Close

Default 79 Doors Convert to Later Model?

Is it possible to convert the door handles on 79 doors to be used on an 82 ?

Name:  b6f7968231cdd15aa8500ef600dc3d69.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  67.8 KB
    82 Mercury Capri - 11.99 @ 112, AFR headed Mountaineer motor
    86 Mustang LX Coupe - the original Coyote swap 4-eye. Gone but not forgotten!

Yes, you can although I don't recommend it.

You can swap all the internals from your 79 doors into the 82 shells. You will have to cut out the shell where the handle goes. Then either fit the opening to the door handle or you can cut out that section from the 79 doors and weld, rivet, screw it to the 82 shell.

The other option unless you are just dead set on the low handle location is to use the 82 doors and internals and cut the opening in your hard plastic 79 door panels and just use the top mount handle location. You can patch the bottom of the plastic door panel and a new section of carpet will make it look good as new. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Yes, you can although I don't recommend it.

You can swap all the internals from your 79 doors into the 82 shells. You will have to cut out the shell where the handle goes. Then either fit the opening to the door handle or you can cut out that section from the 79 doors and weld, rivet, screw it to the 82 shell.

The other option unless you are just dead set on the low handle location is to use the 82 doors and internals and cut the opening in your hard plastic 79 door panels and just use the top mount handle location. You can patch the bottom of the plastic door panel and a new section of carpet will make it look good as new. Good Luck!
    Thanks. I was mainly curious about the other way around. Using 79 doors on my 82. I found a set of 79 doors locally.

If you swap the entire door, that's the easy way. I have the 79 doors obviously on my 79 PC. It takes awhile to get used to reaching down low. If you are a larger guy like myself, sometimes its more difficult than it looks. I have my seat all the way back on the rails, so it can be a pain at times. Not my favorite, but if you like it and want to make the change, then go for it and good luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Oh I certainly don't like the handle that low, it's kinda goofy, especially on a non-79. But I need rust free manual dpors and the only ones that have come up are off a 79.

Quote Originally Posted by lxcoupe86 View Post
    Oh I certainly don't like the handle that low, it's kinda goofy, especially on a non-79. But I need rust free manual dpors and the only ones that have come up are off a 79.
    Surprised that the 79 doors are the only ones that have come up, but I understand the dilemma. You don't have to stay with the low door handle position even if using the 79 door shells. You will have to swap the internals from your 82 doors into the 79 shells. I would recommend cutting out a large patch section from the 82 doors around the handles and that would allow you to place the handle correctly on the 79 shells and then either just cut that area out for the handle or you can again weld, rivet, screw the patch panel in place on the 79 shell for the upper handle location. It's not a complicated swap or change, just make sure to measure twice and cut once!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FWIW I did this swap on my sons 80 cobra last fall. Had a good set of 79 doors while the 80's were in rough shape. I basically cut out both doors following the same line (they are very similar) and then stitch welded in the 80 patch panel so the door handle and hardware could all be re-used. Worked out good I was pleased. The new assembly is just as strong as before and the handle fit perfect.

Name:  80 door.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  129.0 KB