Close

Default 86 Marquis wagon power window circuit breaker?

Does anyone know the part number for the power window circuit breaker, or have a pic of the actual breaker, or both? I think mine is missing in action, and google has too many possible different ones to figure out which one it really is. All the diagrams I've seen show it's supposed to be there, but not it's location in the fuse box. Any help would be great!

If all else fails, just get whatever you can find. As long as it has the right amp rating, you can make it work.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I can make a whole new circuit, if I have too. But I prefer to just restore the factory system. I've been referencing online diagrams, but if you try to search for "marquis" it's mostly "grand marquis" diagrams that come up. I'm hoping that mustang diagrams are the same, but I'm new to fox bodies, so it's a leap of faith. With a pic of the actual cb, or a part number, I think I can get the system working, without adding more mess to this hack job wiring I'm dealing with.

If you can find a wiring diagram it should specify the amp ratting of the CB.
    my 79 has a CB for the wiper/washer circuit, and it is only 6amps.
    There’s probably a way to run 12v to the window motor and measure the amp draw.
    Or, isn’t there a way to gauge amperage by the gauge of the wires? I thought I saw some charts regarding wire size and fuse sizes that may get you in the ballpark
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    If you can find a wiring diagram it should specify the amp ratting of the CB.
    my 79 has a CB for the wiper/washer circuit, and it is only 6amps.
    There’s probably a way to run 12v to the window motor and measure the amp draw.
    Or, isn’t there a way to gauge amperage by the gauge of the wires? I thought I saw some charts regarding wire size and fuse sizes that may get you in the ballpark
    It should be 20-25 amp. I think I finally found an accurate reference on the rockauto site. I wired the safety relay back in, got the power coming from the correct place in the fuse box, and I think I know where the cb went in the fuse box too. I can move the windows with a jumper wire now, just need to complete the circuit with the cb. I can't even imagine what the goal was, when the po did his thing on these poor wires...

according to the 1986 LTD owner guide, there is a 15 amp fuse for the power window relay in position 14 of the fuse panel in the dasn below the steering column. There is also a 20 amp circuit breaker for the pw, locks, seats attached to the starter relay(solenoid)
    Last edited by gmatt; 05-22-2020 at 08:02 AM.

Prerry sure that's the circuit breaker for the pw there on the left.Name:  P1370411.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  294.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    according to the 1986 LTD owner guide, there is a 15 amp fuse for the power window relay in position 14 of the fuse panel in the dasn below the steering column. There is also a 20 amp circuit breaker for the pw, locks, seats attached to the starter relay(solenoid)
    Thanks! I wasn't aware of yet another cb in that system. Unfortunately, the motor swap eliminated the external starter solenoid. But now I can work around that. And the pic showed just enough of the b/w wire to solve another mystery.