Close

Default Cigar Lighter Exploded View?

Can someone please take a spare cigar lighter plug apart for me so I know what goes where? I took mine apart and the parts just went everywhere. I appreciate your help!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Default light 'em up

Same thing happens when forget leaving a cheapo butane lighter in the console of a hot car.
    The sun's heat takes it apart. Pieces go everywhere. Cause no damage or fire (so far).

Anyway, I just buy a whole new assy or go to the boneyard, especially for elements. Many were never used.
    No way to know if you found all the pieces. Not expensive to replace <10.00.

https://www.google.com/search?q=car+...w=1152&bih=741

The element knob unscrews to transfer it to new heater element assy. Or to change to something different.
    Chrome with Lincoln logo, long reach black knob, larger knob, lighted ring, whatever.
    Hold assy between two fingers and push heater coil out. Grip and push like using 2 part epoxy plunger.
    Hold and grip the heater coil with pliers, unscrew knob.
    Power socket: Remove fuse if desired. Disconnect the power wire and ground.
    Wedge needle nose pliers or snap ring pliers inside the socket to keep from rotating.
    It will come apart if the little nut on the power stud comes off.
    Channel lock pliers to unscrew the ribbed outer shell retainer from the back.

Last edited by gr79; 04-28-2020 at 02:00 PM.

I just checked my dash
    and my cigar lighter is missing.
    Sorry I couldn’t help
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Yeah, I don't really care about the lighter part itself, just the socket. I might buy another one, but it would be nice to learn how it's supposed to be in case it happens again. I tried google, but have had no luck.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

My buddy has a 78 Fairmont.
    Next time I am over at his place I can try and get a pic?

all that is there on my car is the bracket. No socket
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

FYI It doesn't need to be from an F/Z. Mine is from a '97 T-bird.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

This?
    Name:  lighter exp 3030.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  54.5 KB
    Last edited by gr79; 05-03-2020 at 10:27 AM. Reason: shrink pic size

Yeah, thanks! Is that washer metal?

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

The washer looks like bakelite or fiber. It insulates the nut and stud from the outer housing, which are 12v hot.

In the pic, the threaded insert of the inner shells threads into the outer. The shells are grounded.
    The outer shell is the retainer that keeps the inner lighter assy tight into the dash or console. Also has the ground tab.

The studded spring inserts into white insulator part. There are little prongs in the 'spring' that clocks it on the white part.
    Then to reassemble, push the spring and white thing down the barrel of the inner shell, centering the stud.
    The spring prongs should be orientated in the open windows or slotted parts of the inner shell.
    If the springs are not centered and touch the shell, they will pop the fuse.
    The nut and stub must be centered and tight so the springs wont rotate, touch the housing, and short out the fuse

Was in the process of posting better pics but had 2 short power outs at the house. At least i finall learned an easy way to shrink high rez smartphone pics to much smaller size for forum posts.
    Then the internet went out while uploading.
    Last edited by gr79; 04-30-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    The washer looks like bakelite or fiber. It insulates the nut and stud from the outer housing, which are 12v hot.

In the pic, the threaded insert of the inner shells threads into the outer. The shells are grounded.
    The outer shell is the retainer that keeps the inner lighter assy tight into the dash or console. Also has the ground tab.

The studded spring inserts into white insulator part. There are little prongs in the 'spring' that clocks it on the white part.
    Then to reassemble, push the spring and white thing down the barrel of the inner shell, centering the stud.
    The spring prongs should be orientated in the open windows or slotted parts of the inner shell.
    If the springs are not centered and touch the shell, they will pop the fuse.
    The nut and stub must be centered and tight so the springs wont rotate, touch the housing, and short out the fuse
    Now we're talking, thanks! My assembly is a little different, but mostly the same. My washer is that same material, but I have a couple more metal "centering" components that seem to go at the back. I'll have to post a pic and see what you think.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I am doing some mods on my '78 Zephyr Z7, and this includes relocating the cigar lighter socket.

The original socket I have in my car does not have a tab on the outer shell for grounding. I figure this version of the factory shell is grounded to the metal chassis where the ashtray hangs - in turn connected to the lower metal bracket from the radio - BTW the factory radio also is not wired to ground, but relies on this metal bracket to ground to the chassis.
    I had to purchase an aftermarket cigar lighter socket that comes with the outer shell tab to connect a ground wire. The power wire connects to the exposed tip of the threaded center stud.

I'll show a pic of my intended mod later this evening when I am back home.

Raul
    Last edited by chivaceae; 04-30-2020 at 07:39 AM.

Alright here's mine. Forward view, you can see the spring thingy almost touching the inner sleeve, and the round plate it sits on top of here.

Rear view. Here's where mine's different. You can see the threaded stud, the nut, and the fiber washer. Below the fiber washer is what appears to be another one of those spring deals, and another round plate that seem to function to center the stud into the inner copper threaded housing that butts up against the inner sleeve.

Do you guys think this looks right? I can see it's not centered in the inner threaded housing, so that's a small tweak, but other than that. What's weird to me is that the rear spring deal and round plate are attached with the threaded stud which gets power. Wouldn't they conduct power straight to the outer housing and therefore ground?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Internet is down at the house. ATT said will fix by tomorrow. Will see.
    Sitting in the Mustang using smartphone and bt kbrd in HD parking lot.
    KB fits perfectly on the steering wheel rim wedged under the sport wheel spokes.
    Can see the first pic fine. Looks ok.
    Cannot see the right side of second pic on the screen.
    Thinking if lighter not needed, install a new 12v powerpoint there?
    Added 2 in the car and truck. They had none, other than 12v lighter power.
    Handy for powering gps, charging phone, powering 120v inverter, etc.

Am also going to get the same brand AFR gauge very soon.
    Going with band clamp bung. No o2 sensor on the car.
    Has to be past the t/c. Have a spot. And the correct distance.
    Rust out hole in downpipe.
    Last edited by gr79; 04-30-2020 at 03:03 PM.

I would test continuity between the center stud and the housing. If it’s open, you should be good?
    but if there is continuity, then it is as you say- and it would pop a fuse

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    I would test continuity between the center stud and the housing. If it’s open, you should be good?
    but if there is continuity, then it is as you say- and it would pop a fuse
    Good idea.

I guess I just wanted to be sure before I bolt in this radio bezel. It is a MAJOR PITA to pull it out once it's in. Especially now with the mechanical temp gauge.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Internet is down at the house. ATT said will fix by tomorrow. Will see.
    Sitting in the Mustang using smartphone and bt kbrd in HD parking lot.
    KB fits perfectly on the steering wheel rim wedged under the sport wheel spokes.
    Can see the first pic fine. Looks ok.
    Cannot see the right side of second pic on the screen.
    Thinking if lighter not needed, install a new 12v powerpoint there?
    Added 2 in the car and truck. They had none, other than 12v lighter power.
    Handy for powering gps, charging phone, powering 120v inverter, etc.

Am also going to get the same brand AFR gauge very soon.
    Going with band clamp bung. No o2 sensor on the car.
    Has to be past the t/c. Have a spot. And the correct distance.
    Rust out hole in downpipe.
    Yeah. I'm just not wanting to go to a store if I don't have to, to buy another cigar lighter socket. What with the 'Rona and having to drag the kids along. My wife works all day for the next 3 days. I'm also not wanting to have to wait for one to be shipped to me, although if I'd ordered one right away when I posted this, I'd have it already.

I like how the Innovate is well thought of enough to be packaged with MS2 PnP, but... I think if I'd known of the possibility of having the narrow band output that I could run straight to my EEC so I wouldn't have to add another damn bung, I would have tried to find one that has that. Oh well, can't do anything about it now.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

All right ATT came thru and am back online with the desktop.

I used good old MS paint to resize pics. Image stretch 30% H+V from 100%.
    To help others with an option as to resize images we like to see.

Am with you. Would rather fix, mod, re purpose existing parts rather than do the store routine. Satisfying.
    Minimize collection of parts that did not work out, now sit taking up space, cannot recover the cost. Hurts.
    Not the most cost effective way to keep things clean by collecting dust but do serve as reminders.

Maybe can remove the nut and eliminate the extra parts at the power end, then solder a ground wire to the shell?
    Just keep the nut and insulating washer. Or if no non metallic washer, use a nylon one if on hand.
    No trip to Menards for a 25¢ item if possible.

Saving up for one of these. Only 30 or so but we know this stuff adds up. But then if correct, we forget the cost later.
    Ouch those a/f gauges are expensive. They would have been 1-2 weeks pay way back when.
    (No adj of pic size was done)

Maybe can remove the nut and eliminate the extra parts at the power end, then solder a ground wire to the shell?
    Just keep the nut and insulating washer. Or if no non metallic washer, use a nylon one if on hand.
    No trip to Menards for a 25¢ item if possible.
    Yeah, that's actually what I ended up doing. When I tested for continuity between the stud and the sleeve, it had it. So, out came the stupid extra parts.

Retested, no continuity. Hooked it up, we have power, and no blown fuse! Thanks for all the help, guys.

Yeah, those gauges are way expensive. I wouldn't know, but I guess they are very helpful when you get down to tuning though. We'll see.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Nice, glad you were able to get it sorted