Close

Thread: AC compressor

Default AC compressor

Hello, all:

I may have asked this before, not sure. My original AC compressor was rebuilt in maybe 2015 and lasted for about two years if I recall. Then it went south. It was rebuilt by an outfit in Florida somewhere near Daytona Beach. I don't recall their name right now. Last year I tried to recharge it and it just wouldn't take anything. Went the professional route and the coolant leaked out at the middle compressor seam. They used UV dye to locate the leak and I saw it for myself. The rest of the system was great. And it was converted to R-134a in 2015.

Can this thing be rebuilt again? I imagine the seals inside went south but if the actual body is bad then its time for a new one. Carlisle has been bumped due to obvious reasons so I could use one now if that is the case. But if the original can be rebuilt again I'd rather go that route.

Any advice is most welcome.

Cheers

NO idea what kind of shape your FS6 is in, but most likely it can be rebuilt again. They are actually pretty stout units that hold up well and don't generally chew themselves up. My guess is the rebuild shop did a quick and dirty rebuild or more than likely just a reseal job and sent it out the door. You can find some of the rebuilt kits on Ebay and any decent A/C supply should be able to get you a complete kit if you want to go that route. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

They can be rebuilt. Sounds like the front carbon shaft seal went bad. They are very sensitive to dirt or improper installation. Usually they do not get changed on reman'd units as they drive up the cost of the rebuild quite a bit. Usually reman'd units are just a coat of paint and a set of O-rings.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

I'm hoping to keep it and rebuild it properly. Its the 6p148a Nippondenso unit. I thought there were special tools needed to rebuild these things. Wouldn't mind trying myself. I'll look for a rebuild kit and see what I can find. When it works it works great.
    Thanks everyone.

Century Auto Air lists the following for the 6p148a:

seal kit MT2140
    shaft seal kit SK-753N.

Looks like this may be all I need?
    Thanks all.