Close

Default Hood Struts (DIY) Yes I searched.

Hello and good day to all. I have a few questions. After the search function only showed me Threads from 2011 so I decided to start a new one. Living in Germany it would cost me twice the buying price in Customs fees and shipping to just buy a set. Is there a way to use struts from other cars that are easy to obtain with a bit of DIY fabrication? I would appreciate any help at all. Thank you.

FEP Supporter

I put some on my 82 about five years ago.

Here is one thread I remember on the subject. These are bought for our cars.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-more-prop-rod!

This was my info:

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    CHecking around this site gives a ton of info, insight and great ideas!
    I followed this thread: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1573871 for a while and decided to go for it too!

It is the MRT (80C000-BLK) no-drill ones: http://www.mrt-direct.com/80c000blk.html

I love these things (even though I haven't removed the prop-rod yet)!!

I had one bolt where I had difficulty getting it threaded back in the drivers quarter panel and of course these wouldn't work properly like that. Some cursing and perseverance and I managed to get it to go. I removed the decals too.

I really believe the kits are nice but my problem is I don't live in the US. Shipping and customs to Germany would be twice the price of the kit itself. I am looking for something I can make myself with parts from other cars I can find here. I can get the struts too but I just need to know the length, closed and open.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by GreY2231 View Post
    I really believe the kits are nice but my problem is I don't live in the US. Shipping and customs to Germany would be twice the price of the kit itself. I am looking for something I can make myself with parts from other cars I can find here. I can get the struts too but I just need to know the length, closed and open.

My car is in storage and not easy to get the dims. I just looked online and their site changed from the one linked in my post above and does not give those types of technical details unfortunately.

https://www.shopmrt.com/1979-1993-Fo...s-p/80c000.htm

Ok. I mean there has to be some kind of OG way they did back before they sold pre-made kits, right?

I have the kit that Darran showed that I took off my car because the struts were not supporting the hood. That was largely due to the added weight of the Pace Car fiberglass hood scoop and partly due to the struts having leaked down a bit.

I can dig it out and get some measurements for you if you like, or if you want, pay the shipping and I'll send the whole lot to you.

Ok, sounds interesting. If they'll hold the Turbo RS hood? Where do you live? What would shipping to Germany cost?

I'll do some checking on the shipping. After offering I realised that they won't allow the gas pressurized cylinders in regular mail so would have to be UPS or other shipper.

Ok, cool thank you

Found out. 97 jeep grand Cherokee rear struts work. Plus the mount plates will cost me $28 with all new parts.

I checked on the shipping and it would be a ridiculous amount to send these to you - way more than they are worth. Hopefully you can make the jeep option work.

Dimensions from a 1979 - 93 MRT Mustang Hood Strut, [Right Hand Side] same as the pics above.
    Name:  RH Hood Strut_0001.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  81.6 KB
    Name:  RH Hood Strut_0002.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  51.8 KB
    Name:  RH Hood Strut_0003.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  65.3 KB
    Hope these are of some help.
    I share your pain on shipment costs.
    Stay safe and virus free.

Thanks Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by GreY2231 View Post
    Found out. 97 jeep grand Cherokee rear struts work. Plus the mount plates will cost me $28 with all new parts.

Care to post the details on this?
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Will do. A member on the Facebook site said they fit on his. The mounts i found on eBay. I'll post picks later.

Man, I like that the one kit is no drill. That was one major thing keeping me from doing this was drilling into my hood. I assumed you always had to.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Power Member

Now that these are getting old, mine no longer hold up the hood. I see the measurements. Any ideas on the specs for replacement struts.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

2011, installed Redline Tuning struts on the Mustang and Ranger. One of the best additions ever.
    No prop rod to interfere with anything or unhook itself. No more pole to block under hood work, air hoses, electric cords.
    Mustang has Cobra hood scoop. Both working fine, all weather.
    Drilling holes and riveting in brackets was well worth it to get something to work so well and be solid and durable.
    Were ordered direct no 3rd party. They make them.
    Last edited by gr79; 09-28-2020 at 04:08 PM.