap which all three are motorcraft, LA3 computer, ignition switch, ignition coil, distributor rotor. I also had the injectors cleaned and bench tested and all are good.

Before I started work on the car I had to tow, and in order to tow it I was able to start it and drive it on a trailer. When it would start I had to pedal the gas to keep the engine running because of all the bad gas.

I was also chasing a problem with the dash cluster illumination, so when I replaced the tank, pump, fuel level sender, wires, plugs and cap I started looking for the issue with the gauge lights. I was never able to find out what that issue was but now when I try to start the car it just turns over and there is no indication of combustion in the engine.

When I first tried to start I would not hear the fuel pump prime with the key turned on and was not getting gas to the engine. I looked over all the wiring and cannot find any issue with the wiring that was there before. I have grounds that are needed with this swap and voltage where and when needed. Because of this I thought it was the computer and that is why I now have a new computer, ignition coil, and then ignition switch.

I can hard wire the fuel pump to turn on with the key and get the appropriate fuel to the fuel rail, and the car has spark. I have looked at the base timing continuously and I think it is set up correctly. I lined up the cam and the crankshaft to their appropriate marks on the timing cover and the distributor will be pointing to the #1 cylinder. The firing order set up is 1, 3, 4, 2

Also - compression is about 150 at each cylinder.

I don't want to keep throwing new parts at it, if the parts that are there are still good. I guess it could be the PIP or the IRCM if everything at this point is correct. According to the wiring diagram if the IRCM (which houses the fuel pump relay) is not working correctly the injector harness wont either, is this correct?

Niod light test shows the injector harness is working correctly when I try and start the car.

Code reader only pulls code 84 - EGR Vacuum Regulator circuit failure

Wiring is checked and grounds/power all good.
    Power - 1, 37 (when key is on)
    Grounds - 16, 20, 49, 60

Pin 22 also gets voltage when key is on (fuel pump control) - so if I look at original issue with fuel pump not priming with key on - should I look closer at IRCM? If I hard wire pump to run when key is on then the fuel is at the rail, with spark and injectors pulsing but still no start

Tach also jumps as it should when I attempt to start.

IF the injectors pulse then the PIP works correct? What about the TFI? I am on information overload and I think it is probably something simple I am overlooking?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. This sounds classic like TFI but with so many things changing all at once its hard to say for sure. If that didn't work, it would take some patience, but I'd consider reversing everything you've done one step at a time until you got it to run again.

If you lived closer I'd bring a TFI off my 83 RS Turbo over just to try it! Good luck sir - send pictures!