Close

FEP Member

Default Where to hook up aftermarket boost and water temp gauges?

I’m looking into putting aftermarket mechanical boost and water temp gauges on my 86 SVO. I don’t know much about this style motor, so where would I find the sensors I’d need to replace to make them work? Anyone able to post some photos of the ones in less obvious locations?

I connected my Mustang's Autometer vac/boost gauge directly to the intake manifold. Gauge is in pillar pod.
    SVO dash boost gauge is connected same way i believe.

Have a Autometer mechanical temp gauge in my Ranger.
    Spliced a Motorcraft KT-82 tee in a heater hose next to the factory coolant temp sender (ECT), which uses the same tee.
    Even being located in heater hose, gauge reads coolant temp in real time, all the time.
    The tee does eventually rust but is easy to replace.
    Is kind of expensive but i feel it does an important enough job to justify the cost.
    Only problem was needed an brass adapter to move the gauge probe further out of the tee. Was a bit too long.
    Could also add a cast iron (not brass) tee off the factory senders in the block. Did that for the mech. oil pressure gauge.
    Did both years ago no issues.

I think the SVO has a temp sender same location as my 79 2.3. Driver side of block, below oil pressure sender.
    Not easy to get at, at least on mine because the turbo is right there too. Yours may be more accessible.

KT-82/F2TZ18B402A

Last edited by gr79; 04-19-2020 at 03:20 PM.

The OEM SVO boost gauge is mechanical. I just used it and ran it through the clutch cable grommet right to the large Vacuum "T" on the firewall. There were several unused ports that were just plugged. Worked like a champ. I just added the gauge to my OEM GT cluster. Aplogies for all the trademark stamping.

Last edited by homer302; 05-23-2020 at 05:01 PM.

FEP Member

Mine doesn’t work, hence the inclination to replace. It’s currently in pieces in my driveway for IRS swap however