Close

Thread: Hello!

Default Hello!

Hey yall! New to the forum and just wanted to say hey and give a little info about what I got going on as just an over view.
    I sold my last mustang (02gt) a while back and it was my baby.. spent several years through college and well after to build all of it the way I wanted from top to bottom full suspension, cage, fully built 5.1 mod motor, built 8.8 etc. After many years I mistakenly let her go. My first mustang was a 91gt and it was just a mild forged 306 that's where the fox love started. Now fast forward to 2020..

I picked up my brothers 85 gt, with at the time, little love for the 4eyed body. I now have began to love it and it is time to start a new build. It was fairly unmolested with only 2 owners prior to my brother.

It had been sitting for 3 years as the trans was out, I just finally after a year of owning it got it squared away and now I'm going through it and getting her ready. I dont know much about what all is different from 85/86 to 87-93 cars but I'm quickly finding that there are some big differences and some things are harder to find.

The car is mostly stock 140k 302 with a mild cam and performer rpm intake. Iv got the carb situation settled now and have recently replaced brake booster and master as the brakes were pretty god awful. Soon I'm going to do some searching around on here and find out what all I can get rid of as far as emission stuff and wiring that doesn't need to be there and just kinda clean it up. To keep this post from getting any longer I again, just wanted to say hey and thanks for the add. Yall will be seeing me around here a lot more as I get further into this new build!

Welcome to FEP... Post some pics of her when you get a chance... Have fun with the build..

85 was a good year for engine internals...forged flat top pistons with valve reliefs, chrome moly rings, roller camshaft, etc....plus no puter. The bottle necks to look at to get the short block breathing are the intake, heads, and exhaust. The carb is fine with some tweaks and better than most you can buy even now. The intake manifold is just restrictive...and so are the heads, plus they have huge combustion chambers. Putting a set of GT40p heads will boost compression ratio from 8.4:1 to about another point. The exhaust could use an offroad type to help things.

Show us some pictures and keep us posted on what you decide to do...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Welcome to the site
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    85 was a good year for engine internals...forged flat top pistons with valve reliefs, chrome moly rings, roller camshaft, etc....plus no puter. The bottle necks to look at to get the short block breathing are the intake, heads, and exhaust. The carb is fine with some tweaks and better than most you can buy even now. The intake manifold is just restrictive...and so are the heads, plus they have huge combustion chambers. Putting a set of GT40p heads will boost compression ratio from 8.4:1 to about another point. The exhaust could use an offroad type to help things.

Show us some pictures and keep us posted on what you decide to do...

Thanks I wasnt aware of that!

For now I'm just trying to get it driving and steering and safe, I'll put some pictures up this evening when I get home but plans are (very vaguely)

Dart 363, tubular suspension, built 8.8, mm cage, and probably a s366 or something similar, I had hell with my old vortec on my 2v so I'm hesitant to try that again but wouldn't be opposed to another vortech/procharger if one came up after the motors done. Itll be a bit before I dive into that but I'm going to get the suspension and rear end handled first.