Close

Default Is this normal on a steering rack?

I got a new one piece rack for the Granada. On the old one, at the top of the part where the pressure hoses are and the splined shaft comes out, it is metal/sealed. The new rack has a rubber cap that just lifts off?? Seems like it should be sealed?

Replacing the '81 Granada rack with a 1989 year replacement. Just seems odd. The steering coupler for the tag joint fit perfectly.

Normal?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I don't remember any exterior seal on the SR. It's sealed internally so, a dust cap only seems reasonable.

OK. I just thought it odd that the one I removed was essentially solid, and this one had just that dust cap. When lifted one can see a lot of red grease.
    Appreciate the response - I may just secure the cap a bit for my own weird piece of mind.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I just picked up a used Reman unit that was new but never installed and it also has the removable cap at the top where the rag joint connects. maybe its remanufactured units that just come that way??