Close

Default Steering column adjustment

I am the proud new owner of a shiny red 84 GT turbo 2.3. There is an issue with this car that I have never seen before and I have owned several 83-84 Mustangs as well as several 87-93 Mustangs.

The steering wheel scrapes my thighs when driving (I consider myself a regular size guy at 5'9'' 200 lbs). Getting in/and out of the car is a challenge. The car does not have a tilt wheel. Looking thru the steering wheel to where the steering column passes under the dash trim between the speedo and tach, there is a gap that is approx an inch plus. Seems to me that the steering column should be higher into that gap. Is there some way to adjust the column higher to get the steering wheel higher too?

Thanks

FEP Senior Member

The column is mounted under the dash with two brackets. Look to see if someone may have added a spacer between them and the bracket their mounted to.
    Is the seats the stock type/height also?

I'm sure you could slot the holes and redrill the bolt hole for the colapseable column.

The tilt ads a bit if length also.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by dynodon64 View Post
    The column is mounted under the dash with two brackets. Look to see if someone may have added a spacer between them and the bracket their mounted to.
    Is the seats the stock type/height also?
    Thanks for confirming that there is no "secret" adjustability to the column. I'll take a look at the mounting of the column. I also have my son's '83 that I can compare to.

Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by tjlcml View Post
    Thanks for confirming that there is no "secret" adjustability to the column. I'll take a look at the mounting of the column. I also have my son's '83 that I can compare to.

Thanks for your help
    What often happens is people take things apart and don't realize how to put it back together correctly. My guess would be someone messed up on the mount where the hood release is located. The install is column bracket, retaining nuts, hood release bracket, retaining nuts. That would account for the column being lower if they installed out of order or added spacers. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller