Close

Default 4.2 crank/rods/pistons in a early non roller cam 3.8 v6 block ?

Does anyone here know for a fact that a 4.2 crank/rods/pistons will fit in a early (82- 87) non roller cam 3.8 v6 block ? I have read conflicting information and been told by "experts" that yes it will work and no it will not work. Looking for info from someone that has tried it / done it and has first hand information on the swap.

Also can anyone confirm the 3.8 (82- 87) has 1.6 rocker arms ? I believe the 4.2 has 1.7 and I am thinking of swapping the 1.6 for the 1.7's. Has anyone done this with these engines.

Yes I know a 5.0 is a better, cheaper, option, yes I know I can swap in a newer 3.8/4.2. I want to keep things simple and use what the car came with, I also am not looking for a hot rod but would like to kick up the power a little.

Thanks

Probably not, as Ford did major reworkings when the Super Charged engine came out, which was recast thicker. You have to ask

I guess you may not be aware of the trust bearing failure which forced Ford to use the Mazda Five speed and reduce the main bearing diameter on the SC 3800.

The head gasket failures, class action suit curtailed when Ford paid for 94-97 head gasket replacements. This was due to the low Brinell number hardness typical of early 82-97 heads.

Read the first four pages here.

Quote Originally Posted by plstktnkr2 View Post
    I am currently putting a new engine in my '83 GLX.

It is a 3.8 stroked + poked to 4.3L that came from a 1989 "Supercoupe" T-Bird

Some of it's features are
    Girdle on the mains, with ARP studs, 4.2 F 150 crank, wiseco pistons and 351 h-beam rods.
    Heads have been ported, larger valves, springs, and roller rockers, ARP stud kit as well.
    Static compression is 9.5:1 Cam specs to follow (as soon as I find my cam card)
    I have also procured a MASSIVE (compared to stock) intercooler and am in the process of designing a less restricted airpath from the S/C to the intake.

Pictures coming soon.
    The issue is the crank girdle and the sump modifications. The crank girdle is mandatory. Call and check with Tom Morana;

Morana Racing Engines

302 Fairall Street
    Ajax, ON L1S 1R6
    Canada
    Phone: (905) 426-3673
    Toll Free: 1(877) 412-2815

The girdle gets away in other things that get in the way on a K member.

http://www.mre-books.com/sa106/hipomustang6.html

Increasing the displacement of the 3.8L is as easy as dropping in the longer stroke crankshaft from
    the larger 4.2L V-6. This cast crank increases stroke from the stock 3.39 inches to 3.74 inches. Of
    course, the rod length and piston compression distance must be matched to the increased stroke.
    Morana has forged rods and pistons that work well.

Chap. 1 - Chassis
    Chap. 2 - Wheels and Tires
    Chap. 3 - Suspension
    Chap. 4 - Brakes
    Chap. 5 - 3.8 Engines
    Chap. 6 - 4.6 Modular Engines
    Chap. 7 - Transmissions
    Chap. 8 - Rear Axles
    Chap. 9 - Aerodynamics
    Chap. 10 - Safety Equipment
    Chap. 11 - Get Involved!
    Chap. 12 - Project Cars

Quote Originally Posted by subgunmike View Post
    Also can anyone confirm the 3.8 (82- 87) has 1.6 rocker arms ? I believe the 4.2 has 1.7 and I am thinking of swapping the 1.6 for the 1.7's. Has anyone done this with these engines.

The Essex used the same rocker gears as the HSC 2300/HS0 2500 over head valve engines. Its the stock 5.0 rocker gear with a 1.7:1 ratio.

Again, check with Tom.

If these guys don't know, nobody does. http://moranav6racing.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    If these guys don't know, nobody does. http://moranav6racing.com/
    Their site has 4.2 and 4.4 stroker kits for the 3.8.
    http://moranav6racing.com/category.html?CategoryID=16