Close

Default 79-82 double din

Has anyone made a radio setup that uses a new GPS radio double din. One that goes over the cigarette lighter and the ashtray. Not worried about covering up the car light display.
    Would extend down to right before the shifter. I may have plenty of room to reposition the car light display.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If only did not have to cut anything. Looks so doable and tempting.
    Now to find one for 20.00 and study it.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...41#post1922341

Last edited by gr79; 04-22-2020 at 03:26 PM.

see http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-screen-radios

talk to erratic50

The above radio looks like it could almost mount like the stock fox setup, but probably needs the Chrysler 2 inch spacer to clear it out some.

Quote Originally Posted by retro25 View Post
    here is a pic of the fold down screen from the side.

sorry for the delay, better late than never......

I'm really leaning towards the 87 up console grafting. That will give me cup holders and plenty to work with for the double din. I could also relocate the car light thingy.

Page 29 and ending 30, post #729 of 1985 Mustang Saleen (clone?)

1/2" spacer, upward display. NZ503 Clarion

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Well, the weekend didn't go as planned, but what else is new RIGHT!

I was able to get the dash into some final primer before the final "blocking" although really tough to block sand this areas, but wanted make sure it was as straight and smooth as possible.

I allowed that to cure for a couple of days, then I sanded it all down one last time to be sure. Then I picked up some "scrap" leather at Hobby Lobby that looked similar in texture to the stock dash texture. I sprayed one medium coat of primer on the dash area and then pressed the piece of leather into the tacky primer. This gave just a slight amount of texture to the surface and helped to blend everything together. Then I allowed that to dry completely. I lightly scuffed the area once again with a grey Scotchbrite and sprayed the grey color in several light coats. Apparently I forgot to take pictures of these steps, so . . . .

Well here is the final product being installed and wired up before the dash goes back into the car.

The one with the screen going downward looks really do-able

Trey did a combo of an Aero console and a four eyed dash a while back. Its in his 82's build thread if I remember right. Now granted -- its about as much custom work as it was for Trey to make my 1 DIN fold out radio fit propertly in a four eyed dash. He did a much nicer job of it than I would have ...... I would have probably stacked the spacers and mounted them then lived with the ugly until I got fed up and ripped it back out.

If you do the combined dashes, you can switch to the more common Aero heat controls and move them down to the bottom of the stack. That makes room for a nice big double din NAV unit.

The next thing is to customize the air vent locations and gauge layout to properly fill in the empty spot in the dash where the controls were before.

The other option of course is to leave the heat controls where they are and fill the space with other nice to have's. A CD changer or a cut down gaming console.

I think I'd go for some form of small computer so I can use it for a media server and of course also run PC games or -- better yet -- old period Atari or C64 games on an emulator that uses the inputs on the NAV screen.

Or heck - why not put the information center and clock in that space and make it look factory. Imagine the puzzled looks.

For my car it does seem sorta odd to have that much tech in the dash and a carb on top the motor. I probably should have went towards EFI but hey -- I haven't had a car with a carb on it since I was 17 so I'm doing it the "correct" way for nostalga purposes.
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-22-2020 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Page 29 and ending 30, post #729 of 1985 Mustang Saleen (clone?)

1/2" spacer, upward display. NZ503 Clarion
    That wouldnt be bad at all. Popping up will put it a lot closer to eye level.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    The one with the screen going downward looks really do-able

Trey did a combo of an Aero console and a four eyed dash a while back. Its in his 82's build thread if I remember right. Now granted -- its about as much custom work as it was for Trey to make my 1 DIN fold out radio fit propertly in a four eyed dash. He did a much nicer job of it than I would have ...... I would have probably stacked the spacers and mounted them then lived with the ugly until I got fed up and ripped it back out.

If you do the combined dashes, you can switch to the more common Aero heat controls and move them down to the bottom of the stack. That makes room for a nice big double din NAV unit.

The next thing is to customize the air vent locations and gauge layout to properly fill in the empty spot in the dash where the controls were before.

The other option of course is to leave the heat controls where they are and fill the space with other nice to have's. A CD changer or a cut down gaming console.

I think I'd go for some form of small computer so I can use it for a media server and of course also run PC games or -- better yet -- old period Atari or C64 games on an emulator that uses the inputs on the NAV screen.

Or heck - why not put the information center and clock in that space and make it look factory. Imagine the puzzled looks.

For my car it does seem sorta odd to have that much tech in the dash and a carb on top the motor. I probably should have went towards EFI but hey -- I haven't had a car with a carb on it since I was 17 so I'm doing it the "correct" way for nostalga purposes.
    Doing the aero blend gives me a ton of options. I'll leave the heater controls where they are. A phone charger pad would be slick. Then I can get my cup holders just move the e brake handle.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post

Say now... that would have been a great solution to my floor clearance issue I had with a full double din stereo in my aero console... too late now though, I need the space below for gauges.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Looking into something like this if you are looking for a screen?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-in...?skuId=6386394

Also, alpine has a version