Close

Default Acme RockAuto headliner

What garbage. Wrinkles and spots where it’s not adhered.

Send it back. I believe another member had an issue with Acme and they took care of it pretty quickly.

My buddy bought a coupe headliner for his SSP and it arrived just fine and went into without an issue. Definitely file a claim with Rock Auto. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Best solution IMO is to save your old backer board and have it recovered. The new flimsy plastic backers are T-Total garbage and hard as heck to install.

I went to joan's fabric's and got a length of black cloth and it had the foam on the back side. Think I payed 20.00 to do it
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

I believe that's the brand of stuff the Coyote always bought to try to catch the Roadrunner isn't it? It never worked right.

1999, used JoAnn Fabrics Black foam backed headliner and green label 3M Super 90 spray adhesive.
    2009 used same in Grey for the Ranger. Comes 54" wide, 100% Nylon Polyester. You decide how many yards.
    Both still up, no droops, original back boards. Neither are garaged. 100+ inside on hot summer days.

Material
    Glue
    Long wooden dowel rods, like the ones the shop teacher used to discipline students on the back of thighs. They sting.
    Or smooth clean scrap wood, or a slip sheet.

Scrape most of old materials from board.
    If precutting liner, leave extra material at edges. Slit for dome light, trim later.
    Roll up or fold back entire liner foam side out.
    Spray glue on board,
    Unfold or unroll small sections to glue it. Inches at a time to avoid air pockets.
    Carefully smooth out liner lightly as you go along with paint roller, balloon, beach ball. Little to no pressing.
    Starting at one edge is easier than centered.
    Use many wooden dowels between the glue and liner to help keep liner off the glue until in position.
    Similar procedure as doing laminate counter tops. The dowels wont stick to the glue.
    Once foam touches glue, no way to reposition without damage.
    Wrap extra material of rough trimmed edges around backer board cut outs and glue.
    Final trim when dry.
    Pushing down on the foam soaks it with glue and will leave flat spot indentations that don't come out.
    Messy job, strong glue smell. Wear brown jersey gloves. Avoid getting glue on fingers.
    Excess glue will stick to plastic gloves and can spread like wet paint drips on a drop cloth to the headliner.

Headliner is washable with Simple Green and wet rag. Pretty forgiving of accidental snags.
    Last edited by gr79; 07-07-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    I went to joan's fabric's and got a length of black cloth and it had the foam on the back side. Think I payed 20.00 to do it
    I did the exact same thing and it turned out great. As long as you use a heat tolerant glue it works great.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Quote Originally Posted by STL79Coupe View Post
    I did the exact same thing and it turned out great. As long as you use a heat tolerant glue it works great.
    I live in central Texas and even the heavy duty 3M headliner adhesive doesn't stay up after a few years of parking lot heat here.

What is the "go to" adhesive solution to make darn sure the headliner won't come down? I really don't want to do this again. Twice is enough.

I see references to "vinyl floor adhesive". Is that a sure-fire solution if I use a vinyl headliner material (since my car has a sunroof) ?

And if so, what "vinyl floor adhesive", specifically, is recommended? I see several options when I search Amazon, so some specific recommendations based on actual experience would be greatly appreciated.

-Eric

FEP Senior Member

When I was researching this last year a lot of people seemed to recommend headliner adhesive that an upholstery shop would use which you need a gun to spray. I cannot remember the name brands. It might be worth a trip to an automotive upholstery shop. Maybe they'd be willing to adhere the material to your backer board. I used the 3M spray in an aerosol can on my wife's station wagon and it worked well, but we are up in Michigan.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

I have used 3M Super 90 over the last 30+ years and haven't had a failure yet. That includes living in Central Texas and High Dessert area of Colorado. Tried some of the "Upholstery Shop" sprays and never liked any of them. I pick my Super 90 up at Home Depot or Lowe's most of the time. Just spray some on my 86 Bronco headliner on Sunday. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

Go to "Your Auto Trim Store" and buy some HHR glue. High Heat Resistance. This store sells auto restoration materials for the Do It Yourself crowd. The only problem is you have to buy it in a one gallon can. It's not that expensive either. I have it to do my cars headliner and dash pad.
    https://www.yourautotrim.com/

My ACME headliner when ordered from RA dropped shipped from ACME in CA. It came bent in half (TTOP) but was suppose to be rolled. Due to the difficulties working with RA's online return system. I simply called ACME and spoke with the RA Account guy and he had a new one sent and dealt with RA himself. It was their packaging job, So i'm glad they took responsibility. The second one came in without a hitch.
    1983 Ford Mustang GT | T- Roof | Polar White | Black Sport Interior

A great lesson here... DO NOT buy automotive parts from the same company that sells rockets to coyotes...

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  51.8 KB
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Update: they ended up refunding me and letting me keep the headliner. Honestly, I should have just thrown it away. What a complete piece of garbage. It’s insanely heavy and fits horrendously.

Do yourself a favor. Find a good used board and do it yourself or find someone to do it. I figured I’d try this route on this car and completely regret it.