Close

Default Welding seat frame

I know this has been discussed at length but couldn't find any input on the 'reinforcement mod'.

Have my driver seat frame out and apart and have squared it back up and welded all the joints back together. It feels nice & solid now. Would y'all recommend welding in the 'x' frame on the back like in this post? Older Post

Example of what they did:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 9.22.26 AM.png
Views: 107
Size:  668.6 KB

Has anyone done it that can report back? My concern is being able to feel the 'x' through the new foam when i lean back.

Here's what I'm working with:
    Name:  IMG_9856.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  239.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_9857.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  232.6 KB
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

Nope! Your welding looks like more than enough and that cross won't fix the flawed design, it will just be a knee banger for anyone who sits in the backseat.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by mudgepondexpress View Post
    Nope! Your welding looks like more than enough and that cross won't fix the flawed design, it will just be a knee banger for anyone who sits in the backseat.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Kenny
    Good point, Kenny. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    86 LX Coupe

Apparently I am not hard enough on my seats, because I have never had to weld one up. Obviously I have had a few that had the gangster lean to them, but that's about the extent of damage I have seen.

IMHO if you are over 250lbs and you have to rock yourself to get out of the Fox, then the X may be a good idea. Otherwise, I don't see the need myself. Oh and just be clear I am 6'1" and weigh 255lb most days so I am not calling anyone out in regards to size or weight.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Apparently I am not hard enough on my seats, because I have never had to weld one up. Obviously I have had a few that had the gangster lean to them, but that's about the extent of damage I have seen.

IMHO if you are over 250lbs and you have to rock yourself to get out of the Fox, then the X may be a good idea. Otherwise, I don't see the need myself. Oh and just be clear I am 6'1" and weigh 255lb most days so I am not calling anyone out in regards to size or weight.
    Thanks, Trey! Was hoping you’d weigh in.

I’ve never broken a seat either. The sport seats I sourced for my vert must’ve had a hard life. All the spot welds on the driver back on the bottom joint were busted

I’m 6’2” & about 215 and make a point not to ‘fall’ down on them or load them up anymore than necessary so based on your expert opinion, I’ll leave good enough alone.

Kent

86 LX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by graphicdesigner80 View Post
    Thanks, Trey! Was hoping you’d weigh in.

I’ve never broken a seat either. The sport seats I sourced for my vert must’ve had a hard life. All the spot welds on the driver back on the bottom joint were busted

I’m 6’2” & about 215 and make a point not to ‘fall’ down on them or load them up anymore than necessary so based on your expert opinion, I’ll leave good enough alone.

Kent

Glad I could help. Honestly I think most of the damage comes from overweight owners that can't sit down in the seats, they fall down into them and then have to rotate and pull themselves out of the seat. I could stand to lose some weight, but luckily I am not that overweight and out of shape. So mine have all survived through the years. I personally have had to weld up more seat tracks over the years then any of the seat frames.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Glad I could help. Honestly I think most of the damage comes from overweight owners that can't sit down in the seats, they fall down into them and then have to rotate and pull themselves out of the seat. I could stand to lose some weight, but luckily I am not that overweight and out of shape. So mine have all survived through the years. I personally have had to weld up more seat tracks over the years then any of the seat frames.
    Interesting. Everything you stated is what’ll get someone banned from riding with me. You can usually tell a lot by the way they sit down in a car and close (slam) the door.

Never had an issue with either in my ‘86 coupe... maybe buying it when it was 13 years old has something to do with it.

86 LX Coupe