Close

Default Door compatibility?

Hello, I am working on gathering all the parts I need to do the body work on my 82 capri. I'm looking at buying a set of doors as mine are pretty bad. 87-93 mustang doors are all over the place in my area. I called a guy who regularly parts out mustang's and has a bunch of doors but he told me the older ones are quite a bit different and probably wont work. Can someone offer some insight please.

they should fit. BUT - the molding along the dew wipe is different. If you use them you would have to fill them as your molding is smaller. A lot of holes on the inside of the door where the panel attaches will likely be different as well.

But they do work. You just have to do more work. I know as I used 88 doors on my 84. Filled the hole along dew wipe and had to hassle with reattaching my panels. I think those were the biggest issues. Good doors are hard to find in the Northeast so I did the extra work when I found a mint pair that had sat in a barn for 10 years.Name:  stang 1.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  173.0 KB

Thanks for the reply. So it doesnt sound terrible if I have to go that route. Any thoughts on using power doors in place of my original. Thinking the wiring should be pretty straightforward

We recently used a 1990 power door on our 1983 Mustang. I welded the extra holes shut across the top edge and did a little body work and was good to go. As mentioned the door panel is a bit different but I didn't have any issue with that. It covered the speaker hole in the 1990 door. The 83 Mustang already had power windows and everything plugged in fine.

Most of the issues are mentioned above such as the top molding holes and the speaker hole. Obviously the late 88-93 Convertible and the late 88 T-top doors are unique to those models and will not interchange with solid roof doors due to removal of the mirror mount at the leading edge of the door. Any 87-93 solid roof/sunroof doors will work fine.

I believe the door panel clip difference is generally 79-82 and 83-93, but I would have to double check. Essentially Ford moved the position of one or two of the door panel clips from the previous years. In most cases you can just leave out the clips that don't line up and everything still works fine. You will need to swap out your electrical harness for PW/PL as the pigtails in the doors are different due to the change in switches. I have been swapping doors for many years now and other than the issues mentioned they are interchangeable, so buy the best doors you can and you will be fine.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for the replies guys. I picked up a set of doors today that are in perfect shape. They are supposedly off of an 84 svo but there is a speaker hole in the door so im assuming this cant be true. other than the speaker hole i cant find any other differences so im assuming the extra holes have already been body worked or i just dont know what im looking for. He also gave me the wiring harnesses for them which have the old style switches so thats an indication that they may have been on an older car i guess. Just to clarify my capri originally has manual doors so i think im going to attempt to convert as my wife likes the idea of power windows. Cant imagine it will be too hard.

Congrats! Just understand that many owners over the years cut their doors for speakers, so unless the hole is a stamped opening they may very well be original SVO doors. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller