Close

Default Harbor Freight 3 and 6ton jack stand recall, more to come?

I guess word has been out for a while now on these, but I just found out today. Tell everyone you know who might have a set of these before something bad happens.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/h...ands-collapse/

4 of my 6 ton jack stands are product number 61197 and going back. I have never loaded mine anywhere close to half of their rated capacity, but I guess I'm still lucky they didn't kill me.

Canadians, keep an eye on your Princess Auto jack stands too. I have another 4 of their 6 ton versions and 2 of their 3 ton stands. They look like the exact same stands as the HF as I have had them side by side. Tried calling them tonight, but couldn't get through. I am sure there are other stores selling these same stands with their private labels on them.

Cale

Can't say I ever liked or fully trusted that design with the toothed support and pawl. Always feels like I'm not sure they're fully engaged. I have one set of 3 ton, not harbor freight though. I have several sets of the stands with the pin-in hole design, but the construction seems flimsy. Never had a failure of any type. So far.

I have never fully trusted any jack-stand without the back up of a wheel or ramp under the tires. I bought a QuickJack system several years ago and my jack-stands now only get used for the lawn mower. I also built some wheel cribs last winter that were a major game changer!
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    I have never fully trusted any jack-stand without the back up of a wheel or ramp under the tires. I bought a QuickJack system several years ago and my jack-stands now only get used for the lawn mower. I also built some wheel cribs last winter that were a major game changer!
    Very cool, I am considering a quick jack and wheel cribs
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I am going to make some cribs also! Glad that info was shared how to do it.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0