Close

Default Door Panel backing - VIN ID

Sorry if this is already a well known fact, it's new to me. In pulling my door panel off, I discovered that the last 6 digits of my VIN are written on the back side. This is on my '84 GT350 convertible. Thought it was cool.

FEP Supporter

That's cool. Makes you wonder what the story is behind it

When cking my interior parts I notice a R which looks like it was done by hand along with the factory stampings. Lh side the same. Was this done at factory?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

when checking my interior parts I notice a R which looks like it was done by hand along with the factory stampings. Lh side the same. Was this done at factory?
    Probably scratched in the mold for the panel when it was made.
    Mike
    Last edited by JKengineering; 04-22-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    85 GT - owned since 87

Smile

The vin on the panel is interesting. Worked on assy lines, did material handling, been in DAP multiple times.
    Never came across anything like that, nor was instructed to do so. Graffiti was frowned upon.
    Looks official, not a random idea. Or maybe it was a one timer.

Only numbers. No prefex. I lean toward it marked at DAP or maybe C&C. Short ID, not a long formal one with name or something.
    84 convertibles were made at DAP and finished off site at Cars & Concepts.
    Odd it was marked as if to be recorded or rematched to specific car for some reason.
    Wonder if passenger or other panels are marked too.

Scenareo at DAP?
    "A small area of the big Dearborn plant was set aside for turning notchbacks into convertibles. As C/D's Michael Jordan related, this involved removing the roof; reinforcing the windshield pillars and cowl/dashboard area; substituting stiffer rear-quarter panels; and adding side members (just above the rockers), a thicker taillight panel, and a stiffening crossmember between the rear wheel arches. Mustang was engineered in-house and mostly built at the factory. Only top installation was farmed out, Ford tapping Cars & Concepts of Brighton, Michigan".

Panels would be installed as normal at workstations. No concern what happens later to car. Move on to next one.
    Maybe they changed the door out later. Reinstalled panel. But if panel was near car, no real reason to mark it.

At DAP, VIN anything before the 6 numbers would be nearly the same. Only last 6 done for speedy id? Following procedure?
    Looks to be marked by someone who could write fast (the connected 5-6). Someone that did this all the time?
    All panels may have been removed and piled up safely in another area to eliminate damage during convertible conversion work.

Or removed for some kind of repair at DAP in the repair area and carried away from car. Window switch, electric window, defect.
    Would not be scrapped at this point if rework was minor. Vin mark means intended to be reinstalled in same or certain car.
    Panel would be scrapped if defective, torn or broken in plant. Repairs were done in service bays after final line.

Marking the vin usually means something special, as does the red color. QC is fussy with color use. Then again, maybe not.
    As if they temp ran out of red panels and someone had numbers recorded to catch up to car later.
    As if to get one from delayed fresh shipment at the workstation or dock and take it to car service bay.
    Line worker marked vin on paper, given to someone like sub assembler or material handler of the panels.
    Panel arrived. Numbers were transferred to panel by worker when it arrived. Red meant hot job?
    Someone would take it to car parked in a service bay. Walk or ride.
    Red panel. Look for car with red interior. Then match vin. Drop it off, move on.

Maybe a body shop did it. As not to get misplaced. Sent out for repair. Match number later with r/o.
    In dealer service bays, no reason to mark any id. Repairs done at bay close by or in car. New panel would come in a box.

If your car is a ttop car or convertable, I bet C+C did it to make sure the right panels when back into the right car. There was support pieces riveted to the doors.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
    -Currently Searching for "The One"

Thanks for all the insight! That's cool that is not a typically common thing. Yes, mine is a convertible. A GT350 to be specific.