Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default California Smog requirements for our cars 1980ies

Does anyone know what the HC (ppm) and CO% Max requirements were for our cars in the 1980ies in California? I looked around and couldn't find any references.
    Last edited by Hemlock; 04-20-2020 at 02:49 PM.
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

I had my 86 smoged a few months ago.. it needed 4 new cats but id blowing like a new car. I have the print out of the results and it has the max and min
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

I just "smogged" mine and I am thinking that the HC (ppm) and CO% max numbers are quite a bit less this year then they were 2 years ago when I last tested. I was just wondering if anyone had the pass numbers for our cars when they were newer? Basically I wanted to know if they are lowering the max test numbers and making it harder for our cars to pass smog. Does anyone have an old smog sheet from a few years back to see what the older max numbers were?
    Last edited by Hemlock; 04-20-2020 at 07:25 PM.
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

FEP Power Member

Each year has different specs and it probably varies by engine. You have CA specs and 48 state federal specs. My smog guy tells me if the emissions label is missing from a CA vehicle, it gets tested as a 48 state spec. I heard the specs have been changing but I have not seen it and only have 1 car since new.

I recall seeing a sticker on the window of my 84. I will have to go check it out.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FEP Power Member

Each year has different specs and it probably varies by engine. You have CA specs and 48 state federal specs. My smog guy tells me if the emissions label is missing from a CA vehicle, it gets tested as a 48 state spec. I heard the specs have been changing but I have not seen it and only have 1 car since new.

I recall seeing a sticker on the window of my 84. I will have to go check it out. Ok, it seems to be by vehicle weight.

Added the sticker and current test results.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by KevinK; 04-21-2020 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Are those numbers for a V8 car?

My RS in Action

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post

Yes, the CA 1984 Standard was the same for every Passenger car.

The KevinK's 1984 turbo SVO, the Max criteria in each three gases is the same. Your car will be assessed by the same standard.

Its the window sticker, with an algeraic loaded correction factor.

However, the Stanadrd Max Passing criteria for large urban areas in California, requires that vehicles must additionally pass more stringent ASM5015 and ASM2525 loaded mode enhanced I/M HC, CO and NOx standards.

The enhanced I/M tests use the BAR97 analyzer to measure HC, CO and NOx emissions.

The enhanced I/M HC, CO and NOx standards are calculated for each vehicle based on the emission standards category, vehicle type (including GVWR for trucks) and vehicle test weight which is defined as the curb weight plus 300 lbs.

For Passenger Cars, the I/M HC standard is 100/130,

for LDT Category 1, the I/M HC standard is 100/170.

The algebraic conversion figures are:-

As an asside note,

For NAVYCAT , the age of the car allows the standard 1986 model year passenger car reg's to be used after they are converted to the enhanced IM test, with that Max tolerance applied.

Alternatively, BAR can force the adoption of the donated 1995 engines emission standard, and have the Enhanced IM test applied against the donated engines historic 1995 requirements. The IM history is then against the original engines VIN and chassis number.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    Both were from my 84 GT Turbo. My 84 SVO was a NJ (Federal) emission car. 4/6/8 cyl. would all be the same weight class and have the same emission spec. The 4 cyl. EFI is so much easier to pass as it was very hi-tech for its time.

On my Test today for my H.O. 5.0 V8 the HC max was 128 @ 15mph and 103 @ 25 mph The CO% max @ 15mph is .80 and .60 @ 25mph, pretty sure it had a much higher allowance last time I smogged my car.

My RS in Action

My engine is out of a 94 GT and has all the emissions of the 94 GT I told him it was the original motor, after 4 new cats and O2 sensors it passed with flying colors
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

For 1986 here are the published CARB standards:

Mustang CARB 1986 copy.pdf

But the problem is that here in California the testing levels have risen and are even stricter. they also pressurize the gas tank to check for leaking fuel vapors
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

FEP Power Member

I stumbled upon some old smog data on my car from 2011. Yes, the max numbers for HC and CO have been reduced. I added the 2011 report to the above post.

Don't wanyt to Hijack but I am so glad we have more trees then people and no smog requirements! Car has headers and 2 1/2 system out the back with no cats. It gets driven 100 - 500 miles a year. I'm still on the first tank of the year. I know its not "Clean" but....

Wonder what Ca would test the Model A?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post

I recall seeing a sticker on the window of my 84. I will have to go check it out. Ok, it seems to be by vehicle weight.

I have that California smog window sticker on my 84 because it was a California car, but the sticker is badly faded. i been trying to get a repro but nobody makes one. Is there any companies that can make one per special order?

Also a point of curiosity for me, my car came out of LA in 2014. its in NY now. Originally my car had a single exhaust with 1 cat. I upgraded to a dual exhaust but its got stock shorty headers, an H pipe and the original 4 cats from an 86.

I had the exhaust shop hollow out the front cats. The smog pump functions and feeds air to the rear cats. The original setup had exhaust manifolds with heat stoves that sent hot air up flex tubes into the air cleaner snorkels. With the shorty headers I could not reuse the heat stoves so I had the machine shop custom make pipe with a curved cut out that i was able to clamp to the headers with a hose clamp so it still sort of sends hot air up the flex tubes to the snorkels.

Apart from that I have a pair of hi performance Magnaflows and 2 1/2 inch tail pipes.
    I cant help wondering if my car would actually pass a Cali smog test if it were administered to the car as is now. All sensors and smog/emissions equipment functions and the car has no codes.

Pre Clean Air Act cars are exempt. There are other rolling loopholes. Basically its all easy going as long as you dont go crazy on cam exhaust duration, compression and chamber mods. The technicalities are pistons, head castings, intake manifolds etc, even gear ratios although none but a zealot would care.

The solution is later model GT40p alloy Y303 casting heads painted in Dulon with the Thermactor ports pilot drilled through. Thats a huge reduction in the two speed IM test HC's. The other is ignition advance just has to show 9 degrees, not actually be so.

The way it works is that a pre OBDI car with no malfunction indicator lamp is gonna be dirty detailed. Ford eliminated AIR on layer EFi engines and those heads make great additions. The other is four corner idling the carb, and doing the transition slot modifications gr79 and WalkingTall do on there Holley carbs. This allows yoi to lean off the air fuel ratios to close to stoich.

Down here we have some emissions testing guys in Christchurch who do the samr kind of stuff performance engineers used to do on carb cars in Colorado back in the late 80's. The complication is that parts of USA that have the IM test program behave just like the TUV do in Germany. They black list any modifications that arent stock (they look for them while doing the visual) , and even if stock, it still might get hit on. Remember the Dodge 300 3.7 OBD2 faults Hemlock?

They are cross checked by other peer review, so if you do the changes, you might have to keep them intact.

Key part is that if you expand your carburettor engines size and improve it, make sure you have the bowl vent and lead plugs intact, but have it tested with a four gas anaylser on a load like it is on the IM test. Youll fly under those enhanced numbers if you work through those above items. If it passes, the smogg guy wont look any further.

When doing Liquid Propane Gas conversions, I used a loaded twin Cortina Borg Warner axle with a huge station wagon drum brakes to operate as road load. Ive used my former companies Confined Spaces 4 gas safety meter, and did the CO2 and Oxygen Bump tests to cover the costs. At home, in my garage, I could tune the air fuels and base advance to meet the Impco emissions requirements.

IM tests work by decree and arent a case of trying to fail cars. Its the visual that causes the stone headed problems, then the failure of HC, Nitrogen and Co forces smogg guys to figure out what non stock part is wrong here

I am pretty much way beyond the "crazy" point on my car. The thing is my car use to pass on the sniffer last time I had my car "smogged" with some major tweaking. I just think CARB is basically trying to run all our cars into the junkyard by raising the test standard 20%! The 2500 rpm number was cut in HALF! THAT IS BS! What gives these jerks the right to raise the base standard on our old cars basically wanting a better then new standard? How are we suppose to compete with that? What will you do when the standard gets so tight YOUR car won't pass? This state sucks balls!
    Last edited by Hemlock; 04-23-2020 at 09:56 AM.

My RS in Action

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...17#post1827917

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...82#post1827882

It will do so again, but the latest ratchet is oxygenated gas. So it should be giving you a lower reading due to the gasoline. Your solution is to follow mrriggs and WalkingTalls transition slot upgrades. You can lean off your carb, and that should get you in ballpark. Key thing is you still dont have to meet the 41 total HC reading,so the testing could be nastier than the reduced values.

NAVYCAT and Red'78 delt with this crap on all their rides.

You just gotta realise you can play the fish, and give them what they want and get what you need. The HC's are abke to be lowered by some fuel additive, and adjusting your base advance. If you can use JACooks propane method for ajusting the now only two corner idle, your engine will be running under the transition slots at the two speeds.

BaconB8 has 85s.Check with him.IMHO, his advice is exceptional.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...12#post1834512

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-with-E6-heads

Quote Originally Posted by BaconB8 View Post
    I have that combo. My car needs to pass a tough visual inspection, and I wanted all the emission stuff to be present. My heads are painted Ford grey to look stock.

With a stock cam, AFR 165's, Edelbrock performer emission manifold and 1.72 rollers the car made 280 to the wheels and around 320Lb/ft. on a mustang chassis dyno.

The car is fast and idles like stock. Most importantly, it passes smog.

There's a reason, well LOTS of reasons, why Californians are moving up here in droves. This is just another one. I don't know if it was just my county (Clark) or all of Washington state, but they eliminated ALL vehicle emissions testing this year.

Hey have you looked into that Holley fuel injection system?
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Specifically that post #19, #20 and #21 item

An imported from New Zealand LS is the kind of left field 924 hp supercharged Propane EFi 430 cubic inch Supercharged system that can run as an auxiliary fuel supply to make it legal.

And seriously derail getting Roberts smog issue fixed.

Hemlock and I discussed this 02-14-2016 when we looked at twin 4bbl Holley/ Impco propane cars.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post

Nice idea but seriously, he'd personally not screw his car up with that kinda different fuel system since he's really REALLY happy with the system he has.

If it would just pass smog, that'd be nyce...

Just fixing the problem which is Air Fuel ratio and ignition related, and easy to resolve.

Just remember, Holley Sniper EFi removes too many calibrated emission components to be legal. it will pass emissions easy if some of the standard issue emissions parts are kept, but it will always fail the visual. It has to use a crank sensor to keep the stock Duraspark II system intact. And it will always be an EFi conversion, whereas you can turn a CFi into port EFi if you do it right, but not the other way around.....Except if its Propane.

That is the key problem with any non factory Throttle body and non port EFi system....Except Propane.

Hey Rob, have you ever had a wideband o2 on the car? If they aren't checking nox you could probably lean it out to barely driveable and pull a pass. Also retarding the timing helps burn off hc.

I think I figured out who xctasy really is:

hahaha

Cale

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    Hey Rob, have you ever had a wideband o2 on the car? If they aren't checking nox you could probably lean it out to barely driveable and pull a pass. Also retarding the timing helps burn off hc.

I think I figured out who xctasy really is:

hahaha

Cale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast