Close

Default MM K member brace

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if the Maximum Motorsports 4 pt. K brace 79-93 is a direct bolt in? I thought I heard it won't be or that new holes my need to be drilled in the K member itself. Thanks!
    Horse Power is how fast you get to the wall,
    Torque
    is how far you get through the wall.

1979 Mustang HB 302 4sp

Bolted right in on my 1982 GLX 5.0. No new holes.

Kenny

Directly from Maximum's Website:

"1979-81 chassis has a different spacing for the k-member mounting bolts, which prevents this brace from fitting without modification to the k-member and chassis: The inboard mounting holes need to be moved outboard slightly to attach this brace."

​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks Trey

Yeah, I was looking all over on line and the MM site and I didn't see this info.

That's what I was seeing as I held it up into place. No problem with drilling a few new holes in the K member as long as MM says it's ok, lol.
    Torque

1979 Mustang HB 302 4sp

Quote Originally Posted by 79FOX302 View Post
    Thanks Trey

Yeah, I was looking all over on line and the MM site and I didn't see this info.

That's what I was seeing as I held it up into place. No problem with drilling a few new holes in the K member as long as MM says it's ok, lol.
    I swapped a later model K member into my 79 PC and had to modify the bolt holes to make it work. Nothing major from what I remember, but that was 10+ years ago now. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

The question is ...... is there that much advantage to the 4 point K brace vs simply using a piece of square bar to tie the lower K-member together like Saleen did back in 84-86.

Just curious about the opinions on that as a piece of square tube is CHEAP and easy and always a direct fit.

There are pictures of the brace Saleen used in my 85 clone's build thread.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    The question is ...... is there that much advantage to the 4 point K brace vs simply using a piece of square bar to tie the lower K-member together like Saleen did back in 84-86.

Just curious about the opinions on that as a piece of square tube is CHEAP and easy and always a direct fit.

There's also a drawing for one in the Mustang Performance Handbook. I made one based upon that, no idea how it compares to the commercially available ones, but the price was right.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 85WhiteGT View Post
    There's also a drawing for one in the Mustang Performance Handbook. I made one based upon that, no idea how it compares to the commercially available ones, but the price was right.
    A single tube will help to reinforce the K member alone, but a 4 point brace that is well designed and made will add additional rigidity and strength due to the triangulation. The issue with the OEM K member is that although heavy and bulky it is still just stamped steel with some welded on brackets. Under high performance conditions it does flex and move around which obviously causes geometry changes in your suspension that will affect the handling. Any K member brace will help with that and for most street cars a 2 point will be an improvement in most situations. If you drive hard and like to carve corners, then I would recommend stepping up to the 4 point brace. If you are a serious road racing junkie then a tubular aftermarket K member is going to be your weapon of choice for multiple reasons.

The Mathis book has diagrams and specifications for building your own K member brace and it can be done pretty simply. Some tubing, a welder, and some hardware and you can build your own. As long as its well built, fits properly then it will be an improvement in rigidity and handling. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Perhaps but in my case, the brace is in hand. I have no issue modding the brace, after all, ive changed and modded everything on the car myself. It's simply making new K brace mounting bolts. The only reason I questioned it was to be sure that I didn't have a "one off" concerning the way Ford threw these things together for the 1979 model year. I'll make new mounting holes in the K member seeing there's planting of metal where they need to be. Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it.
    Torque

1979 Mustang HB 302 4sp

Quote Originally Posted by 79FOX302 View Post
    Perhaps but in my case, the brace is in hand. I have no issue modding the brace, after all, ive changed and modded everything on the car myself. It's simply making new K brace mounting bolts. The only reason I questioned it was to be sure that I didn't have a "one off" concerning the way Ford threw these things together for the 1979 model year. I'll make new mounting holes in the K member seeing there's planting of metal where they need to be. Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it.
    I completely agree that if you already have the brace 2 point or 4 point, then just drill the new holes and mount that into your 79 Model. No need to re-engineer or modify it. Yes, unfortunately the 79-81 cars have some unique differences that cause issues. Many of the Mustang vendors have no clue the differences the early models have over the rest of the Four Eyes and many have probably never even owned or worked on a Fox that is older than the 87 model and have no clue how much was changed year to year and the differences. That is why you constantly see items listed as 79-93 when often they will not work without modifications on the 79-81 and even some require tweaks to fit the 82-86 models. The floor pan is different on the 79-81 cars and requires unique carpet compared to the 82-93 cars. The clutch pedal is a straight pull on the 79-81 models and doesn't use the clutch quadrant the 82-93 cars use. The threads on the door lock knobs of the 79-80 cars is different than the later models. There are all kinds of minor differences that many just don't know or care and the 79-93 is a quick and easy designation for the Fox. Anyway, Soapbox off, good luck and let us know how things go. Pictures are always preferred.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Trey,

Thank you so much! Yes, these first year cars were a bit odd in some areas compared to later years. I will say, with the MM strut tower brace, and sway bars, I can put more power to the wheels. That and the sub frame connectors and the suspension drop make it such a joy to drive. It just holds the road and the power. I'm loving this car all over again.

Have a great weekend and thanks again for all the great advice and insight.

Tony
    Torque

1979 Mustang HB 302 4sp

Crazy how just a few bolt ons can rekindle an old flame ..... not that I disliked them to start with. A little suspension and brake work goes a long ways. Plus it’s fun to toy with the SN and new edge and newer crowd after a few upgrades

I put a 4pt MM brace on my 83 last week, I had trouble aligning it right, and had to enlarge one of the holes by about 1/4-1/2 of an inch, but overall pretty easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tony