Close

Default Cruise Steering Wheel Repair

I could never find a good replacement for my cruise steering wheel so I decided to try and repair mine.
    It was always cracked and the cruise buttons broken.

Name:  IMG_6775.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  174.9 KB

Name:  IMG_7496.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  109.1 KB

Using JB Weld black plastic and a hand made insert piece I repaired the left switch.
    Name:  IMG-7072.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  97.7 KB

Name:  IMG_7089 (2).jpg
Views: 190
Size:  459.7 KB

Scotch taping over the cracks to provide backing I filled the large cracks with JB weld using a syringe.
    Name:  IMG_7502 (2).jpg
Views: 197
Size:  144.8 KB

I found a new wheel center emblem that was not faded and redid the silver with a paint marker.

I found a new wheel center emblem that was not faded and redid the silver with a paint marker.

Name:  IMG_7499 (4).jpg
Views: 189
Size:  126.3 KB

Turned out really nice. Good job!
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Sorry for raiding you threat but can you please teach me how did you remove the center peace ? I understand there are holes behind the steering wheel and there are pins there but I do not understand how should I use them so release the center peace.

Quote Originally Posted by l6hmus View Post
    Sorry for raiding you threat but can you please teach me how did you remove the center peace ? I understand there are holes behind the steering wheel and there are pins there but I do not understand how should I use them so release the center peace.
    I don't have the specific steering wheel in question, but I believe the center piece is held in place by 4 phillips head screws. You should be able to rotate the steering wheel so you can use a standard phillips head screw in the openings on the back of the steering wheel. remove each of the screws, then disconnect any wires, etc. for the center piece to come off. Hope that helps!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Could you snap a picture of the back of the wheel for me? Argh. Zombie post. I can only assume it is back on the car...
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

The wheel is back on the car but I have some other pictures never posted so you are in luck.
    The rectangular center section is held in place by two plastic pins, pushes out from behind the wheel. Access is from two holes on the back of the wheel, dull end of a drill bit works well. This removes the main part, the rectangular ring than has torx screws accessed from the front.
    Name:  IMG_7490.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  165.0 KB

Just for future reference, those cruise buttons are on ebay all the time, just not always listed under mustang, try TBird, LTD, etc. You might have to repaint a weird color but the plastic would be nicer.

Kenny

So direct pressures to the plastic pins from the holes ?
    I applied some but thought that if I apply some more then it will brake.
    Will try to apply some more next time I'am working on the car.
    Thank you.

Wow apparently I was completely wrong. Figures that Ford would make that steering wheel completely different than just about ever other wheel of those year models.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

how many pins are on the output of that cruise setup? Is it just 2 contacts it slips on to? Trying to find a compatible button setup for a wheel I have. Looks like everything else is right on with your wheel.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

3 pin connector inside the wheel, black, light blue and purple wires.