Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Stepping stones

Was 48 and took a month to get re-employed. Stuck to my guns to find a cool job and did. Higher pay too.
    One day taking a drive thinking and searching, came upon a notice on a warehouse glass door. Hilo driver needed.
    Oh boy. Peered inside to see something. Did not like the brand of forklifts they used. Toyota. Passed on that place.

Few days later on the way to a temp interview, Drove by another warehouse. A new one built late 1990's.
    A white paper on the door caught my eye. Turned the car around to check it out.
    Said " Hilo driver position filled". Thought... dang someone got my job!.
    Entered anyway. Nothing to lose. Monica at the desk told me to sit and wait for interview. A backup hire? Oh boy.
    Rich D showed me the pile of unqualified applicants. Asked if i could do inventory and lead. YES. And automotive related.
    Was honest and explained not as a full time job but knew the drill and was a full time dept lead prior for 15 years.
    Also mentioned was not comfortable if ending someone else's job. I did but the party was ok with that.
    Attitude was to be an equal, not aloof nor intimidated. Turned out the right decision. My age helped confidence doing this.
    Was sent to get physical and was hired couple hours later.
    Still did not know what i would be doing, nor did not know what company did.
    But they had new Yale forklifts, building was new, clean, huge, quiet, everyone was friendly and seemed happy. And no PPE req.
    Found out company had GM plant across the street as main customer. GM pretty much ran the show.
    Was next level up from what i did 1980-1999. From pro to minor leagues back into pro. Perfect.
    Worked for Ford, Chrysler, now worked with, not for, GM. Am from a GM family.

The paper on the door saying 'hilo position filled'....was a young girl.
    Company was growing and Jamie, hired the same day, was my co-worker. She officially had a couple hours seniority over me.
    Later that day, took a hilo test stacking engine racks. Never drove a sit down electric forklift. Did not know how to turn it on.
    No matter, a truck is a truck. Passed the test. Coolest management i ever worked for. Got the parts dept lead after 90 day trial.
    A dream come true. Stayed 12 years. Would have been more but GM closed the plant for long changeover from engines to transmissions.
    Mandatory callback time per union rules ran out, could have transferred to another loc with a pay cut. Passed. End of job.
    Building eventually got sold to Keystone Automotive.

When i hired in, we had over 100 workers. When i got laid off, less than 20. Gained high seniority over the years.
    Since the company grew quickly and i came on in the early days, i was able to stay safely up the list.
    But not high enough to avoid mandatory overtime. Hated it, but now am so glad that happened.
    Knowing the auto business, knew it would not last forever. Layoffs were voluntary then, if needed, from bottom up.

Was 60 and looking again. Brother in law said "you are too old to get another good paying job". Proved him wrong.
    He worked at my former employer (got me hired there). That company from the 50's finally vanished right around then.
    Some of the Ford fasteners we made there are on all Fox cars including mine.

Back then it was direct hire and pensions. Now its pretty much online or word of mouth, connections are big too.
    Temp services really came thru while i was looking for the right place. Kept me busy, made new friends, added skills.
    They hooked me up to the last employer to date. Took a year to get hired in. Well worth it. Lots lost patience and quit.
    Last employer offered bonus for finding people. Was 70 hours, sometimes weird schedules. Now is 40 hours of course.
    Worked a bit past full retirement age there. One day 2017 decided had enough. They knew.
    Last edited by gr79; 04-17-2020 at 04:21 PM.

FEP Senior Member

At this point I'm still working. I work for a staffing company that supports an automaker, and we've seen cutbacks already. On my support team, we've lost people so far due to reduced workloads. They've cut salaries for all full-time staff (me included), but I'm still making more than I would on unemployment. I feel fortunate and lucky every day that I don't get a call that I am being let go, laid off, need to look for another account to join because my position is being cut, etc.

Outside of what my 9-5 job is, we have other income sources. We have two different YouTube channels that make a little something every month. While a ton of people are home with time to watch YouTube, ad revenue is down due to advertisers pulling their funding. My car channel is down 40% on revenue (while viewing is up 13%), but our small farm channel is doing stupidly well. It's only down 5% on revenue, yet up 45% on viewing. As advertisers start to come back, that should only pay forward and increase revenue. Meanwhile we're still doing the same things. Building cars and working the farm.

I also do some writing on the side. I had lost one client at the end of last year, but thankfully another asked to double my work and it pays better per article. I currently have two still wanting submissions, and a 3rd has been shutdown as their students are working from home (it's a tech school for high school students). These haven't been affected as much since it's virtual and content doesn't go away like advertising. I could try to find more clients, but am doing more on the farm and in the garage instead.

If I got the call that I was being let go, I'd go on unemployment if needed. My wife and I don't have a lot of debt. We own our house and property and we own all vehicles. We have one credit card we use to keep our credit score up, and we have a few more payments on our tractor. I am not too worried on the short term, but long-term I don't know what I would do for employment. I'm only 45. I'm from a manufacturing background (20 years of auto mfg), and there's little manufacturing of anything where I live. It would get interesting for sure. My wife and I have secondary and tertiary plans already decided on if we have to start making tough choices.

I look at resumes most days as I work in recruiting and talent acquisition. If anyone needs any help with their resume, whether that's a quick look at it or some development, I'm here to help. I'd be happy to offer any advice I can. Just PM me directly, and I can give you a an email address to send your resume to.
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

Quote Originally Posted by liv2roc View Post
    I've been laid off for 5 weeks. waiting for FORD to start building trucks again. We make their bearing and hubs.
    I work for u haul and we are also waiting for ford to start building trucks again lol
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Wait, you make those in Cherryville NC? That's pretty cool. I mean, obviously I feel your pain but I did not realize Ford had suppliers in NC. Sounds like you are maybe on a furlough. You are not getting paid but expected to be able to return (without any specific guarantee that ever happens). I would rather have that if it helps. I can get unemployment if I want to just like you can so I am not exactly sure the technical difference. I know I am not on furlough though. I did get severance pay so maybe that's it?
    Timken bearing plant in Iron Station we make all hubs assembles for all ford trucks. I do not work in that dept anymore I just make regular taper roller cups and cones now for ford large trucks and other heavy machinery. some of us has gone back with reduced hours but not all. I'm making more on unemployment than if I was working those hours.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Luckily I'm still working and haven't skipped a beat. My wife works for our town hall in the Selectman's Office but they've cut her hours from Mon-Fri 8:00am-6:00pm (40 hours) to Tuesday's/Thursday's in the office from 8:00am-12:00am. The rest of the time she's at home working from out computer. As for me, I'm considered essential (we sell fertilizer to farmers nationwide to keep their crops growing) so I've been working my 40 hour weeks. Thus, we haven't missed any paychecks. With that being said, I hope and pray that those who are out of work are able to return asap.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

FEP Member

Looks like I’m supposed to start going back in next week, we will see if it actually happens though

Quote Originally Posted by ClayBelt View Post
    Looks like I’m supposed to start going back in next week, we will see if it actually happens though
    Congrats! I hope it works out. No question they got it wrong for SURE. (like normal). The cure proved FAR worse than the disease. Can't be argued with. The financial damage is immeasurable.

FEP Member

My state has a lot of cases, and like 2000 deaths we are in the top 3 in the USA. Governor says back to work on May 5th but I am skeptical
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

FEP Power Member

I'd say that the most telling stat should be # of deaths per 100,000 residents. NY at over 100 and nearly double the second place state really should be hunkering down for a long haul. But anyone in single digits should really be letting people open up if they want to.

FEP Senior Member

Well, it appears I get to test my theory I mentioned on April 17th. I got furloughed as of last night at 5pm. I had about 36 hours notice that it was coming. No fanfare, no boohooing. One of my managers called and read me the scripted paragraph about how Covid-19 has been affecting business. So as of this morning I still have benefits, which I am thankful for. I had a quick call with a co-worker to hand off my work, as she seems to be one of the few that are staying working on the account I was on. Everyone keeps saying they're hopeful we'll all be back to work soon. I'm pretty skeptical at this point that I'll be called back. I could do the work of three of my co-workers, but I also probably am one of the highest paid people in my position.

I checked on unemployment, and I'll file that on Monday or Tuesday to get the process started. I have a week that I have to sit out, so this will at least get that out of the way. Yesterday afternoon and through last night I have been thinking about what is my next step. If I eventually get let go, do I finally go after that "when I have more free time" list of writing, composites I wanted to tinker with, etc.? It's a hard concept for me to wrap my mind around right now. I grew up thinking you get up every day and go to work for a large company. You work until you're 65, then retire. I'm 45 and I struggle to work for myself. Should I try it again? Maybe. Who knows.