Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 79 2.3 turbo

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?160881-2.3

Cool. Know your busy. Please check all Youtube videos and updates from Chris Millers 79 turbo notch. Its been 10 years of autox with up to 22 pounds of boost. Stock intake with divider removed. Looks like its been reliable too. He talks about the power valves boost referencing falling apart with any large boost increases, so uses no power valve. Nor does Esslinger in his unboosted 2.3/2.5 Lima OHCs.

New User

I will. Thanks for the update. Can you recommend a good service manual for this engine configuration? Cheers

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

These are the real deal. Official Ford publications.
    Consider the whole shop set if doing work on other areas of the car.
    There are paper and CD versions. The paper ones are full size 8x11.
    The paper versions are more portable. CD more durable and not as expensive.
    Both would be real nice. They pay for themselves many times over as DIY guides or reference.
    Even adding shipping to Canada. Ebay.ca pretty much has the same offers shipped from the states.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-FORD-C...4AAOSwZapdZiJW
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ar+shop+manual

Also if doing electrical, get one of these. Same publisher- Official Ford.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Ford-M...cAAOSw3ydVspOf

New User

Thanks! I want to get the complete ford set for my 82 GT. In Canada, you could get the GT as a turbo as well as the 5.0. Do you know if the 82 shop manual for Canada include the turbo engine or were you supposed to refer to the 79 manual? Do you know if there were major differences between the years? If not I will find the two you showed me and the 82 set. If there are big differences I will get both. Thanks!

Get the 82 set and go from there.
    Each year has its own manual set.
    Info may be carried over if its the same, items added or subtracted, or changed anew if year specific.
    In comparison, Haynes and Chilton are pretty much generic covering multi years.

The 79 engine manual has all the gas engines for that year found in all the car lines. 2.3, 3.3, 2.8, 302/351W, 351M/400.
    Unsure but reasonable to assume the 82 manual covers the turbo 2.3 too.
    The manuals cover all items even if not in every car.
    The 79 2.3 section is for the n/a part of the 2.3 engine. Another section covers diag and service of the t/c.
    The carb turbo engines were all basically the same except for calibration and maybe other added parts.

Have used the engine and chassis manuals so much, had to buy spares. Pages got dirty and binding came apart.
    The 82 manual may be written differently. Even better due to added updated info since 79.
    Have found the 79 manual had some outdated pages from 78, missing the newer 79 details.

Bought the 1985 set for when i owned my LTD LX.
    Has both versions of 2.3 along with 2.4 diesel, 3.8, 302/351W. Again covers all car lines.
    Has info that can be applied to 79 as to upgraded parts info or specs. Covers (EFI) turbocharger better.

85 is Powertrain, Emissions, Diag.
    82 says Engine, Emissions, Diag.
    79 simply Engine
    All same deal. Contain much more than engine chapters. Each year set is organized a bit differently.

Trucks have their own manual sets.

New User

Ok, thanks. The 82 set is more money so I don't want to double up yet if I don't have to. I will probably buy the 79 engine manual as it covers the 2.8 as well. I have an 84 ranger manual for that reason too. I would one day like a 79 capri with a 2.8 (or put one in it). The 79 vac manual isn't too much. Might get one too in case the 82 manual doesn't cover the turbo. I'm looking for a Canadian set. Cheers!

Keep checking sources for the manuals.
    I still search every now and then for publishings but have not really needed anything more than the Ford shop sets.
    From time to time, as any other item, prices and availability change.
    There are others like hard to find TSB's, dealer training manuals.
    Dealer tech training covered info needed back then, as now, then fades away over time due to not being needed.
    Info on this site and other forums can fill some of the gaps.

Ca gets a hit on shipping charges.
    Ca and US cars are pretty close as you know.
    Its the special models and country specif parts that throw a curve.
    KPH speedos, the enhanced systems for cold weather.
    The Canada only Cobras, Pontiac Parisiennes, Mercury trucks.
    Over here in the Detroit area owners from, say Windsor Ont, come across to do car shows and bring those brands.
    After so many years, the parts and data is disheartening.
    I guess shops now rely on ALLDATA subscriptions for info. Not something we can buy into easily.

New User

I know. I keep BMW stuff for new hires. They have everything on line but no intuitive search. Sometimes you just have to know the right question/person. I am truly impressed with this forum. Equal parts knowledge and passion. Haven't seen much bs. The ranger station is good too.

New User

Btw, what do you guys think of stinger performance? I'm glad they have the dual outlet tailpipe. I am thinking about using their CP pistons. I cannot find the mahle forged for the 2.3. Has anyone tried their exhaust? I'm not ready to purchase big ticket items yet so asking for info. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    Btw, what do you guys think of stinger performance? I'm glad they have the dual outlet tailpipe. I am thinking about using their CP pistons. I cannot find the mahle forged for the 2.3. Has anyone tried their exhaust? I'm not ready to purchase big ticket items yet so asking for info. Thanks

Herd no evil or Spoke no evil of them, and if I saw it, I pretended not to.

Since Mahle is an OEM German piston maker, good luck!

You'd have to go off the radar for a coated M113 /M112 Untertürkheim interchange.

3.78 ", 96 mm forged pistons are no longer easy to source. Its a 44 thou over 305 Chevy piston.

New User

That's why I was looking at the pistons stinger has. Would get the stock style pistons. As for the exhaust, I wondered if anyone had tried to adapt to the carb turbo
    They look like nice systems.

No. If you mean putting the t3 on the SVO or Ranger header, no. Its very antiquated compared to where modern T3/T4'S are now.

The down pipe exhaust is a 90 degree plunge down.

New User

I got my first manual today, the engine one. Waiting for the vac manual. Also picked up a complete 83 manual set for $20. It might be a while before I start on the engine. I've been off for 6 weeks with no money. Can't get ahold of anyone in the government and my dealership isn't opening up the building I work out of till june. Still hoping to build it by the end of the year. Thanks again for the help

Congrads great deal on the manual set
    Good time to study the manuals and forums. Longer timespan is good for working when in the mood and no hurry.
    Took me a long time to rebuild mine. No drive for 13 years. Was not easy to keep it intact or parked in one location.
    Had either time or money. Then both came together. Time did help obtain a much better complete result.
    Gathered parts, planned, then went thru the car body and systems once car was in the new garage.
    Added benefit was materials got better and was able to build up the parts restore package, finding bargains and sales.
    Always a daily driver. First life was 1978-1987. Second life, 2000-current. Restored the good and rebuilt the bad better.

Been looking for a new oil pan for future. Not sure of what ones fit.
    Toughest part of the engine rebuild was getting the turbocharger clocking right after it was rebuilt. A critical task.

New User

Thanks for the tips. I don't have an oil pan. The engine didn't come with one or the pick up tube. Is there anything special about the stock pan? I just bought an air cleaner. Lucked on to it. Paid $10 and it's in great shape. Shipping cost more but worth it! The main reason I want to build this now is because parts are still readily available. It's the reason I have parts to build five 2.8 V6's. One day I know parts will be harder to find so I'm stocking up. Do you know of anyone that makes the motorsport pattern cams? I might start with the bigger xr4 cam till I find one but.... Now I just need to find the vac switches that were on the body. I think i have everything else. Will know for sure when i draw everything out using the manuals. Thanks again!

Ebay is one source of parts. Descriptions usually show lack of knowledge of variations though.
    Pickups seem to be something that were used over more than one year, nothing rare.
    Again, next time will go stock turbo pump. HV was chosen because i used an oil cooler. Maybe overthunk that.
    Oil pressure is very high when cold on the 2.3. Has to be driven easy till warm or will take out the distributer roll pin.

Still stumped on the diff between pan fit. Rear one piece seal types, different bolt patterns. Mine is rusty.
    Would love to have a one piece gasket, but that type pan may not fit. Ongoing research.
    The 79 turbo pan seems to be the same as a regular 2.3, just says to add .5 qt more oil.

I keep spare parts too. The ones hard to get or bargains. Keeping OE takeoff parts for reference.

Crane used to make close copies of the various cams back in the 80's.
    May have been the vendor of the EFI turbo cams and the other Ford Motorsport cams.
    Looking at cams now, many choices.
    I i were to get another cam, would not be fussy on exact spec match. Same or one step up would work here i think.
    Prob would consider going roller. Like the 93 Ranger cam. Gets great mileage and has torque. Turbo would add hp.
    Many more out there than when i got current in the 90's.
    And coated skirt pistons. Tech that was not common back in the 90's.

Read turbo cams are milder than n/a but need the certain overlap window to work best.
    Then there is the advance/retard option. I did straight up. Wanted bottom end and top, ease of tuning, durability.
    If anything, leaned toward torque rather than hp with efficiency gain for a daily driver.
    When i bought the current late 80's cam, was told it would improve everything 20% due to new design knowledge from 1979.

New User

Please check out the CP pistons that Stinger performance has. I don't mind spending the money if they are worth it. I'm trying to get an 88 mustang pan. Its $20 but I have to see if he will ship it. I don't want to drive 3 hours one way for a used oil pan. Was the stock turbo pump different than the n/a pump? I want to run .oo1 extra clearance bearings which is why I was leaning to a hv pump. Will run an accusump for start up.

The CP pistons and ring package look good as any. Much has changed. Not many choices anymore.
    From what i understand, the turbo pump has a bit more pressure for the added clearances.
    That HV blew off the hose on my added oil cooler. Fresh Mobil 20w50 gone on freeway. Too heavy. 10w30 now.
    Stock pump on my 93 Ranger 2.3 is 22 at idle and 50-60 warm. 80 cold. 5w30 Valvoline.
    Motorcraft FL-1A is the only filter with slots instead of holes. Read Ford did than because of high oil pressures.
    https://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...-oil-pump.html

Requested TRW brand if possible and my shop got the pistons and rings, matched everything and boxed them.
    I did all the assy.
    Machine shop (Holbrook) is well known in Detroit area and was suggested by Roush engine people located nearby.
    Wanted them to do it, but they said that's where they would send the work. The everyday stuff.
    Cyl head was done by Total Performance, Mt Clemens MI. Both shops mainly Ford performance work for a long time.
    I should call them to find out what brand parts they would go with now.
    Fortunate development of the 2.3T was done here in the Detroit area. They were not strangers to one.
    Total sold me the cam and told be about the 20%.
    https://www.holbrookracingengines.com/history/

Per R/O:
    Block was honed with plate +.75, fire deck min to clean, top ring gap .016 second .012, crank ground .010.
    Align honed, cleaned, etc.
    Pistons were 150 (1996) rings 51 ARP rod bolts 37.

Interested as to how the pan is going to fit.

New User

Great info! Guy did serious research. I generally only use high volume oil pumps in larger clearance engines or with oil coolers and pressurized oil tanks. I will try to find a stock turbo pump but wonder what your machine shop would recomend. This is my favorite part of building engines. So many things to learn!

TRW is now branded as Sealed Power or Speed Pro.

More choices:
    https://www.summitracing.com/search/...orged-aluminum
    https://www.bo-port.com/index.php?ac...d&productId=26

Even with extra cost shipping to good old London Ont, cheaper than 700.00+.
    Last edited by gr79; 05-01-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Engines are so interesting. So are the auto plants. Smell, noise. Feeling at home.
    Have done one VW 1600 and the 2.3T. Over 100k and counting. Help family and others as 'inspectorr'.
    One brother just got done with 05 GTO LS. Runs good. Both brothers have big block Chevys and others.
    Car shows are a fav. Will inspect/study most anything good and bad. Not too interested in all show no go.
    We all had muscle cars in the era. Peer pressure= had to run good. New and almost new, all 4 mfgs (yes AMC).
    Worked tag relief at Ford Dearborn Engine line back in the 70's. Learned a lot. Seen a lot.
    Installed intake gaskets, intakes, bolts OIL PUMPS. FT V8. Watched pistons being punched in.
    Seen them make pistons. Sounded and looked like a bottling factory.
    Later at a warehouse with brand new GM truck V8, V6 1999-2012. Did engine parts inventory. Noted the vendors GM used.
    Tour thru an engine plant of the 2000's was very different than the old days. Very clean and well lighted.
    Seen 10's of thousands of new engines. Loaded many too. At one time we had 50,000 warehoused. What a sight.
    Last edited by gr79; 05-01-2020 at 06:10 PM.

New User

I remember touring the ford plant at River Rouge in 1979. Best school trip I ever had. My Dad had a machine/millwright shop so when I left high school I apprenticed under him. Got both tickets and worked in some amazing places. I was a better millwright than machinest but that suited me fine. My dad apprenticed at a locomotive factory in England when he was 14. By 18 he was the foreman. We specialized in steam turbines, pumps and compressors. Sarnia had in its heyday over 3000 turbines ranging in size from single stage 10" to multi stage 30' monsters that esso used to power its generator. My favorite things to work on were ships. Imagine rebuilding a turbo so big you could walk through the outlet. Spins 100k rpm and had to be balanced to be smooth. When we were done rebuilding it they coated it in a high temp paste about 6" thick and when it was running the whistle was still so loud you needed ear protection. Incredible machines. When he lost his business to an unscrupulous partner I started my mechanic apprenticeship at the BMW dealership in Sarnia. When my Dad passed last April I lost my best friend and listening ear. We talked out engineering problems constantly. I enjoyed explaining what BMW was doing to innovate and how they got it wrong.... it's hard to find people to talk to who understand problem solving when it involved getting dirty. I think kids these days are missing out. I will teach my son everything I know and the next day we will go fishing......

That was quite a field trip. Did not think any school that far away was very aware of the lifetime memory that place has.
    Did the official tour many times. Slab mill, steel mill, DAP.
    Ate lunch once in the picnic area, at the end of the ship canal and docks. Air quality was ok but not like a park.

Once employed at Ford Rouge DEP, been in the radiator, stamping, glass, frame plants, tunnels too.
    Dock, fuel tanks and machining were done downstairs at DEP. Upstairs was pistons, assembly, and hot test.

Live video of diesel ships sailing on the Detroit River past the Dossin Museum, on Belle Isle, is interesting.
    https://detroithistorical.org/dossin...r-watch-webcam

Steam. Rail. DVD and TV documentarys.
    Sure miss the summer steamer cruises on the Detroit River. The smell, noise, visuals.
    Heck with the park rides. Boat ride only.
    Loud aircraft turbine power at military air shows.

See the massive steam engine in the Henry Ford Museum next time out here. First seen on school field trip in the 60's.
    They have the huge stationary steam engine HF used at the Highland park plant. They moved it.
    Stuff was big as a kid and still is big as an adult.
    https://www.thehenryford.org/collect...rt-sets/10921/
    https://www.thehenryford.org/collect...artifact/9628/

Recently went on the tour thru the F-150 plant for free. Same shuttle bus ride. Tours were discontinued for a long time.
    The school buses arrive direct on Ford Rouge property at the welcome center adjacent to the plant.

New User

We went through Greenfield village the next day. That was the most amazing trip I have ever taken. I'm not the kind of person to gamble or sit on a beach. I wish my girls were more adventurous. Liam and I still go to Sarnia to watch the ships. There is a steam railway in northern Ontario I want to take him on. I hope the world opens up so I can take him on it this year. If not, next. Got to make as many lifelong memories as I can.

The village is a lot of walking but neat to visit the houses and hear the stories. But not in the hot summer.
    The museum itself is easily a whole day.
    NASCAR Bill Elliots 1987 #9 Coors Melling Thunderbird, that did 212.809 mph, is parked there.

A replica of the kitchen sink that HF built one of his first engines in.
    " Henry Ford built his first experimental engine using scrap metal for parts. He tested it on the kitchen sink after supper on December 24, 1893.
    For ignition he ran a wire from the ceiling's light bulb. His wife, Clara, hand fed the gasoline to the intake valve while Henry spun the flywheel."

Another display holds a HF personal set of toolmaker gauge blocks.
    A light bulb making machine.
    Most can be seen online.
    The Ford test track is across the road there. Used to be an airport way back.
    Lots of secret Ford stuff and auto history in that area.
    Ford WHQ is to the NE just down the road.

Ford is everywhere in Dearborn. Another world.
    Used to drive me nuts to see and hear the name Ford everywhere i went on my days off.
    Sometimes on October 5 (cars birthday), i drive it to 3001 Miller Rd and do a quick burnout.
    That is approx where it left Ford property, about 8am, 1978, via car hauler to dealer that day.
    Last edited by gr79; 05-05-2020 at 08:52 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast