Close

FEP Member

Default 1984 LX Decor Group

In doing research on SSP Mustangs, I have run dozens of Marti Reports. Here is a link to a Marti Report on a 1984 SSP Mustang ordered by the Texas Dept of Public Safety -

1984 Marti Report

In reading the report, it made me wonder. What is included in the LX Decor Group that year? I know some of the 1983-1984 TxDPS Mustangs had their body side moldings trimmed out in red and perhaps white. Would that have been part of this option? TIA!
    Bill Jr.

FEP Member

...whereas here is a 1983 TxDPS with the GL Decor Group -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...info175205.htm

So how are these two options different?
    Bill Jr.

The 1984 Mustang L was the 'base' model. The 1984 Mustang LX was the next teir and it got everything the L got, plus more. Here are the 1984 Mustang 'major standard features' pages from the 4/84 (revised) Car Facts Book.

Name:  20200429_060732.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  315.6 KB
    Name:  20200429_060647.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  245.0 KB

There were two options that were available on the 1984 Mustang LX 2-door sedan that were not available on the 1984 Mustang L 2-door sedan:

Sport Performance Seating
    Stripe Delete
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 04-29-2020 at 05:26 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

The 1983 Mustang L was the 'base' model. The 1983 Mustang GL was the next teir and it got everything the L got, plus more. Here are the 1983 Mustang 'major standard features' pages from the 3/83 (revised) Car Facts Book.

Name:  20200429_061041.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  380.4 KB
    Name:  20200429_061017.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  263.8 KB

There were four options that were available on the 1983 Mustang GL 2-door sedan that were not available on the 1983 Mustang L 2-door sedan:

3.8L V6 engine
    5.0L V8 engine
    Sport Performance Seating
    Stripe Delete
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Member

Thanks Mick. So to easily distinguish photos of 83/84 TxDPS cars, the 83 would have black rocker panels, whereas the 84 would have chrome rocker panel covers. Good to know!

Would the color keyed bumper moldings be determined by the interior color?
    Last edited by 28HopUp; 06-07-2020 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Correcting erroneous info
    Bill Jr.

When it comes to SSPs, or any special order for that matter, all bets are off whether standard equipment remained on the car. The remarks on the build sheet to remove or install parts were the final say.

Has is been established that all 1983 TxDPS were L and not GL, and all 1984 TxDPS were LX and not L?

Bodyside molding inset stripes, and bodyside paint stripes, were color-coordinated with the exterior paint and interior trim colors.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 04-29-2020 at 10:25 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

For the 1983 model year there were four molding inset stripe colors:
    Light Academy Blue
    Light Grey
    Medium Red
    Tan

The code for molding inset stripe color was denoted only on the build sheet. The code was not on the door tag, buck tag, owner card, window sticker, etc. It is not on a Marti report either. The codes are also listed in some of Ford's literature.

For the 1983 model year there were eight bodyside paint stripe colors:
    (A) Black
    (B) Light Academy Blue
    (C) Copper
    (D) Medium Red
    (P) Silver
    (Q) Dark Academy Blue
    (U) Tan
    (W) White

The code for paint stripe color was denoted on the build sheet. The code was also denoted on the door tag under the "AC" column, but only on units produced after 12/82, and only for L/GL/GLX. (GTs and Turbo GTs had a specific code for the "GT" or "Turbo GT" sticker color on the hood/fenders/rear, i.e. 1 through 6.) For units produced before 01/83 the "AC" column was actually used to denote air conditioner (code "A" for AC, blank for no AC). The paint stripe color code was not on the buck tag, owner card, window sticker, etc. The code on Marti reports shoudl be exactly what'ss on the door tag, following along the same timeline as above (with the door tag A/C code change between Dec 82 and Jan 83). The codes are also listed in some of Ford's literature.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 04-29-2020 at 10:34 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

For the 1984 model year there were four molding inset stripe colors:
    Bittersweet
    Light Grey
    Medium Blue
    Tan

The code for molding inset stripe color was denoted only on the build sheet. The code was not on the door tag, buck tag, owner card, window sticker, etc. It is not on a Marti report either. The codes are listed in some of Ford's literature.

For the 1984 model year there were nine bodyside paint stripe colors:
    (A) Black
    (C) Mandarin
    (D) Medium Red
    (E) Bittersweet
    (P) Light Grey
    (Q) Dark Academy Blue
    (S) Bright Academy Blue
    (U) Tan
    (W) White

The code for paint stripe color was denoted on the build sheet, door tag (preceded with a "B"), and on Marti reports but only for for L/LX. (GT and Turbo GT have a specific code for the "GT" or "Turbo GT" sticker on the hood/fenders/rear, i.e. G1 through G6. G.T.350 has a specific code for 5.0L or turbo model, i.e. GD or TD. SVO does not have a code on the door tag or Marti report.) The paint stripe color code was not on the buck tag, owner card, window sticker, etc. The codes are listed in some of Ford's literature.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 04-29-2020 at 10:34 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Has is been established that all 1983 TxDPS were L and not GL, and all 1984 TxDPS were LX and not L?
    No, I was considering that as well. I've learned not to assume anything when it comes to these cars. I see some TxDPS cars ID'd as 84s without having the chrome rocker cover. So maybe some of their cars that year were L-optioned? (or maybe they're 83s?) Who knows? I just wanted to confirm that we had these marked correctly on .NET, so thanks (AGAIN!) for your help.
    Last edited by 28HopUp; 04-29-2020 at 10:42 AM. Reason: fixing a typo
    Bill Jr.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    For the 1984 model year there were four molding inset stripe colors:
    Bittersweet
    Light Grey
    Medium Blue
    Tan
    Were these insert stripes painted or vinyl?
    Bill Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
    No, I was considering that as well. I've learned not to assume anything when it comes to these cars. I see some TxDPS cars ID'd as 84s without having the chrome rocker cover. So maybe some of their cars that year were L-optioned? (or maybe they're 83s?) Who knows? I just wanted to confirm that we had these marked correctly on .NET, so thanks (AGAIN!) for your help.
    If you have a VIN it's easy to do, since the model year has a code in the VIN. If it's juts a picture it's a bit more difficult. Depends on which part(s) or the car you can see.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Quote Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
    Were these insert stripes painted or vinyl?
    They're actually molded into the black bodyside molding. That's what makes them so difficult/expensive to reproduce.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Member

Yes, I'm just looking at photos. These were put online by ImEvil1 and others who are very well acquainted with TxDPS cars, but as new pics pop up (on FB) it will be good to be able to quickly ID them.

Thanks for the info on the body side molding having the color molded in. That would make sense from a manufacturing standpoint. I can see it being a pain to replicate for a restoration.
    Bill Jr.