Close

Default interior suggestions

I have a donor car with newer aero quarter windows and interior panels, and door panels, what are your thoughts on putting them in my anny car. If I did I would be keeping the 84 dash and center console. the panels are black thinking of converting all my interior to black as well as the canyon red is such a difference in shades to match up with. I have already put an 85-86 front nose on car and have rear cover and molding to go with 85-86. Also the car I got has the rear hatch under panel to make it look finished in the hatch area.

If you are going to do it right and dye the remaining faded red pieces black - yes.

If you are going to leave a red dash and center console in there with red seats - no.

If you want to put an ugly aero dash and center console in the car instead of dying your stuff - no

That's my opinion though. I also don't care for red interiors, nor do I see 84 annys as anything more than sticker package cars so take it for what it's worth.

Cale

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    If you are going to do it right and dye the remaining faded red pieces black - yes.

If you are going to leave a red dash and center console in there with red seats - no.

If you want to put an ugly aero dash and center console in the car instead of dying your stuff - no

That's my opinion though. I also don't care for red interiors, nor do I see 84 annys as anything more than sticker package cars so take it for what it's worth.

Cale
    No was going to put the aero windows in it and the rear interior trim from aero car along with door panels, use the black seat belts from aero car, keeping front seats but recover them black and same for back seats, dye the dash, center console, trim pieces, halos all black. My original quarter panels for interior are cracked and scratched so bad, missing speaker covers, i figured use the newer panels and add windows, I was thinking using door panels also cause they are in perfect shape and so are the arm rests. plus the new panels have speakers in them so I can do a nice stereo.

My .02 in regards to the Aero window is NO! Most have the rubber surround that are sun faded and scratched. Besides they don't improve the look of a 4 Eye IMHO.

You can use the Aero interior quarter panels with your 4 Eye quarter windows. You just have to cut @ 3/4" off the black quarter window trim for them to fit better. I use 3/4" masking tape on the edge and then a cut off wheel in a pneumatic small angle grinder. A dremel and even a 4.5" angle grinder will work too. Just take your time and then go back over the edge with a rasp or file and clean it up. Others have even put door edge plastic trim on the edge to improve the look.

The Aero quarter panels have better speaker locations. A few screw holes are in different locations, but not a big deal. You will need Aero hatch carpet to fit properly since they are shaped different. The Aero door panels will fit with only a possible clip or two not lining up (just leave them out) and then having to either replace wiring or doing some additional wiring to mate up the different window and lock switches of the Aero vehicles. Personally I like the switch locations better and you can also add the speaker in the door if you are willing to do some cutting of the shell.

I am struggling with similar issues on my previously Aeroed 86 Road Racer. It has the full Aero interior and dash. I am leaving all of it in there as it, but changing up the colors a bit to try and match it up better to the Four Eye theme. Would prefer the 86 Dash, but just don't have the time and motivation to swap it at this time with so many other Foxes that need to be restored/rebuilt. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I did this very conversion on my 86 GT 20+ years ago. The sunshade mounts are different as are some of the shades. After finding all the big parts, I discovered the small parts needed. For example, the drip rail trim over the top of the doors. You have to use the newer stuff for it to match. The aero quarter window studs are not all in the same place as the 4 eyes. The connectors for the switches aren't the same. You have to drill a few holes to mount the door handles, little stuff like that. I was pleased with the look at the time, but as the years passed, I wish I hadn't done it.

I've become more of a purist as far as appearance goes over the years. I'll do mods that you can't see or are upgraded but don't stand out. Just my opinion. Do what makes you happy and enjoy it.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

billkandi do you have any pics of the aero quarters inside vehicle and Trey you have any pics of the areas needed to be cut. this is a t-top car, but not sure if I am using the aero windows yet, was just thinking of using the inside stuff maybe, but not dash or console

Unfortunately, no. I did all that around 1998-99 and sold the car in 2004. There are pics in the album on my profile of the exterior though. It was black/canyon red. I do know you're better getting quarter pieces from a non shoulder belt rear seat. The sunshade is different in the later aero cars as well. And as mentioned above, the carpet is different in the hatch area. I never changed mine.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Here is my 79 PC with the Aero windows. I did that at the time because I had a broken quarter window and didn't have any replacements other than the Aero windows at the time.

Name:  014.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  152.6 KB

Honestly I hated it from Day One! I have since changed out the Aero windows and install SVO sail panels and original window and trim. I don't have a picture on my computer right now, but looks MUCH better!

With yours being a T-top car that can add some challenges to both aspects. I still recommend keeping it Four Eyed as it ultimately looks better IMHO in regards to the quarter glass and trim.

If you are asking about cutting the quarter panels, I don't see any pictures on this lap top right now, but the area that has to be trimmed is the section of the quarter panel that returns into towards the glass. The Aero windows are installed from the outside and the Four Eyed windows are installed from the inside of the car. That is where the difference is. I cut 3/4" off my panels and that worked for me. Easy to do again with 3/4" masking tape on the edge that touches the Four Eyed windows. If you do install the Aero windows you won't need to cut anything.

As stated the Aero quarter window studs don't match up perfectly with a Four Eye. Also there is a bolt in the lower rear corner of the Aero windows that you either have to fab a bracket to use on the Four Eye otherwise you must don't use it as there is no metal in that area on a Four Eye.

The Aero dash has some better ergonomics, but it just never had the cool aircraft feel of the Four Eye. When it first came out it was new and different, but IMHO it doesn't have the same toughness as the Four Eye. I personally always hated the Four Eye console as it was minimal at best, so in my 82 GT I decided to fix that, although that is a bit more work than a simple plug and play.

Name:  2016-09-21 18.06.00.jpg
Size:  234.9 KB

Name:  2016-09-21 18.06.16.jpg
Size:  251.8 KB

I have finished most of the body work and molding of the two dashes into one, but I don't have any new pictures to post at this time. Sorry!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I am keeping the correct dash, maybe swap center console and do what you did Trey, if I could find a nice set of decent priced SVO sail panels, I think that would make it look good, but I am thinking of the quarter interior trim stuff in back as the seat belts are low and lap belts not high mount, and probably use the door panels.
    Name:  1984 GT350 8.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  185.2 KBName:  1984 GT350 4.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  132.8 KB
    Got rid of FR500s and have bullets on it now..
    Name:  3501.jpg
Size:  138.5 KBName:  3502.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  140.9 KBName:  3503.jpg
Size:  136.8 KB
    I have a cowl hood or I also have the 83 GT scoop as seen in the pictures, and has a Saleen wing for it..
    Last edited by TheSpeedy1; 04-19-2020 at 12:09 PM.

Trey this is just for you as I seen you had one in your signature, I built this one it was 17 years in the making, it is a standard sportsroof, but now sports a 351 cleveland with t5 trans and 355 gears, has Holley fuel injection, TMI interior, dakota digital guages.
    Name:  Boss 2.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  176.6 KBName:  Boss.jpg
Size:  221.3 KB

On side note I think I am changing the front nose on fox back out, I have a white gt 85-86 nose with fog light cut outs also.

Awesome 1969 Mustang! I love the color you chose and just about everything else you did! Very nice job!

Unfortunately my 69 doesn't look anywhere that nice right now. I keep buying more Foxes and other projects that slide in front of it. I really need to wrap up what I am working on now and do the full Resto-Mod on my Mach 1.

I will be happy to send you more pictures of the dash/console modifications. Most are in my build thread, but I will warn you its a bit of a PITA. I love it, but not sure I would go through the process again, then again I have a short memory so I probably will anyway . . . Good Luck with your GT350 it should be a cool ride when you are done.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

yes it is a real gt350 but the front nose cone was damaged and I really didnt like the waffle grill, that is why an 85-86 front nose
    would like to see your console stuff, I might try the aero but might keep the original.
    This is my other car I am putting motor back together, it is a 96 GT with a Procharger.
    Name:  SN95 2.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  218.2 KB

Soon as the motor is back in then I will be working on my fox again

The gray mag rims and tires look perfect on the GT 350. Fine Fine Fine.

Boy that aero console has me thinking. Get the basic shell and go from there.
    Looks like it mates and blends close to the early dash. Possible much needed added support too.
    Leave 79-86 hvac controls were they are. Make a bin for the aero hvac spot.
    Move radio and graphic display, clock, out to the new loc were aero radio goes.
    I understand the centered handbrake assy can be moved off center as the aero.
    Heck i would just fab up something simple in that area rather than use the aero factory ashtray etc insert.
    That way can keep brake were it is. Add real cupholders and 12v power points. Then dress it all up.
    Aero clam shell armrests look ugly to me. My stored Ranger 40/60 seat armrest prob would work fine.
    Last edited by gr79; 04-20-2020 at 10:08 PM.

Just an FYI that mating the Aero console and the Four Eyed dash is a bit more involved than it might look.

What I had to cut off the Four Eyed Dash
    Name:  2016-09-22 10.14.14.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  217.4 KB

What I cut off the Aero Dash
    Name:  2016-09-22 10.14.50.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  245.2 KB

Name:  2016-09-22 10.14.30.jpg
Size:  219.9 KB

Braces/Brackets to attach the two dash pieces together.
    Name:  2016-09-24 11.22.36.jpg
Size:  188.3 KB

The two dashes actually joined together.

Name:  2016-09-24 12.29.20.jpg
Size:  219.4 KB
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Then I had to make a new under steering column trim piece.

Name:  2016-09-24 14.11.14.jpg
Size:  197.4 KB

Then to add structure and make the basic shape to mold the two different dashes into one I made these braces.

Name:  2016-09-25 10.21.05.jpg
Size:  190.3 KB

Name:  2016-09-25 10.24.13.jpg
Size:  173.8 KB

That gives the final basic shape to the new Franken Dash and just required some fiberglass and filler to mold everything together.

Name:  2016-09-25 14.38.37.jpg
Size:  237.2 KB

Name:  2016-09-27 16.42.15.jpg
Size:  201.9 KB

Honestly it was more work than I expected combining the dashes together, but I am happy with the results and can't wait to get back on the project and see it completed.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I found some pictures that show the reason the Aero quarter panels have to be trimmed down and where the trimming occurs.

Name:  2016-09-25 15.00.43.jpg
Size:  192.8 KB

Name:  2016-09-25 15.00.56.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  137.6 KB

You can see how the Aero window actually sits past the quarter window opening. That is because of the aero window bolting on from the outside. The green tape is 3/4" masking tape used as a quide to cut that section off the quarter panel so that it will sit inside the car against the Four Eyed quarter glass. As I stated before you can always add some black or colored door edge guard trim to clean up the cut or just give the edge a finished look if you want/need to. Easy modification to fit the Aero windows. Personally I prefer the Aero window speaker location and often they are in better shape than most Four Eyed panels. several of my Foxes have the swap and I like it. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller