Close

Default Harbor Freight Jack Stand Recall

In case you weren't aware, please check your jack stands. Article includes how to identify affected stands.
    Stay safe

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/454000-...sk-of-collapse
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT
    Popular Hot Rodding Project Car '83/84

1983 Capri 331 ci, TKO600

I have 4 that are going back. Compared to another set I have that are the same, the teeth aren't cut as deeply into the arms.

Cale

I installed my entire new k-member and front suspension under those jack stands. Scary. And when I was done gave a set to my nephew.
    "40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor" erratic50

Turns out none of my 8 sets were from HF, but now understanding the risk, I replaced them all with double locking Strongways ( added pin) from Northern Tool. On sale for $20/pr it seems like insurance.
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Drivunn View Post
    Turns out none of my 8 sets were from HF, but now understanding the risk, I replaced them all with double locking Strongways ( added pin) from Northern Tool. On sale for $20/pr it seems like insurance.
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...6195_200756195 Look decent, I may get a set and throw my old ones out, and they aren't even from HF. lol
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

We took ours back and they gave us a store credit, and they screwed with us on the price.
    oh well better safe than sorry.
    We used those stands for the whole rebuild too.

@mcb82gt Yes those Northern Tool ones are the ones I was referencing.
    As they say " A $10 helmet is for a $10 head"
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT

I got almost $85 back on a gift card, and I know I didn't spend close to that with the 20% off coupons I use all the time on everything. They entered my info into the computer, so I was surprised by this. Fine by me, I have a 2 post lift now so I don't need to have 8 6 ton jack stands anymore.

Cale

Checked mine, no worrys Snap-ons here
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

So I have 3 sets of harbor freight Jack stands. But none of them have a label you can read because they are well used and stored outside for many years. And I didn't buy them at the same time.
    I'm thinking about taking them all back. I can't prove they are defective. But they can't prove they are good.
    Has anyone had a similar experience?
    Just curious how strict they are about this recall.
    I don't even want a gift card!!

I took my back, no receipt but still had stickers on them. HF put money back on card.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Default Safety stands, related

Recalling safety items happens. Takata airbags, Kidde fire extinguishers.

How many recalls start after too many injury reports? Don't every mfg do QC all the time? Especially a safety item? Nope.

How about older products? Recall was missed or not known about.
    Missed if not caught on tv news, notices sent by mail to purchaser, randomly read (posted in store, forums, product pages, searches).
    Did not know about the HF one. Sometimes take the time to quick scan store recall posters. But they don't stay up forever.

What happens when someone finds a pair at the curb or garage sale? Is every single undocumented owner aware of recall? No way.
    Hopefully all cash them in. But 10 years from now? Defective stands 'last' a long time, perceived by unknowing owner to be safe.
    How long does the recall last? Will HF or store be around then?
    Are stands being used under less than ideal positions or set on uneven, direct on soft ground by daredevil or careless owners? U bet.

Found out on one hot summer day my (pin type) jack stands left 'stamps' indented in the hot street asphalt.
    Not good if was those HF ones? Asphalt drive? Gravel?
    I trust a floor jack much less. Bought in 2003 a new aluminum 3k HF main jack. No problems but never totally trust them.
    Never tried the tire backup, a good idea.
    They say taking a cell phone under the car with you for emergency use is another.
    Better is to drag out the ramps for the all day jobs.

Waiting at a repair shop one day, seen a car half fall off a (2? 4?) post lift. No one was near it.
    I try to hang around to make sure no damage happens to mine and they don't tell. Like lift it wrong.
    Feel safest when shop drive on ramp lifts and/or pits.

https://www.napaonline.com/medias/Ev...TY0NWQ5NmQ4YzA

Have
    Penske 3000#- early 2000 Kmart purchase. Black/yellow ratchet, thick welded bases (4). Serial numbered. Trustworthy.
    Two stamped metal pinned post type. Bought new in the 70's. Unchained the pins to store them in toolbox. 3 pin levels.
    HF Nascar style 3000# aluminum floor jack. Seeps a bit of oil, does not leak down when loaded.
    Vintage 3000# small floor jack bought in the 70's. Painted it Ford Blue.
    Penske yellow black heavy floor jack. Kept in truck bed under truck box.
    70's steel braced ramp set with removable ramps (not one piece stamped construction). Ford Blue too.
    Plastic Rhino ramp set with risers for low valence cars.
    Wheel chocks are a must when raising vehicles.
    Ramps are cool but need to be wide enough for tires, spaced and placed exact, and not slide when driving on them.

originally posted by gr79
    Found out on one hot summer day my (pin type) jack stands left 'stamps' indented in the hot street asphalt.
    Not good if was those HF ones? Asphalt drive? Gravel?
    I have 1 foot square by 1/4 inch aluminum plates from the uprights of an old above ground pool we had.
    I put them under the jack stands to stop them from sinking into the driveway.
    One for the pin type, and two for the larger ratchet ones.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

I finally dug mine out over the weekend and luckily none are part of the recall, at least for now.

I have never really trusted this style of stand. When I use them, I try to never extend them. So far, I really haven't had a need to so far.
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981