Close

Default 79 gas tank sending unit

Dont see a listing for the 79 cars but I do see them for the 80-81. Can I use this sending unit? It looks identical from the outside.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

They do look similar except mine has a second pipe for the return line from fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    They do look similar except mine has a second pipe for the return line from fuel pump.
    My 79 has the single nipple. Looks like it's a newer tank so not exactly sure it's a tank from a 79. Gas guage worked before I pulled the gas tank and had it off for a few months. All back together after the irs install and its suddenly not working.

I have a 79 Zephyr with original sending unit. I hope to be dropping that tank tomorrow and I have no use for the sending unit.
    you can have it for shipping, I can test it out beforehand to make sure it works. It has the single nipple.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    I have a 79 Zephyr with original sending unit. I hope to be dropping that tank tomorrow and I have no use for the sending unit.
    you can have it for shipping, I can test it out beforehand to make sure it works. It has the single nipple.
    I'll send you a pm.

PM received
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Massacres doesnt work. Does anyone know if the listing for the sending units for the 80-81 built before 4/81 will work????

The tank changed its level sensor when its volume went up from 12.4 US gallons to the bigger 15.4.

Very important to know there was a long range 12.4 US gal fuel tank with the bigger engines

So you should be okay with the pre 4/81 2.8/2.3 turbo/ 4.2 or 5.0 with a single, non return line. The 2.3 turbo had a return, so did the 2.3 11.5 gal tank.

Just block off the return line tube. But you need the common 12.4 gal tank sensor.

FEP Power Member

79 Mustang
    4 cyl w/ac D9zz-9275-d
    4 cyl w/o ac D9zz-9275-f
    6 & 8 cyl D9zz-9275-c

The Ford books run 73-79 and 80-89. Will have to look up 80/81 seperately.
    Last edited by KevinK; 04-23-2020 at 04:06 PM.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    The tank changed its level sensor when its volume went up from 12.4 US gallons to the bigger 15.4.

Very important to know there was a long range 12.4 US gal fuel tank with the bigger engines

So you should be okay with the pre 4/81 2.8/2.3 turbo/ 5.0 with a single, non return line. The 2.3 turbo had a return, so did the 2.3 11.5 gal tank.

Just block off the return line tube. But you need the common 12.4 gal tank sensor.
    Awesome. That's the one I'll grab.

I was able to get my original sender assembly out of the tank pretty easily as I was spraying it up beforehand. Lock ring came off perfect.
    the fuel level sender shows resistance, so it’s not open or broken. But it does have some corrosion and I think that was the issue.
    i say “was” because i discovered that the wiper is cracked. So I guess I could solder the wiper back together and see if it works.
    might make a good project for a rainy day

Here is mine, from a 79 wagon with 302. I'm in need of a replacement if anyone knows the part # or were to get it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by endub View Post
    Here is mine, from a 79 wagon with 302. I'm in need of a replacement if anyone knows the part # or were to get it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    I'll let you know if the one I ordered works or not.

My brother bought a new one for his 81 inline six. It was used maybe 10 min max. I have it with the box in my for sale post.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
    -Currently Searching for "The One"

The 80-81 sending unit is what I ordered and it worked. But it doesn't show a completely full tank. Goes to about 7/8 full. Unit it took out seemed identical. I'll live with the minor issue. Probably the only thing on this car that went as planned. Even that is not really 100%.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Good to know the later year fits a 79 tank physically and gauge works.
    Odd to read 7/8 max.

The float arm may be a tiny bit off on the bend angle?. Miss calibrated at factory?
    12.5 sending unit with a 15 gal arm? 15 gal sendor with 12 gal arm? Miss boxed?
    Did a fillup trip the gas pump nozzle, but gauge reads 7/8?
    Can arm be moved to read full somehow? Park car on steep hill if available? Jack it up?

Always been. Old model year car fuel gauges reading off by a few gal when new.
    One of the first items noted when owning a new car. Part of its personality.

Things like:
    -Sure runs a long time before moving off full.
    -On this car, if it shows empty, it is. Found out running out of gas more than once.
    -Shows empty but can go another 50 miles. Found out looking for cheap gas.
    -1/2 tank on gauge means its 2/3 empty. Found out doing fill ups to check fuel economy.

@gr79 trip to the gas station to top off tank left me at the 7/8 mark. The last sending unit did go to full.

If I wasn't by myself I would have checked the float before I put it all back together.

I'm not exactly sure its an original tank, but the sending unit was certainly rusty enough that I know that was.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Default added tidbits for the record

When going were most have not gone before.

Add another 79 fuel sender assy part number to the KevinK list.
    1979 2.3T no a/c with fuel return 12.5 gal tank D9ZE-9275-DB
    Name:  fuel tank parts (2) 3030.JPG
Views: 179
Size:  50.1 KB

Notes:
    On this car model, the float pivot is at right angles to center line of car.
    Fuel gauge reading goes down about a gallon on a left turn, up the same on a right turn, then settles back in a minute.
    1/4 tank is about 2.5 gal, average of 50 miles per 1/4 tank since new. Pegs the F when full. Fuel light on at just below 1/4 tank.
    12.5g -10g = 2.5. The 2.5g seems to be split above F or below E, less so below E (reserve) say 2 above F and 1/2 gal reserve.

Every now and then, the IVR messes with all the gauge readings for a few minutes while driving. The norm.

I remembered this stuff when replacing the tank. Wondering if the new tank was shaped exactly the same as the old one. It is.

Before sending unit was removed to replace the tank, sender plate was indexed to the tank. Marked the clocking.
    To keep the float arc path the same way as in the old tank.
    Concern was the float could wind up lower or higher. Wanted the gauge to read pretty close to how it did with the old tank.
    Did not know there were slots at the tank hole that indexed the sender and float assy.

Read there may be a calibration set screw at the arm attachment to sender.
    https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-1-2-tank.html

Locating tabs on sender assy
    Name:  fuel tank parts arrow (3) 3030.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  55.0 KB

Matching index slots on tank
    Name:  fuel tank parts tank sender slots 3030.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  45.8 KB

79 Mustang 12.5 gal tank sender assy. Cleaned it up and reinstalled into new tank. Everything is working fine as before.
    Flipped photo to compare to the 80-81 sender diagram (and 'photoshopped' my old shoes out of this pic ).
    Name:  fuel tank parts (5) no shoes 3030 180.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  85.6 KB

FEP Supporter

I just got to this point in a 79 project and thought I'd put this into evidence. This is a 79 5.0, no return line.

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Looks to be the original sending unit and still works. I wonder what the yellow band signifies?

https://s1337.photobucket.com/user/8...gzalg.jpg.html

The inside of the tank is quite immaculate. No visible signs of rust, sediment or other issues.

https://s1337.photobucket.com/user/8...ifc1a.jpg.html

Yellow colored band looks like a production code.
    Verification would be from another fuel tank assy, same exact app, also having the yellow band.
    The id to match the correct tube to the correct sending unit. Or to ID the correct sending unit period. Or both.

Reason to assume it is a production code:
    A color band. Too neat, extra durable and visible, to be an added QC mark. QC uses colored paint marker pens.
    Back on the FT engine line, all the 360 V8's had yellow paint striped valve springs.

If not obvious, most all assy line parts are color coded or have some kind of a color id for fast and accurate pick during assy.
    Usually at a workstation with multiple choices of parts per build sheet. Color id can be found even with only one choice.
    If required, specific colors are added prior by someone who makes the part and knows the whole deal with them.
    Colors for the assy line dummies like me. Part of workstation shuffles. Or for when mental numbness sets in.
    Boss- "Go there and install senders today. 'X' will show you what to do. Make certain to follow the color code chart".

Plus parts can be easily sorted by color if mixed up somehow. Other sorting is done by shape, etc. Happens all the time.
    No part number was stamped on tubes like that back then. Nowadays, that could be laser etched if required.
    Visuals with no markings don't always work to select a correct part among several types, especially if visually similar.
    Color marked parts simply and easily stand out visually. The 360 valve springs. One look. All correct for engine.
    No time to read any dam part numbers on the line. Pick by color is way faster. Same for doing QC checks.