Close

Default In tank fuel pump for blown 331

Now that I inherited LTD, would like to eventually fix pressure issue. I believe we used a 155, way back in the day.
    Upon tuning, fuel pressure would drop @ full throttle/high RPM. I told my father just don't floor it, ever.
    He only putted around locally to car shows, so he never even needed 1/2 throttle.

I'd like to get that fixed. We did cut a hole in the floor of trunk, so should not be too bad of a swap.
    Is a 255 enough, typically for that combo, or should I go for some external and leave the 155 as a
    "primer"?

This is general combo.

331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI,
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

255 should be plenty, the 155 no way.
    Another thing you can do with your 255 is wiring it through a relay so the power comes straight from the battery, it helps at night for sure with lights on to keep the voltage up.

I ran a 190 through a relay with a 306 powerdyne 9lb edelbrock heads ported intake and always had good fuel pressure I had to run a bleeder valve on my FMU because I would get too much fuel pressure.

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Haven't used or done it but recently seen aeromotive foxbody drop in OEM tank it's called 340 stealth I believe

Uses stock tank drop it in and supports 750 plus hp and with rhe wiring harness is seperate deal but has a few pieces that you need like harness the correct post filter and the correct regulator for efi and the best part is OEM fitment

It's not cheap but it's a return style deal and it's quiet and has a foam cylinder barrier to keep fuel at the pick up point

Pump setup is intank per your post and the cost is 230 ish and regulator is 100.00 the wiring kit is premium deal and it's 100.00 andrhe fuel rails may just need a fitting or two to make it all come together

Maybe overkill but for a quiet return style non sump looking tank deal that supports 700 plus hp is money well spent and you can build on it

My opinion

Aeromotive part number 18638

Probably not what you wanted to do because of the cost but just thought I'd share

Quote Originally Posted by toddf View Post
    255 should be plenty, the 155 no way.
    Another thing you can do with your 255 is wiring it through a relay so the power comes straight from the battery, it helps at night for sure with lights on to keep the voltage up.

I ran a 190 through a relay with a 306 powerdyne 9lb edelbrock heads ported intake and always had good fuel pressure I had to run a bleeder valve on my FMU because I would get too much fuel pressure.
    OK, thanks. We had done the relay mod and new wiring for fuel pump quite a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry peachuer View Post
    Haven't used or done it but recently seen aeromotive foxbody drop in OEM tank it's called 340 stealth I believe

Uses stock tank drop it in and supports 750 plus hp and with rhe wiring harness is seperate deal but has a few pieces that you need like harness the correct post filter and the correct regulator for efi and the best part is OEM fitment

It's not cheap but it's a return style deal and it's quiet and has a foam cylinder barrier to keep fuel at the pick up point

Pump setup is intank per your post and the cost is 230 ish and regulator is 100.00 the wiring kit is premium deal and it's 100.00 andrhe fuel rails may just need a fitting or two to make it all come together

Maybe overkill but for a quiet return style non sump looking tank deal that supports 700 plus hp is money well spent and you can build on it

My opinion
    Thanks, will look into it. Have no problem spending a little coin, even if overkill sometimes.
    Why do you need a new regulator.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    OK, thanks. We had done the relay mod and new wiring for fuel pump quite a while back.

Thanks, will look into it. Have no problem spending a little coin, even if overkill sometimes.
    Why do you need a new regulator.
    I don't know if you do but I would imagine you need /want a return style with larger in/out no restrictions for street longevity

Any restriction fuel in /out filter or less than ideal wire sizing and not having a right size ground wiring size and mounting would induce heat and give less than ideal setup

Granted this is prob overkill but you do want it sorted and room for future performance upgrades
    Intank pump has pre filter and -8 in/out to bypass regulator and 10 micron filter

I'm carb so can't help with efi stuff but looking to do blow through setup and this
    Aeromotive kit is not only quiet but it is sorted by one of the best names in the industry

Granted a drop in upgrade would prob work for far less money but i seen this and it's not a racey sump look and being you have floor access this design fits OEM and you jump from 5/16 line size to 3/8 or 1/2 your choice
    and buy their made to suit harness it's a win win for the gauge size and relay requirement and the correct filtration and they make a fitting to filter for a gauge port to add a gauge at the filter and keep a gauge under your hood to monitor restrictions so you know when to change your filter by "seeing" psi differences at the filter and at the engine or however you choose to see fuel psi

I'm not trying to make this complicated just room to grow down the road years later

Say dad breaks 331 and now wants 363 with 15psi
    You are already fuel ready even if he wants to go alternative fuel

The return is ideal for few reason but most any other return with a hanger type setup is it will disturb fuel at the pick up point and this Aeromotive pick up has that sorted out with the foam feature and goes with same if you drive it hard fuel keeps from sloshing around

Similiar foam is in fuel cells for Arca Remax cars and dirt track roundy rounds when I was on a pit crew team we were at Charlotte speedway the tech guy wanted us to remove this foam so they can verify we didn't have a advantage to carry extra fuel at the speedway

this is how I know the foam is not NEW thing it's actually brilliant and it's well sorted

Another selling point is you can unhook whats there and sell car youre able to easilyhook it back up to factory setup pump/lines and leave your factory lines in there place just plug both ends if it's not eye sore for car show stuff
    New tank is 120-150 vs a trick 400.00 internal baffled tank sumped
    Just another option to consider good luck