Close

Default Vacuum question.

Do the FPR and the other vac pot on the fuel rail of a 4.6 dohc run straight off manifold vacuum? Or do they have vacuum reduction in line for one or both? I have one manifold port just behind the throttle body, and I think there are 2 more on the back of the manifold too. Near as I can find, that's all that's left to plumb on the vac system. Thanks!

Here’s how mine is plumbed. There is a small vacuum harness that does run off straight manifold vacuum.

Name:  img0057qlb.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  207.5 KB

The vacuum port near the throttle body can be used for vacuum tree for the body vacuum if needed. Or just capped off. Don’t forget about PCV valve
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

http://mark8.site/mark-viii-featured...chematics.html

just found this site, has some good stuff there for sure.

Also there is Lincolns of distinction, Lincoln vs Cadillac, and markviii.org for info
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

That's how I set mine up. PCV was all still in place. I'll have to check out those sites.

Rusty,
    Are you using the IMRCs or are you deleting them?

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Rusty,
    Are you using the IMRCs or are you deleting them?
    I hate to ask... What are IMRC's?

I did some precursory research. I know where they are now. I don't know why they exist, but seems like the type of thing I would delete, or at least disable. I did wonder what those levers were for. Seems like some tech that just isn't necessary.

Is this a naturally aspirated engine or will there be boost involved?

Do you know which of the Lincoln forums has the most activity?

B heads (swirl port heads) are tough for N/A.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouqet View Post
    Do you know which of the Lincoln forums has the most activity?
    What do you need to know? I can prob answer any questions you may have

B heads (swirl port heads) are tough for N/A.
    Why is that? I was just going with a basically factory motor configuration. Not that I even know what I have for heads, but I thought this motor was n/a from the factory.

What do you need to know? I can prob answer any questions you may have
    Still parts hunting.

Why is that? I was just going with a basically factory motor configuration. Not that I even know what I have for heads, but I thought this motor was n/a from the factory.
    Do you understand how the B heads and IMRCs work?

Do you understand how the B heads and IMRCs work?
    Never worked on one of theses before.

I looked into this a long time ago and decided to ditch the B heads in favor of C heads.

Added bonus- 99-01 Continentals came stock with adaptor plates that will adapt the intake you currently have to the B heads and you can also use your current cam covers with C heads

I looked into this a long time ago and decided to ditch the B heads in favor of C heads.

Added bonus- 99-01 Continentals came stock with adaptor plates that will adapt the intake you currently have to the B heads and you can also use your current cam covers with C heads
    Is that for performance plans? I have no plans to boost, or juice it. Just want the factory hp rating. Are imrc's that big a deal to delete? Or just lock in the full open position? I know it sounds dumb (and in hind site maybe it was), but I traded my daily for this thing. I'm on the bus till I get it streetable again. So for now, I'm trying to avoid getting sucked in to the mod game...

Never worked on one of theses before.
    Ouch.

B heads (swirl port heads) use 2 intake valves per cylinder like regular 4v stuff.
    But B heads have primary and secondary intake valves.
    Under 3000 RPM, only 1 primary intake valve per cylinder is used and this is routed through the longer runners in your intake to promote low end torque. The secondary intake valve still opens and closes but the IMRC butterflies block off the secondary intake valves from intake air and fuel spray, making them basically non existent.

At 3000 RPM, the ECM tells the IMRC butterflies to open, (whether by vacuum or cables) and then the butterflies open and the secondary intake valves becomes unshrouded and then sends the intake air and fuel spray to the shorter runners on your intake manifold to promote top end HP.
    Ford did similar things on a bunch of different platforms to try and maximize power down low and also up high.
    The FR500 intake is the pinnacle of this technology IMHO.
    Last edited by massacre; 04-25-2020 at 10:18 PM.

Is that for performance plans? I have no plans to boost, or juice it. Just want the factory hp rating. Are imrc's that big a deal to delete? Or just lock in the full open position? I know it sounds dumb (and in hind site maybe it was), but I traded my daily for this thing. I'm on the bus till I get it streetable again. So for now, I'm trying to avoid getting sucked in to the mod game...
    In your current situation, you can lock them open and get it running.

Where are you located?

IMRC delete plates are a couple hundred bucks.
    Not sure if that fits your budget or not.
    But it will save some headaches
    Last edited by massacre; 04-25-2020 at 10:33 PM.

Just spent a few hours reading up on the dohc motor's head options, so I'm an expert now! I get the whole b head imrc's thing now, with the dual intake ports (weird!). You're right. At some point I'll likely swap for some c heads. I'm not sure I really even want to delete or disable the imrc's now. I may try to get the vacuum activated actuators, and run those till I can swap the heads, to keep my mid range power. And get off the damn bus as soon as possible! I'm in Portland Oregon.

The B head arrangement is definitely a strange design for sure.