Close

Default 79 Mustang, 2 stripped wires above foglight switch

Trying to figure out where these go. This does have the center console warning display, and the pink wire has continuity with a pink wire down at that plug, but I am struggling to find out where the other (Orange-Pink?) goes.
    The wiring for the foglight switch is already accounted for, so it's not that wiring.

Have been digging over the prints for the car and having problems. Hopefully someone on here has an intact car that maybe they can take a peek on?
    Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 85
Size:  1.16 MB

Ok, making progress - I found the P/OG wire going into the fusebox, and it looks like it's a accessory 12v line, it's powering 10,11 and 12 on the fusebox. Further confusion, both wires are tied together on one of the 4 pin connectors that are on the console.

Stumped again.
    So, I have continuity from the P/OG wire that is stripped off to 3 different spots in the fuse box, so I am assuming that P/OG is a feed for 12v on Accessory like I said before. I also have continuity from the stripped P wire to the 4 pin connector that goes down to the center console (looks to be a power feed to the center console/outage display). At that 4 pin connector, there is a P wire and a P/OG wire that are crimped to the same pin, but there is no continuity between the 2 stripped wires.
    Furthermore, none of this tells me what did once exist, and now is just 2 lonely stripped off wires.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 65
Size:  513.0 KB

I am just about ready to start untaping the whole harness so I can manually trace everything. It would possibly help me figure out why my dash illumination isn't working correctly.

Ok, another grey hair to add to the count, but I have positively identified the 2 wires (and solved my dash lighting issues, but that's a different story)
    The purple wire does indeed go straight to the center console and into the bulb outage display panel, where it likely works some magic and lights up an ancient LED. More likely, it's the power feed for the panel, but I won't know till I get it back together and start working with things under power.
    The P/OG wire goes into the fuse box, and when I was poking around yesterday, I was incorrect in saying it was a feed (I had a fuse in, so it jumped across to the feed and got me continuity all over the place). It is actually the load side of fuse 11, which is labeled as "Air Conditioning Clutch, Heated Backlight Relay, Speed Control and Illuminated Entry". Well, the car doesn't have cruise nor does it have a/c, so that leaves heated backlight relay and illuminated entry. The dome light never worked since I've had it, so that would explain that at least, though I am not 100% on what the "heated backlight relay" is. Is that the rear defrost?

Regardless, now the harness has new tape over about 50% of it, the fuse box has a bit of a tuneup done, and I'm ready to start putting the dash back in and forgetting where the connections are.

I do have to say that the resources on this site have been very helpful, with the wiring diagram that's avail here.

Final update on this thread - The solid purple wire is power for the clock on the center console. I got power to everything, and after confirming that the purple wire didn't go to ground, I put power to it from the purple/orange wire and the clock turned on. I can only assume that the purple/orange wire that goes into the same pin on the connector continues off to power something else, should be the dome light according to the fuse box, but I'm not sure on that.