Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Passenger Side Mirror 79 Zephyr

So when I bought my car it did not have a passenger side mirror.
    Even though my car is not required to have a pass side mirror, I would like to have one for safety.
    So I saw one for sale and bought it. Figured it would install easily.
    Nope.
    There is nothing there to bolt the mirror to.
    So I removed the cover on the driver’s side and immediately saw the difference between the two doors. There is a bracket that is missing from the pass door which is why there is nothing there to bolt it to.

So I guess my question is, do I need a different door?
    i can fabricate my own bracket and tack it into the window frame. And drill the holes and mount the mirror. But it seems when you crank up the window, the glass wants to come up behind where the mirror mounts. So no dice there.
    Seems like the window glass would have to be cut differently between with mirror/without mirror.
    Can I just replace that window glass with one from a car with a passenger side mirror? And would any certain year Mustang window fit?
    I haven’t got into my doors too much yet only to look inside and make sure they are good shape rust wise.

Thanks for any help
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Yes it does require a different door. Possibly a skilled body technician could "add it" if you could get one to attempt it.

BTW, I just installed a 4R70W into my 84' LTD wagon, I see you have that swap planned so figured I'd let you know that you'll need a stiffler's transmission crossmember to fit it.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr Z7 w/87' 5.0/C4 EFI intercooled twin turbo power

1984 Ford LTD wagon w/87' 5.0/4R70W EFI nitrous outlet X-series

There is a fine line between a hobby ...and mental illness.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenK View Post
    Yes it does require a different door. Possibly a skilled body technician could "add it" if you could get one to attempt it.

BTW, I just installed a 4R70W into my 84' LTD wagon, I see you have that swap planned so figured I'd let you know that you'll need a stiffler's transmission crossmember to fit it.
    Awesome, thanks!
    I may attempt to add it myself.
    I already have the Stifflers X member. Thanks for the heads up
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

awesome, it was an extra $166 during my install that I wasn't prepared for.

FEP Senior Member

What are you controlling the transmission with?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    A Mark8 ECU and harness

awesome, it was an extra $166 during my install that I wasn't prepared for.
    Did you have to move the brackets?

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    A Mark8 ECU and harness
    That is the way to go. I was curious what Darren was running since I am assuming he is running a standalone controller.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP Member

So when I bought my car it did not have a passenger side mirror.
    Figured it would install easily.
    Yep - me too

Anyway that didn't stop me...

I have an '81 wagon but I think they're all the same. Unless it has a little swing-out vent window, then all bets are off.

The details are somewhat shrouded in the fog of time, so forgive me if not all of this makes sense! It has been some years since I did this.

I also bought the mirror first, then discovered there were more parts needed. I'll list them, then see if I can describe how they went together:

- A new side window.

- a bracket to hold the mirror, shaped like a small triangle

- a mirror cover for inside the car and to hold the little adjustment knob

- a different aluminum trim strip, shorter than the non-mirror strip, and flattened a bit to let it slip under the mirror

I used the original door. I got the rest of the parts from a junk yard.

The side window has a triangular piece missing so that it misses the mirror bracket.

The mirror bracket had holes (I think two or maybe three) to fasten it to the door. Interestingly there were dimples already present in the door to indicate where the self-tapping screws would go. No holes, just dimples.

The process took quite a while and went something like this (don't forget years have gone by):

- Remove the door panel and the aluminum trim on the bottom of the window opening.

- Remove the existing glass. Lots of fun.

- Install the mirror bracket.

- Re-shape the window channel around the new bracket. Maybe trim a little off to make it fit?

- Install the replacement glass. Way more fun.

- Install the mirror and the inside cover.

- See if it all works. If so, celebrate. If not troubleshoot.

All I have are photos showing the end result. I'm sure you are a fine fellow, but I'm not taking the door back apart for you to show the inside

Name:  ZephyrMirror1web.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  109.5 KBName:  ZephyrMirror2web.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  257.1 KBName:  ZephyrMirror3web.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  180.3 KBName:  ZephyrMirror4web.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  144.1 KB
    Hope this helps,

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Wells; 05-03-2020 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wells View Post
    Yep - me too

Anyway that didn't stop me...

I have an '81 wagon but I think they're all the same. Unless it has a little swing-out vent window, then all bets are off.

The details are somewhat shrouded in the fog of time, so forgive me if not all of this makes sense! It has been some years since I did this.

I also bought the mirror first, then discovered there were more parts needed. I'll list them, then see if I can describe how they went together:

- A new side window.

- a bracket to hold the mirror, shaped like a small triangle

- a mirror cover for inside the car and to hold the little adjustment knob

- a different aluminum trim strip, shorter than the non-mirror strip, and flattened a bit to let it slip under the mirror

I used the original door. I got the rest of the parts from a junk yard.

The side window has a triangular piece missing so that it misses the mirror bracket.

The mirror bracket had holes (I think two or maybe three) to fasten it to the door. Interestingly there were dimples already present in the door to indicate where the self-tapping screws would go. No holes, just dimples.

The process took quite a while and went something like this (don't forget years have gone by):

- Remove the door panel and the aluminum trim on the bottom of the window opening.

- Remove the existing glass. Lots of fun.

- Install the mirror bracket.

- Re-shape the window channel around the new bracket. Maybe trim a little off to make it fit?

- Install the replacement glass. Way more fun.

- Install the mirror and the inside cover.

- See if it all works. If so, celebrate. If not troubleshoot.

All I have are photos showing the end result. I'm sure you are a fine fellow, but I'm not taking the door back apart for you to show the inside

Name:  ZephyrMirror1web.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  109.5 KBName:  ZephyrMirror2web.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  257.1 KBName:  ZephyrMirror3web.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  180.3 KBName:  ZephyrMirror4web.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  144.1 KB
    Hope this helps,

Tom

Thank you so much Tom for all of your help! It is much appreciated!

hahahaha no need to remove anything at all, your pictures showed it perfectly!
    And you even have the fancy adjustable mirrors.

Thank you for confirming that a new pass side window will need to be installed. I won’t be able to find anything like that in any junkyards around here.
    I was thinking I might be able to make the mounting bracket, by mimicking the bracket on the drivers side? It just looks like some small channel, pretty simple just like you describe.
    I am going to be replacing the run channel soon anyways, so if I can drill a couple holes and make a bracket, find the proper glass, that should mostly square that door away which would be nice.

Again thanks for your helpful description and pics. Very helpful.
    Last edited by massacre; 05-03-2020 at 04:27 PM.

FEP Member

mass,

You're welcome!

Be sure to note the driver's door is a mirror image (no pun intended) of the passenger side. The little covers are left and right as well.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wells View Post
    mass,

You're welcome!

Be sure to note the driver's door is a mirror image (no pun intended) of the passenger side. The little covers are left and right as well.

Tom
    Gotcha
    Thanks! I’ll need to get one of those covers as well, and thanks for letting me know they are side specific!
    Do you know if the Mustang covers will work?
    Thanks
    Last edited by massacre; 05-03-2020 at 04:49 PM.

FEP Member

Gotcha
    Do you know if the Mustang covers will work?
    Thanks
    Sorry - don't recall. If I had to guess, I'd say probably not.

Reason I ask is because I saw these

https://www.cjponyparts.com/interior...1986/p/HW2106/

they do look the same but you know how that goes lol
    everything looks like it will fit perfect- on the internet
    but when you get it in your hands it’s another story.

i guess it wouldn’t be to hard to make a cover, it’s basically a triangle.

Thanks again for your help on this, i really appreciate it!
    I have maybe found the correct window glass, and I’m pretty sure I can make a bracket for the door to mount the mirror. I would really lIke to install the mirror, it’s just such a weird way to do it

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    USShift.com

Did you have to move the brackets?
    nope the stifflers piece has plenty of adjustment.

nope the stifflers piece has plenty of adjustment.
    Awesome, thanks!
    I’m going to call a glass place and see if they can get me the correct window.

Does anyone have dimensions on a Mustang window with pass side mirror?
    Around here I can find a used Mustang window since it is made of glass and therefore rustproof lmao.
    Just wondering if the Mustang and Zephyr window glass is different, and I bet it is but just wanted to double check

thanks for any help
    Last edited by massacre; 05-10-2020 at 10:12 PM.

I know the regulators are different, I found out the hard way.

USShift.com
    Excellent! USShift's first AOD-E development car was a '79 Zephyr with an EFI 5.0 / AOD-E combo. They are no stranger to these non-Mustang Foxbodies!

Man I have been looking for that passenger side trim piece that goes from the mirror to the B pillar.
    no luck so far

If it was me, I'd just get some '60s style sport mirrors and put those on. Seems like it would be way easier. And if you wanted, you could delete the mirror bracket from the driver's door eventually.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    If it was me, I'd just get some '60s style sport mirrors and put those on. Seems like it would be way easier. And if you wanted, you could delete the mirror bracket from the driver's door eventually.
    I was wondering if I could mount a mirror where the antenna used to be?

I’ll look up those sport mirrors, thanks for the advice!

There you go, maybe some 240Z style mirrors would look good up on the fenders in the antenna spot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    There you go, maybe some 240Z style mirrors would look good up on the fenders in the antenna spot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Well I would have to keep the stock driver mirror since the window glass is cut different.
    I’m not opposed to running 2 different mirrors

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Man I have been looking for that passenger side trim piece that goes from the mirror to the B pillar.
    no luck so far
    I assume that piece is shorter on cars that have a passenger mirror. Could you get a replacement full-length (non-mirror) piece and trim it shorter to fit with the mirror? Or does the trim piece attach differently so that method wouldn't work?
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast