Close

Default 86 Marquis wagon, next 12v issue...

Brake lights no worky! I can't find an online diagrams that seems right. I'm looking for a 86 Marquis wagon diagram that covers the brake light system, or a similar ford with tail/brake combo bulbs and a third brake light. If I can figure out how it was, I can figure out what the po did when he tied into the Mustang turn signal switch, and likely the issue. Thanks again!

Early 90s crown Vic had stop/turn combo. Even uses the same brake pedal switch as my 79. Brakes should be hot all the time, so I’m sure you’ll figure this one out.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Have an "Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual" (aka EVTM) for your car? Search eBay for 1986 Marquis EVTM.

Mustang turn signal switch? What year column? 1987 up had tri-color tail lights, which are really hard to wire into a two-color system.

Mike

Mustang uses separate turn signal and brake lights for many years.

My cougar birds have 3 lights per side and combine brake and turn signals per side.

There is a diode to prevent backfeeding when you hit the brakes.

More then once ive had no brake lights but functioning turn signal due to a bad switch
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I just ordered an original ford bench manual, with wiring diagrams. It won't be here till next month though. This one acts weird! I got power in and through the pedal switch, power up most of the line to the 3rd brake light, but not to the bulb. No power to the brake lights at all. Everything looks factory , except where he tied in to the Mustang turn switch.

You have turn signals, right? But no brake lights? The Mustang switch is not compatible with your Marquis tail lights.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    You have turn signals, right? But no brake lights? The Mustang switch is not compatible with your Marquis tail lights.

Mike
    Correct, turn signals work, no brake lights. Might have to adapt a second bulb in to the light housings?

There's no wiring for a second bulb.

Scrounging, from the '85 LTD/Marquis EVTM (should be exactly like the '86):

Attachment 132668

From the '91 Mustang EVTM ('87-93 should be the same):

Attachment 132669

Attachment 132670

What you need, I think, is to substitute a LTD/Marquis turn signal switch into the Mustang column, assuming that the Marquis wiring is still correct.

Mike

Thanks for the diagrams! I can run new bulb wiring, if needed. There's not much wire here that the po didn't butcher. Would the ltd/marquis switch be a direct fit to the mustang column?

After considering all my options, the options I know of anyways, I'm going add a separate brake light system and carve some extra socket holes in the tail light housings. I need to undo the voodoo that that the po did when he tried to tie the 2 systems together. I'm not thrilled with having to it this way, but it is what it is... I almost wanted to swap the dash and column back to factory, then I saw how ugly the stock dash is.

Fixed! I undid all the hacks the po had done, then isolated the brake light circuit, and added a separate 1156 to each housing... Done! On to headlights...Name:  2020-05-24 13.46.24.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  155.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouqet View Post
    Fixed! I undid all the hacks the po had done, then isolated the brake light circuit, and added a separate 1156 to each housing... Done! On to headlights...Name:  2020-05-24 13.46.24.jpg
    Can I see more pics of that?
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Cool way to solve your problem!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    I can get some later. What do you want see?

I can get some later. What do you want see?
    Kind of wanted to see other side of light so I could remember what it is you are lighting and also
    how deep it goes in......

I'll get a couple pics for you tomorrow.