Close

Default Question About Column Shifter

Hello,
    My car was a 6cyl automatic. I was wanting to keep the column shifter for my 4r70w, but instead of the shifter cable going to the column like the cable that is in the trans now, the Zephyr has long shifter shaft that runs parallel to steering shaft. Also the linkage seems to be mounted to the K member. My car came with no shift linkage or cable so I知 just guessing lol

i have a tubular K member, so nowhere to mount stock linkage.
    Has anyone ever found a way to make this work? Or am I better off going with a floor shifter? Is it easy to remove the shift lever from the column? It looks like it would be a pain in the ass.

Thanks for any info/advice
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

You'd have to fully dismantle the column. Most people just remove the handle, which is commonly held in place by a roll pin. The problem with column shift is they don't always have the necessary range of motion to line up with the shift detents, especially when you're running an OD trans on a 3 speed column.

Most people convert to a floor shifter and bucket seats with a console. If you pick the right one, you could even add a few creature comforts like cup holders.

Thanks for the helpful replies!

i was kinda hoping I could keep the column shifter but I see now that it’s prob not going to happen.
    the column is out of the car and I’ll prob just end up removing the handle like was mentioned. I did have some concerns about the shifter detents also.
    my buddy has a 78 fairmont that is also an auto, and he is going to a t56 so I am going to get his stock parts and see if I can make something happen but it does not look hopeful.

I want to keep the bench seats so I might try and make a floor shifter work with those. But that too may not work so might be going to buckets.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Hopefully you'll get somewhere with the stock parts. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Hopefully you'll get somewhere with the stock parts. Good luck!
    Thanks!
    I have a mark8 floor shifter and cable somewhere, I have a feeling that is what I will end up doing.
    the mark8 shifter came with the 4r70w so I know it will fit and work correctly. Fox has a small hole and grommet on the drivers side of trans tunnel, hopefully I can run the cable under the carpet and not have to drill holes in the tunnel for the cable.
    The steering shaft grommet on my car has 2 holes in it, sounds like I will either have to find one with 1 hole or plug that second hole somehow.
    I thought the grommets were not available to buy new.

i think I can position the auto floor shifter so it will work with the bench seat. I mean is is an auto and not like I have a manual valve body or anything so not like I値l be shifting the whole time I am driving like a manual. I do have a crown Vic trans cable as well but that thing is really long but who knows that might work too lol
    Last edited by massacre; 04-22-2020 at 05:25 PM.

FEP Senior Member

Do a google search for "column shift 4R70W" and you'll find some results from a Bronco forum where a bunch of guys have converted their C4 column shift to work with the 4R70W. Lokar makes a kit, Ididit makes a kit (but I think it might require one of their columns). Some guys were able to make some stock parts (Explorer/Mountaineer) work. I think it should be totally doable. I didn't feel like registering on the Bronco forum to see the pictures, but you should be able to see what they did if you do.

Kind of some more info: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...hifter-and-AOD
    Last edited by KevinVarnes; 04-22-2020 at 08:11 PM.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    Do a google search for "column shift 4R70W" and you'll find some results from a Bronco forum where a bunch of guys have converted their C4 column shift to work with the 4R70W. Lokar makes a kit, Ididit makes a kit (but I think it might require one of their columns). Some guys were able to make some stock parts (Explorer/Mountaineer) work. I think it should be totally doable. I didn't feel like registering on the Bronco forum to see the pictures, but you should be able to see what they did if you do.
    Thank you very much for your helpful reply! I will check into that.
    Much appreciated!

Just to update this thread -
    I removed the column shifter shaft from the column. Going with a Lokar floor mounted shifter, no console. Pulled the bench seat out in favor of buckets.
    The Lokar comes with a cable, brackets, and a new shifter shaft and shifter arm. Should take care of my shifter situation

Was going to recommend maybe a column out of an 85/86 ltd would work but I like the lokar idea. Have one of their shifters in my old ram and love it
    83 GT Turbo

The Lokar stuff is $$$ but it really is quality stuff.
    I知 hoping it will solve a lot of issues.
    Last edited by massacre; 05-25-2021 at 09:11 PM.

I was pulling for the floor shifter/bench seat setup.
    My 69 Torino GT had a 4 speed top loader floor shift with bench seat.
    It was an interesting setup. One of 3 cars i've had with a bench.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A