Close

Default New Edge, old engine?

I've been kicking around an idea for a while and was hoping for some input from you guys.

I have a fresh 408w with forged internals and aluminum heads sitting on a stand. The plan was to build a fun 1/8 mile car. I have a couple foxes I could use, but they're not ideal for different reasons. My best option is to use my 86 roller, but it needs a ton of work just to get it solid, not to mention general paint and body work and then chassis work.

99-04 v6 mustangs are cheap and plentiful. Most already have a 4r70w... you probably see where I'm going with this and you're probably already shaking your head. These cars are electronic. The ecu controls the 4r70w, speedometer, and I'm guessing other gauges.

My question is, do you think it would be possible to swap in a carbed (or stand-alone efi) 351w and use the oem ecu as a transmission controller and for factory gauges? What about aftermarket gauge cluster and just using the ecu for the transmission?

If none of the above is feasible, I'm still considering just switching all the gauges and using a stand-alone transmission controller.

Or maybe option 17b: finding a 99-04 gt auto. Swap in the 408 and do efi using the factory harness. I'm open to suggestions on making this work. I'm not really interested, at this point, in a 94-98 car... and that included 94-95 gt, which I realize would be much easier.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Sounds like a ton of work to me, but then again my fascination with the 99-04 Mustangs has passed, so that may be the reason why.

My understanding is the ECU will not control the transmission without seeing engine information, but I may not be 100% correct on that. There are many aftermarket controllers that will operate the transmission stand alone. I haven't done enough reading or research to understand all the gauge nuances and what is needed to operate them without an OEM computer. Obviously aftermarket gauges could do the trick.

I completely understand budget concerns and constraints. I also understand just wanting to get something up and going and on the road. The question I have asked myself lately "Is it what I really want long term or am I being impatient?" Only you can decide what fits your desires and goals and if the New Edge with a SBF in it does, then I say go for it and just sort it out as you go. If the New Edge only scratches a temporary itch then it may be an expensive option that ultimately doesn't make you happy. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Very good points. I think the fact that there is very little information available on this is what intrigues me. I guess if I wanted to go the cheap route (assuming using the stock ecu is out of the question), I could just convert the 4r70w to manual valve body. There's a kit to convert the stock valve body and it's pretty cheap. The only thing that would be an extra cost would be an aftermarket gauge setup. The new edge 8.8 rears are readily available and it's my understanding the 4r70w rebuild is fairly simple. Torque converters are a little pricey. Normal "race car" type add-ons like roll cage, wheels/tires, chassis mods, etc are pretty similar between the new edge and fox, so I consider it a wash. The fox is a little lighter, but the trade off is that parts are more available and it's easier to find rust-free cars that don't cost a fortune.

I read something a while back on FB, iirc. Guy swears he took a new edge v6 and simply cut out the injector harness. He said everything else worked fine. But in the same discussion, others disagreed and said he was full of it. Anyway, it would be interesting to try it out.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Hey I am not going to fault you for giving it a go, especially since I am stuffing a Navigator 5.4 DOHC into a 82 GT . . . Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

In my state, the rules say that you can only swap the same model year or newer engine. Cannot put an older engine in a newer car.
    I looked into this when I wanted to put a carbed 351 into my S197 mustang
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    In my state, the rules say that you can only swap the same model year or newer engine. Cannot put an older engine in a newer car.
    This would basically be a track car, although, I don't believe my state has a law like that. Even if they did, they wouldn't have a reason to even check. We have state inspection, but they've never opened the hood, that I can recall. They look at lights, brakes, suspension, glass, excessive rust, window tint, and exhaust.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Oh, and we don't have emissions testing. They just check to make sure you have cats and mufflers and that the exhaust exits behind the rear axle with no leaks
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    What state is that? You don't have a location listed. Actually, I think many are like that though.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    What state is that? You don't have a location listed. Actually, I think many are like that though.
    Sorry about that.

I am from Massachusetts, that is where my screen name comes from.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

The Holley Terminator X-Max will control the 4r70w transmission, but if it's a track only car on a budget, do a carb and manual valvebody.

I've had similar thoughts about an SN or New Edge since they are dirt cheap and still in relatively decent shape for the money compared to the Foxbody's. I'd want to do a 460 though.