Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My 1982 GT Survivor is Already Being Flipped!

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...ord-ohio-45150

Nothing wrong with it I guess, but I am a bit surprised to see this so soon, coming from a fellow FEP member
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

$17,500 > $22,900
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

That's totally fine... anything that raises the value of these cars is OK with me.
    82 Mercury Capri - 11.99 @ 112, AFR headed Mountaineer motor
    86 Mustang LX Coupe - the original Coyote swap 4-eye. Gone but not forgotten!

I've got to say that I cannot stand wheeler dealer wanna be flipper ballers entering my hobbies to make a quick buck without any effort. It does the hobby zero favors.

Not specifically crapping on this seller as I have zero understanding of his/her situation but I do find it disgusting in general.

FEP Member

I see no issue with it..good luck with the sale..absolutely beautiful car

Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI View Post
    I've got to say that I cannot stand wheeler dealer wanna be flipper ballers entering my hobbies to make a quick buck without any effort. It does the hobby zero favors.

Not specifically crapping on this seller as I have zero understanding of his/her situation but I do find it disgusting in general.

What issue do you have with capitalism specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by lxcoupe86 View Post
    What issue do you have with capitalism specifically?
    I don't have an issue with a person making money off of their hobby. There are a number of positive ways a person can accomplish that.

Just buying and relisting without any effort for a buck is not doing your fellow enthusiasts any favors.

I suppose we all have to draw our own line in the sand somewhere. If the car was listed for auction I might even find it interesting to see where it landed.

But as far as "anything" increasing the value of these cars being good? Anything? You will never convince me of that.

And honestly, I am not crapping on this particular case so much as the trends in the market.

Luckily there are still enough affordable cars at this point in time that anyone can still get in to the hobby. I hope it stays that way for some time to come.

I don't have an issue with a person making money off of their hobby. There are a number of positive ways a person can accomplish that.

Just buying and relisting without any effort for a buck is not doing your fellow enthusiasts any favors.

I suppose we all have to draw our own line in the sand somewhere. If the car was listed for auction I might even find it interesting to see where it landed.

But as far as "anything" increasing the value of these cars being good? Anything? You will never convince me of that.

And honestly, I am not crapping on this particular case so much as the trends in the market.

Luckily there are still enough affordable cars at this point in time that anyone can still get in to the hobby. I hope it stays that way for some time to come.
    I completely agree with this...and no one is a bigger fan of capitalism than myself.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

FEP has a stance on this sort of thing. So don't expect people here to cheer if this is nothing but a flip.

A $5400 increase in asking price certainly does not seem like a situation where the new seller is in financial trouble and needs to unload it quickly.

Delete post.
    Last edited by Hammer Down; 05-23-2020 at 04:48 PM.
    "40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor" erratic50

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    FEP has a stance on this sort of thing. So don't expect people here to cheer if this is nothing but a flip.

A $5400 increase in asking price certainly does not seem like a situation where the new seller is in financial trouble and needs to unload it quickly.
    I agree with this
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Don't be surprised that there are sketchy individuals on this forum. I communicated with a member who offered to look at a car for me. He said he looked at it and it looked good, but when I talked to the owner he said no one had ever come to look at it. I'm pretty sure the forum member bought it for himself lol.

I bought this car from Jason and he was great to deal with and a true enthusiast. The car is so nice I am not sure there is a thing I could do to increase its value and to me its perfect as it is. I list all my cars on classic cars and if they sell good and if they don't I really don't care as I love all my cars and this car as well. I pay a monthly fee and can list up to 100 cars so it cost me nothing to place the ad. I do not blitz my cars and paste them all over the internet, just on classic cars or sometimes on BaT. I have a great standing on all forums I visit and on all platforms I may list a car on.

I know its easy to pile on a dealer and call him a flipper and that they do nothing positive for the community, but for me that could not be further from the truth. I own numerous cars that I keep at home and use them to go to shows and for pleasure driving. I have placed first in my class at the Trans Am nationals so I know what it takes to maintain a show car like Jason's. I work everyday of the week to keep my cars and business to the highest level that I can. I run the place by myself and handle every aspect of the business. I buy them, I trailer them home when possible, I detail them, fix them when warranted, and handle all transactions with potential buyers. I actually just got home from the shop at 9pm tonight on a Saturday after getting to the shop at noon today. I buffed a car, put a distributor in a car, tuned one, meet with a potential buyer and his family at 4 pm, cleaned some wheels and tires, and mopped the floor before I left. I don't think that is the character of a flipper. I bought my own 4000 sq. ft. building and purchase all my cars, trust me its not as easy as it looks and there is a tendency to get your teeth kicked in daily as some have expressed in this thread. i have been in sales my whole career including corporate sales and management so thick skin is mandatory so I can take the heat but it does hurt the feelings as most don't really understand what it takes and the amount of work that is necessary. Corporate sales was a cake walk compared to this but 1/10 the fun.

As for Jason's car I paid his price he offered me without asking for one penny less. Picked up the car in person and paid him in the fashion he wanted and did not nit pick the car and told him I had a dealers license. Again, he was great to deal with and his cars are incredible.

What you do with your cars is your business, and I'm glad you have thick skin, because you might need it when you hear my 2 cents...

You can twist and spin your story any way you like, but the bottom line is you are a classic car dealer and they are the WORST of all automotive businesses hands down. This message isn't for you, this message is for anyone reading this and to educate common folks who have no clue how dirty this business is. I speak from experience because I have worked in the old car business for many years, and what I'm about to say is not opinion but a verifiable fact. I could sit here typing for days and write a book on the subject, but I have better things to do with my time so I will try to be brief.

Flipping cars has been around as long as cars have been around, that is not the problem. The problem is also not BJ auctions and TV shows as many are lead to believe, because wealthy collectors and investors were and always will be interested in purchasing rare desirable automobiles. The problem started 10 years ago when classic car dealers started popping up like pizza shops all over the country at a record pace. Why? Because they realized there was a ton of money to be made for doing very little work flipping ordinary classic cars that once belonged to the now extinct middle-class. More importantly, there is NO regulation or accountability whatsoever like there is with newer cars and/or real estate.

Let me give you a few examples. I can show you screenshots of all the major classified venues from 10 years ago where its mostly private sellers selling old cars at market value. Fast forward to the present day and 75% of the major classifieds are filled with classic car dealers asking DOUBLE market value. This causes several problems as it creates are false perception of the market, so Uncle Joe goes online and sees all these artificially inflated listings and automatically thinks his POS is worth that too, so he posts his POS on CL for a stupid unrealistic price, and that obviously has a domino effect and the velocity of money in the "real working class joe" hobby world comes to a crawl. Dealers will gladly pay $10k for a $10k car, ask $22k for it, and believe it or not they find a sucker who pays $20k for it and made $10k on a flip and they didn't even bother to check the fluids. If you ask the sucker why he paid $20k for it he will tell you that's what "they" all are asking.

Another example is, look at one of the many classic cars being sold by a classic car dealer with all the pretty pictures, described as a nut & bolt restoration, and listed as turn-key show condition with a price tag of $45k. Believe it of not, more often than not, when you arrive to look at the vehicle you find its an original unrestored car, engine spray bombed, wires hanging down everywhere, full of bondo, half the accessories don't work, and the tires 18 years old and dry rot cracking everywhere unsafe for the road.

But wait it gets better, of course the NADA and JJ Best finance companies want their hand in the money too, so they cook the books to support this garbage and tell that poor sucker who signed on the dotted line that he is covered, until the car arrives and he realizes he just paid $47k with fees and shipping charges for a car he would be lucky to get $17k for locally on CL. This is not a rare and isolated incident, this is common place nowadays. I have watched this unfold with a front row seat and what you are witnessing is not growth, its fraud, ethics and morals have gone completely out the window. Why? My wife can sum it up in one word... GREED.

So at the end of the day, anyone can ask any amount for any car, and if they find some sucker to pay it, they consider that a victory and a successful business transaction. But is that really honorable? You still have to look in the mirror everyday and at a spiritual level, quantum level, karma level... there is genuine accountability you have to answer for that far exceeds the state and federal laws.

Nice rant but I still don't see the issue with flipping cars. Seller1 gets his full asking price, and is very happy with the transaction and being able to sell his car. Buyer1 (dealer) purchases said automobile for full asking and conducts the transaction seamlessly and professionally, without the nightmare of Craigslist or eBay deadbeat bidders and tire kickers. What is there to lose?

If you cannot afford the hobby, then find a cheaper hobby. No rant or opinion is going to change the fact that the primary buyer's market for these cars are guys in their 30s-50s who now are professionals and have the money to buy and build the fox of their dreams. It will be nice when we can actually sell these cars for as much or more than the sum of parts we've put into them. Imagine the day an 82GT is worth the same (in that time period's equivalent dollars) as a 67 fastback?

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by lxcoupe86 View Post
    Nice rant but I still don't see the issue with flipping cars. Seller1 gets his full asking price, and is very happy with the transaction and being able to sell his car. Buyer1 (dealer) purchases said automobile for full asking and conducts the transaction seamlessly and professionally, without the nightmare of Craigslist or eBay deadbeat bidders and tire kickers. What is there to lose?

If you cannot afford the hobby, then find a cheaper hobby. No rant or opinion is going to change the fact that the primary buyer's market for these cars are guys in their 30s-50s who now are professionals and have the money to buy and build the fox of their dreams. It will be nice when we can actually sell these cars for as much or more than the sum of parts we've put into them. Imagine the day an 82GT is worth the same (in that time period's equivalent dollars) as a 67 fastback?
    spot on! But,one thing I do agree with is that,if u don’t know what your looking at u could get screwed.half the cars are either fakes or just plain ****e boxes sassed for a quick sale..obviously not the case here..that 82 is the real deal!
    Last edited by kfxmatt; 05-26-2020 at 05:02 PM.

I can see both sides of the argument.
    As long as the seller and buyer are happy with the sale price, it’s kind of none of our business.
    But to me, I would never sell a car for twice what I paid, unless I at least put some work into it.

As long as the buyer doesn’t try to pull the wool over anyone’s eyes as far as selling it, as long as the new buyer is happy with the price, again it’s kind of none of our business.
    Obviously no one wants to see anyone get taken advantage of
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

It’s the guys that try and lowball you and nitpick stuff
    Had a guy show up in a 60k ford truck wearing fancy clothes and jewelry
    Telling me all his rare fords and how much he made selling them.
    Wanted 4K for my ttop euro but could only offer 1200 acted like he
    Didn’t know what it was.
    Left mad
    1973 Montego GT 1981 Capri RS (351C)
    1971 Cyclone GT 1971 Cyclone GT
    1970 Cyclone 1969 Marauder X-100
    1970 Fairlane 500 (429SCJ) 1986 ASC McLaren Capri Vert
    1985 ASC Capri Coupe 2008 Bullitt 2013 GT 1985 Capri
    2001 GT 1994 XR7 1986 Capri
    1972 Mercury Montego/Ranchero conversion

FEP Senior Member

Very nice car. I looked through his pics. You have taken this car a long way since I saw it at the 30 Anniversary Fox Show in Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by mercrs View Post
    Didn’t know what it was.
    Left mad
    He must have thought he was on TV

Quote Originally Posted by mercrs View Post
    Didn’t know what it was.
    Left mad
    Which is why I don't sell cars in person or allow local inspections whatsoever. It's 100% eBay/ Bring a Trailer. They can wire the funds and send a truck transport. No sketchballs to deal with.

FWIW....I did not post this as a "rant", I just thought it needed to be pointed out as it would only be a matter of time when this listing was found and shared. I have no problem with Dan selling the car if it does sell. We agreed on a price, so I was happy where we landed....for both the seller and the buyer. I was NOT influenced by the Barrett Jackson results of the past few years, and don't believe that most of those "sales" actually traded coin for title. I have moved on to a driver Capri and very happy. If he finds a buyer that is willing to pay more for the car....well that's the way the used market goes, and good for him. And Dan was equally a pleasure to deal with.
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 05-27-2020 at 08:51 AM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I agree. Once you sell the car, it's out of your hands. No sour grapes later. If someone thinks they can sell it for more than what you asked, good for them. Maybe they are right and maybe they aren't. If you got what you wanted, then be happy.

... also, I'm years overdue for giving Jason an update on the 83 GT I bought from him years ago. I may have some progress updates to share later this summer. lol
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

FEP Senior Member

Pending sale...I just saw...damn.

Quote Originally Posted by 79Coupe View Post
    I agree. Once you sell the car, it's out of your hands. No sour grapes later. If someone thinks they can sell it for more than what you asked, good for them. Maybe they are right and maybe they aren't. If you got what you wanted, then be happy.

... also, I'm years overdue for giving Jason an update on the 83 GT I bought from him years ago. I may have some progress updates to share later this summer. lol
    Well it's about damn time Can't wait to see what you've done with the car.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast