Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Just a little update 6 months in to the scamdemic. Not from fake news, not opinions, not from any social media feed, definitely not from CNN or Yahoo, just facts. These numbers are actually way more skewed than they are in reality. If you test positive for Covid one week, and they test you again the next week and it's still positive....(uhhhh...yeah, I would expect so), they count that as TWO positives in their numbers. This is what happens when the government finds something to care about.
    Straight from John Hopkins University:

Approximately 9,632,969 cases (of Covid) have been confirmed worldwide. There have been 2,422,312 cases in the U.S. as of June 26, 2020.*

Flu: The World Health Organization estimates that 1 billion people worldwide get the flu every year.

In the U.S., for Oct. 1, 2019 – Apr. 4, 2020, the CDC estimates that there were 39 million to 56 million cases of flu. (The CDC does not know the exact number because the flu is not a reportable disease in most parts of the U.S.)

COVID-19: There have been approximately 489,731 deaths reported worldwide. In the U.S, 124,415 people have died of COVID-19, as of June 26, 2020.*

Flu: The World Health Organization estimates that 290,000 to 650,000 people die of flu-related causes every year worldwide.
    Last edited by homer302; 06-26-2020 at 04:19 PM.

You are preaching to the choir as I agree with you 100%. The numbers will say whatever those with an interest in keeping the fear going want them to say.

I'm somewhat surprised at how many people are still bought into this scam even though evidence to the contrary is right there before their eyes.

I don't know about other places but where I live I don't know a single person who's gotten sick, nor do I know anybody who knows anybody who's gotten sick. Zero, nada, zilch. That's real world evidence I can see, not some numbers on a piece of paper.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Well, the Fauci-Wolf economy caught up to me Friday. I was working at a company that makes and repairs overhead cranes. The long term orders dried up and the in house work was completed so there's the door.

May take awhile to find another job this time. The long term outlook isn't good at the moment.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamCapri View Post
    Well, the Fauci-Wolf economy caught up to me Friday. I was working at a company that makes and repairs overhead cranes. The long term orders dried up and the in house work was completed so there's the door.

May take awhile to find another job this time. The long term outlook isn't good at the moment.
    Sorry to hear that, William. I was just talking to someone yesterday about how the economy took a hit, but not in all sectors. You might be surprised to find something... maybe even better than what you had. There are many places around me that are hiring but can't get people off their lazy butts to work. Why would they? They're making easy money sitting around laughing at us "essential" workers/suckers. I have a family member doing just that. Sent him several jobs that he qualified for but he's lazy. So if you need a job, start looking around. The current situation is keeping many would-be applicants on the couch!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Thanks BroncoJ, Don’t worry, I’ll be applying to whatever I can find that I’m qualified for. 3 applications out already. Problem is, I’m pretty well locked in the current location. My wife is in the end run of her career at UPMC Children’s. She will only move if I find something in Florida or Waco, Tx. I wouldn’t mind Texas. I have a CDL that I got between jobs a few years ago. I’ll pull the trigger on that as a last resort.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

If you have a CDL, you may consider taking the hazmat test.
    you can make a lot more as a hazmat driver in my experience
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

FEP Super Member

I came back into trucking just as the whole Covid thing started blowing up, I was running a Vac Truck for a drilling rig Company in Northern Ab, which came to an end due to an accident on one of our rigs.
    I went back to another Long Haul Trucking company I had worked with in the past, and have been running ever since....
    For the first couple of months it was non stop, but things have slowed down a bit now....
    I have been sitting in Laredo, Tx since Tuesday waiting on a load....

I had an interesting comment from a tech guy at Holley the other day. After I waited an hour and five minutes on hold. I mentioned the wait time and he said they had actually hired more people because they are slammed. Everyone on unemployment and the government sending stimulus checks. Car guys with income and lots of spare time equals buying lots of parts! I work for a small automotive restoration shop now and the only real differences we have is increased wait times on parts and local deliveries are left at the door instead of them coming inside. Most of our customers have a lot more cash on hand than we do and only one project is stalled because of the pandemic. I know a lot of people that are out of work though and I genuinely feel for them. Not much has changed for me personally but my girlfriend is in healthcare and holy cow has their world changed. Because of this and losing a (admittedly not close) family member to covid I am not one of those who believes it's a hoax. I'm hoping for life to go back to normal soon as I'm sure everyone else is. And not the "new" normal. Old normal is fine if we can just stop the spread of this ridiculousness quick.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

FEP Senior Member

I am 2.5 months into being furloughed, and I do empathize with those that have lost jobs, been furloughed, and also those that have been working through all of it. Those that are "essential" to me aren't suckers. I'd rather have stayed earning a paycheck the old fashioned way. I talked with a co-worker yesterday that got wind that our account will be closed at the end of 2020. That means at maximum I'll have insurance / benefits through the end of the year with my current company, but I have no indication that I'll be brought back to any position. Hiring has been at a minimum at our company, and it's a global company. Who knows. I've kept an eye on the local hiring and I'm overqualified for 99%. A degree in engineering, management experience, and 20 years of experience means I'm going backward on almost anything local. No option to move if I want to stay married as my wife loves where we live and we're a few payments away from being 100% debt free. Own our house and property, own all vehicles, tractor, ATV, etc. It's hard to choose to move somewhere else and have to go back into debt. I'm still working on one car to sell soon (my '86 Fox hatchback), and I've thought about trying to restore cars as an income option. I love the cheaper cars, and no one would want to pay for them anyway.
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

Sorry to hear that. I am 3+ months in myself. No end in sight. Lots of false hope and I even got hired and offered a job once and we agreed on a salary and I sent hem all my W2 stuff and background check stuff etc. and then"some things changed" and they went back on their word. We are still getting by because of proper planning with a sizable emergency fund and almost no debt. I believe I am at the point where I am going to sell off some stuff and I believe we might be able to pay off our mortgage or get just a few months from it and that would make us 100% totally debt free with zero obligations other than taxes and insurance.

And there is no such thing as an "essential" worker though for the record. I had already said that but that was months ago. My friend who washes cars at a dealership was deemed essential, landscapers are essential. People who work at the AutoBell car wash are essential, McDonalds cashiers are essential, our local florist in town is essential, the local cake bakery is essential. I dare not tell the truth here because it's impossible without devolving into politics which is not allowed but everyone who KNOWS, KNOWS what is going on and why. Everyone I know and everyone they know and everyone they know were all deemed essential. As far as I know, in North Carolina, only people who cut hair were deemed "non-essential". Every other job that every other person does in NC was deemed essential.

Very sorry to hear that man. Based on my 3 months of experience, you MIGHT find something but should definitely be prepared to be working for much less money. I hope your family was living inside their means. That is the only blessing I have found in the midst of this crazy storm. Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by 85GT-79FJ40 View Post
    Because of this and losing a (admittedly not close) family member to covid I am not one of those who believes it's a hoax. .
    I am very sorry for your loss. Even if it was not someone close, it is never fun to lose a relative. My wife's father passed away in May in the middle of all this other mess and that didn't help an already bad situation for sure. This year is just pretty much bad overall for so many. I would be curious to know (if you want to share) if that individual had a compromised immune system or was already in a high risk group before Covid. Covid has a 99% full recovery and survival rate (although CNN will never broadcast that). I know that some people have lost their lives due to Covid. Covid is not a hoax, I didn't say that, but the HUGE government over-reaction and over-reach of power and policies and non-stop MEDIA SCARE TACTICS are without question 100% absolutely and without doubt a HOAX. This entire thing is a giant social experiment and unfortunately, most Americans are not smart enough to see it. It has proven to be no more dangerous than the yearly flu that somehow nobody was scared of before. It's also funny how you never hear these wild Covid statistics of other countries except ours. HMMM. You don't think an election year might have anything to do with that do you? I can't say because we can't talk politics. Yeah, probably that has nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by homer302; 07-19-2020 at 03:47 PM.

Does anyone remember way back in March when Michigan tried to implement a government policy where they would hand you a list of "government approved" items you could buy when you walked in a store? If it wasn't on the list guess what? You weren't ALLOWED to purchase it. Of course you don't. Because that social experiment failed miserably and therefore the media pretty much white washed it from the internet. Citizens went wild. I told my wife that day in March when I still had a job actually that this was a giant government social experiment. They immediately backed down. They were just putting their toes in the water to see how far they could go. They learned that was too far in March. Next March? Most people walking around wearing masks might not even question it. Which is another funny thing because for all but the actual N95 Medical masks (Which, for the record the doctors and nurses actually have to have a FITTING for, my wife works at a hospital. They don't just grab one out of a random bag) say right on the package that "This mask does not prevent the spread of Covid" right on the dang package. Just hilarious.
    Liberty once lost is lost Forever.
    Last edited by homer302; 07-19-2020 at 04:08 PM.

Thanks Homer302,

We are ok. Unemployment will kick in this week. Wife still has a job. She makes way more than I ever will. Me - Engineering degree with 38 years of experience. Loads of 2d, 3d, and FEA experience. My age is probably working against me now. This situation will continue until they find a vaccine. Some talking head said upheaval until vaccine or herd immunity. He defined herd immunity as 80-90% recovered from the disease. What does that mean for the other 10-20%? Death I suppose. 35-70 million people?

Company down the road posted an ad for CDL A drivers with 1 year experience preferred but not necessary. I’ll throw my hat in. The wife will want to move after retirement and I don’t plan to retire for some years. With driving experience I should be good for awhile.
    W

My age is also working against me so I totally am in the same boat. A Talking head is a perfect description for whoever that was. It has a 99% full survival rate without a vaccine. Not many people should even be scared of it unless you have a compromised immune system or are in a high-risk category.
    If I was in either of those categories, I would be terrified of Covid......just like the normal plain old flu. I would stay home, wear a mask when I was around anyone really and make sure I had my food delivered to the porch and they left and then I would go outside and disinfect it and bring it inside for sure. Fortunately, I am not in that position but I certainly understand and feel for those that are. 99% of people are not in that position.
    Last edited by homer302; 07-19-2020 at 04:38 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

My relative was absolutely compromised. On oxygen actually. So pretty much exactly who they say covid takes out.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

I am happy to report that tomorrow I start a new job. Whether or not it's a "good" job or not is obviously yet to be determined but at least it's something. I was unemployed for exactly 100 days. It was the longest 100 days in my life. I felt so low and so worthless. I actually make about the same as I did before and am in the same field so I feel truly blessed. Here lately I had been applying for pretty much just anything. If I heard "we think you're over-qualified for this job" one more time I was going to lose it. I wanted to say, My family has to eat, what does over-qualified even mean? I have no idea what you are talking about. I will show up early and every day and give you a fair day's work for a fair wage. What does THAT have to do with anything?

We could "almost" make it on my wife's salary alone but not when "life happens." She could cover all the bills we have but not all the crap that comes up.
    For example, just in July we had our AC go out (twice with two totally different issues), a bathtub that cracked and had to be replaced, the AC went out on one car, the IAC valve went out on a different one and it wouldn't idle, the rear brakes on my wife's car had to be replaced and the main water line coming into our house came apart right on "our" side of the line where it connects to the inside plumbing and sprayed water up on the floor and warped the sub floor and ruined the flooring in that area. You know, that kind of "life happens."

So i believe we are going to go ahead and sell some things and see about paying off our mortgage as that was a little close for comfort. Had this opportunity not come around, we would've had to start digging in to the emergency fund to keep up and that obviously will only last so long.

So my wish is that there is hope for all of the others that are in that position. Hopefully it's a sign that things are coming around. Good luck to all!

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Congrads and wishes of favorable luck when starting new again. A loss, being out with no end in sight, a new job, cause anxiety.
    Having been in the OEM and Tier 1 levels of automotive business for a long time, learned how to deal with layoffs, callbacks, seniority bumps.
    Worked out a casual lifestyle. similar to retirement income wise, early in career. Working, budgeting, saving, splurging as needed.
    Learned to take advantage of time off. Especially layoffs with a call back date or if taking voluntary temp layoff.
    I could do part time parts counter again. Or better, a casual JIT delivery stint of hot auto parts to factories with a van or small truck.

"You are too old to get another good job". I said am way too young to retire. Proved them wrong 2x 1999-2017.
    Both were good jobs, more money than ever. Went out on top.

Direct hire is better than contract work if possible. Days off or retirement are better than work. Seniority matters.
    Automotive related work as a career is interesting, always openings, and usually offer good pay and benefits.

The best employers hire good people and respect them. Treated as an equal, not 'a body', the more recent trend.
    Frank in interviews, talking money, rules, asking questions. a walk around, to study conditions to simulate working there.
    Mega work hours should be by choice, not the 'norm'. Same with obviously doing 2-3 jobs when being paid for 1.
    Takes 3 months or 1/2 day to really see what one has gotten into.

Then deal with new co-workers that view new employees as 'replacement threats'. Their problem. Been that way myself.
    Getting to know who will work with you, slowly trusting other coworkers in order to shake out the moody, the troublemakers, and fools.
    Learning how to form a plan to work with, not hate, all everyday to stay with good employers and fair work tasks.
    Last edited by gr79; 12-22-2020 at 01:37 AM.

Glad to hear that you are back at it, good luck and Godspeed
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Homer302,

Congrats on the new job. Things are happening, just different markets widening as others close up. I had an interview for a truck driving position Thursday and they said I could test with them whenever I want. They are going nuts trying to move product to market and make backhauls. Not going to do that until I get a few practice hours behind the wheel. It’s been about 8 years since I touched a semi. The school where I got my license will be happy to take my money for some hours.

But then, I had an interview with a recruiter Thursday afternoon for an engineering manager position. So, only the Lord knows how things will shake out. Just going to get the Capri ready for the Ford Nationals this coming weekend. Going to scrub the engine compartment this year to see if it helps dress it up a bit. Don’t want to break anything important though
    W

Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    If I heard "we think you're over-qualified for this job" one more time I was going to lose it. I wanted to say, My family has to eat, what does over-qualified even mean? I have no idea what you are talking about. I will show up early and every day and give you a fair day's work for a fair wage. What does THAT have to do with anything?

Ever since I started in Engineering, back when the mammoths roamed the Earth :-), there have been layoffs, and more layoffs, then massive layoffs. :-|
    Imho, In General, for most people, Engineering is anything but a stable profession.
    Still, *I* couldn't image doing anything that *I* love more!
    Well, other than Running. And, my lack of World Class ability, and then a knee injury killed that potential dream. :-P

For 3 times, I was SURE that I found a place where I could retire.
    Yea, riiiight!!
    Dumb industry newbie!!!
    How many engineering companies stay strong, layoff free, and not merging/re-adjusting for ~50 years??
    So, I've been ping-ponging between the needing a job side, and the hiring side, of working since graduating. :-|

As for your question:
    If I'm working for a company and interviewing/hiring a person, my responsibility is to the company. They are paying me.
    Imho, anything otherwise is "criminal/unethical".
    Also, depending on the company/industry, potentially a Federal crime. :-O

So, if I see a great resume, but the the person is older, and clearly over qualified, it is my responsibility to the company (legally, morally, etc) for me to decide, to the best of my ability, if that person would likely leave the company if/when they get a better offer.
    The job market always cycles. So, unless a person sucks, they will get a better offer in the future.

Note: The above also applies to me, when I'm interviewing for a job.
    I'm not special. No one is special.

Fwiw, I tell them the truth: My house is paid for, I don't have to pay for kids in school, or support my kids, I don't have loans/etc to pay off, and I've worked on some great projects/products in the past.
    So, I'm now looking for a company/job that I like and is a good fit for the both of us.
    I would let them know that I was looking more for job satisfaction, than job pay.

Of course, if the above isn't true for some else, then they are going to have to make it sound like they would work at that company forever - because.......

Or, it could be that the company has such a high turn-over rate, what they really care about is that a person will be there x-amount of time.
    I previously worked at one of those companies. So, I had to guess if we hired person-z, would person-z stay at the company x-years.

The above is a honest answer, at least in my industry.
    I'm sure that in other industries, they have other needs and desires.

Again, Congratulations on the new job!
    Last edited by stangPlus2Birds; 07-26-2020 at 10:11 PM.

Hey All!

Just wanted to report that I have scored a new job as a mechanical engineer. Small company that makes metal finishing lines. Cleaning, plating, anodizing. I think I’m glad that I didn’t have to move on a CDL job. Probably safest for all. One interesting comment I got from the hiring manager was that I appeared to be an adult. I debated how casual to dress for the interview and decided to go the whole business suit route. Company owner made a comment about a candidate they had that didn’t wear socks in the middle of winter. The candidate said, “Well, Einstein never wore socks.” I told them I’m no Einstein.

Anyway, keep at it if you are looking, or need to move on to something new. Things are starting to open up now.
    W

Just wanted to report that I have scored a new job as a mechanical engineer.
    Company owner made a comment about a candidate they had that didn’t wear socks in the middle of winter.
    The candidate said, “Well, Einstein never wore socks.” I told them I’m no Einstein.
    Congratulations!!

Yes, you always, always, dress formally for any professional job interview.
    Imho, one of the most asinine things I read, was back in the 90's - in the Network hiring boom. A few "job advice specialists" suggested that a person go to the company a few days before hand, see how the people dressed, and dress similarly for the interview.
    What stupid advice!

As for Einstein, yes he was MEGA Brilliant!
    However, he was still "just a man". He was not, and never wanted to be seen, as some sort of deity. He knew, like us all, he had his flaws. For example, he cheated on his wife.

Congrats again!

"Yes, you always, always, dress formally for any professional job interview."

Thanks StangPlus2Birds,

Ya, if I'd have scoped the location first I would probably have dressed down a bit. They seem to be flannel shirts and blue jeans for work attire. Not that I would have interviewed like that, more sport coat and slacks rather than business suit. I have to confirm that as their daily dress. If so, I need to get a new crop of blue jeans. This pandemic nonsense has not been kind to my waistline. Not much else to do but look for a job and eat. Next major chore is to get tires for the daily driver, 2010 Mercury Mariner AWD. The forecast for this winter isn't looking good.
    W

Hey All!

Just wanted to report that I have scored a new job as a mechanical engineer. Small company that makes metal finishing lines. Cleaning, plating, anodizing. I think I’m glad that I didn’t have to move on a CDL job. Probably safest for all. One interesting comment I got from the hiring manager was that I appeared to be an adult. I debated how casual to dress for the interview and decided to go the whole business suit route. Company owner made a comment about a candidate they had that didn’t wear socks in the middle of winter. The candidate said, “Well, Einstein never wore socks.” I told them I’m no Einstein.

Anyway, keep at it if you are looking, or need to move on to something new. Things are starting to open up now.
    YAY! Good for you! Congratulations!

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast