Close

Default Door bushing mystery

I bought a set of door bushings for my 1983 Capri and after they showed up took the door strikers off to complete the installation.Turns out I'm not able to get the washer off of the old striker in our to install the bushing. I've tried several different techniques without success. Is this normal? Have others use these bushings before with success on four-eyed cars? Here's the link to what I bought.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-BP241PR/197...riker-Bushings

You won't be able to remove the washer at the base of the striker to get the new bushing on. You could cut the bushing lengthwise and slide it around the striker, or buy a new striker with the bushing already on it.

This is just an example of a new striker...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-79-FOR...cAAOSwm4NbI-Xq
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

The videos make it look so simple... That's a bummer!

Unfortunately you have to be careful with online videos. For every video that you watch of someone successfully doing something, there are 100 videos that were never posted where it didn't work out like it was supposed to.

I ended up cutting the bushings to fit around the striker. It actually worked out okay, but I don't open the doors everyday either. After I slipped them over the striker, I wrapped them with gray electrical tape.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

FEP Senior Member

Some of the strikers allow you to completely disassembly the bolt and some (like yours) do not. I've done what tbirdman suggested and cut the bushing length-wise and spread it over the striker bolt and it worked fine. If you don't like that you can get the complete striker from RockAuto for $10.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

I recently changed my striker bushings, and was able to drive the pin through the washer with a dead blow hammer on both sides, using a vise.
    they went back together the same way.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

2x cut and paste
    2016, used 1/2" x .75 white PEX pipe as an experiment.
    Spread and slipped it on. The cut closed back up tight on its own.
    Door (drivers) latches easily like normal, no rattles.